Delta v anomaly/human error

I'm pretty new to all this rocket science, so my goal with all this was basically to practice applying the rocket equation with a simple scenario.

I built as simple a rocket as I could. It consisted of just the following components:

1. Command Pod Mk1

2. Mk16 Parachute

3. TR-18A Stack Decoupler

4. FL-T200 Fuel Tank

5. LV-T30 Liquid Fuel Engine

Obviously with this set up I'm not even trying to get into orbit. I just wanted to predict what the velocity of the rocket would be at the exact instant that the burn ended.

I used this formula,

vf = (Thrust/m')*ln((mtotal)/(mtotal-m'(tf)))-g0*tf

I calculated a tf of 14.6 seconds which is roughly consistent with when the burn ended during the actual launch. Using the above formula I calculated a vf of 963.76 meters per second, whereas my rocket's actual velocity peaked at about 363 meters per second.

So was the discrepancy caused by drag, an error in my calculations, or something else?

You lost a boat load to air resistance and gravity drag. If you use Mr. Manley's video:

You can edit your ship right into orbit (stock); there you will have negligible losses. I did something like this, testing the Rocket equation, and my calculation was only off by 1 m/s.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.