Spatha, 11-kerbal crew shuttle SSTO.

Rune

So, to complement the magnificent Broadsword, the finest minds at R-SUV recreated some of its most successful aerodynamic qualities, and coupled them with another tricks in their bag (like the uneven number of airbreathers offering flameout protection) to bring about the crew transfer complement to that wonderful cargo SSTO. This is what they came up with!

baTnx8U.png

With the same elegant wingform as it big cousin, the Spatha has, however, slightly worse aerodynamics qualities when unloaded (i.e: since all the fuel is in the back, it'll want to fall like a lawndart), which get negated somewhat by the interesting main engine arrangement. The central RAPIER is positioned under the centerline, offering an upwards torque that makes the vehicle behave perfectly fine while under thrust. To compensate, the Spatha has much higher fuel margins all around than the Broadsword, making it capable of accessing most medium orbits with ease, while still being able to perform a safe return to launch site under power. It is recommended to fool around with switching the central engine on and off, and into and out of airbreathing mode, to milk the most performance out of it, but by default the RAPIERS are toggled on automatic mode in case you don't want to mess with that. I usually switch the central one to manual toggle, just so it keeps on when the others go into rocket mode. Then I have them staggered, and pressing 2 to switch modes will get me the two lateral ones in airbreathing mode and the central in rocket mode. Then when I get the second flameout, two again changes it around, allowing me to milk air a bit further, then I just let the central engine flame out and switch it off because the thrust is not on the center of mass and you don't really need the extra thrust by then.... That sounds much more complicated than it actually is. Anyhow, it'll work without those shenanigans, too! And then you won't even get asymmetric thrust at any point, just a smooth if a bit less efficient climb to orbit. Point and forget, almost.

IMGUR ALBUM:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

DOWLOAD:

http://www./download/dq66a5ws65jxg8b/SSTO+Mk+XXIV+-+Spatha.craft

Rune. This took much longer to release than to make ^^'

Edited by Rune

Just what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Glad to be of help!

Isn't that an 11 Kerbal design? Two Hitchhikers plus the Mk3 Cockpit?

Indeed it is, indeed it is... but apparently I can't add. :blush: Brainfart!

Does it have a gun that shoots behind it so it can fire on the enemy while fleeing? :)

I feel as if I should get the reference... :S

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.