Kerbal Automotive Company

Shna_na

Hello! Glad I found this thread, so many cool car designs! Here is one I made just now: The Wiily Jeep Mk1 ! It is a basic 2 seater made for basic KSC offroading and rescue! (srry about giant pics, guys)

Qs9mazH.png

also drives ok without 2 wheels...

yIIgn4c.png

comes with complimentary video!

Edited by SaplingPick

but what i do care is the functionality.... everything works

This challenge is aesthetics > functionality. Maybe you could sacrifice some functionality for aesthetics?

and i did a little rule bending there (because solar panel just doesn't go along with a Monster with reputation for a gas guzzler)...

it has 2 nuclear engine, each limited to 10% max power... altho it's slightly pointing towards the back, so it does a very, VERY small amount of forward thrust, but not enough for a forward motion more than 0.5m/.

Hmmm, it is against the rules to use any engines, but at only 0.5m/s I'll let it slide. And it's for aesthetic purposes, so I suppose I can't really complain.

Hello! Glad I found this thread, so many cool car designs! Here is one I made just now: The Wiily Jeep Mk1 ! It is a basic 2 seater made for basic KSC offroading and rescue!

Nice loading area. I'd recommend making a dashboard for it, you seem to have plenty of room to do so in there. Remember, less is more, so don't go overkill!

You got it! I also messed around with it afterwards and it can be turned into a VTOL, a RATOL, a big pile of crushed metal, and I will add a dashboard and make it look nicer now in the Mk2 version of it. Look forward for other people's designs!

EDIT: Hey, check it out! Wiily MK2 Jeep just came out! now with a brand new dashboard and more panels to look nicer, + roof above the kerbals and intakes for looks! PICS:

qea7yJZ.png

fX6MLD4.png

cxejxQr.png

And comes with an exahust pipe, woks if you turn infinite fuel on, cause the car doesn't have any for being valid.

Togscce.png

Edited by SaplingPick

Threw this together the other day, I call it the "Pee Huan", props to anybody that gets it.

It's pretty good, max speed of 60 m/s (wheels will break if you go any faster), thanks to aero it corners flat even with all wheel steering and is pretty good for bipping about in! Looks a bit like a Porsche 911/VW Beetle, can house 2 kerbals and is able to be kitted out with science equipment too.

It has a very strong safety cell with a roll cage which has survived crashed up to 40 m/s, and should be safe in the event of rolls, Kerbals are safely enclosed within the cell.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I've also made a ruggedized offroad version if anybody is interested!

Craft file

Edited by OTehNoes

Lovely! I also made a trophy truck last night which looks interesting, but I'm still in the process of tweaking it!

The Pee Huan is more or less finished though if you can find any problems let me know and I'll be sure to try my best to address them!

Edited by OTehNoes

I'm interested in seeing the offroad version, actually!

Here you are then!

Presenting the Pea Huan Grandé! Shares a its chassis with the standard Pea Huan, except the chassis has been lightened, and it has been fitted with tougher wheels. Low centre of mass combined with reaction wheel technology means the Grandé climbs like a mountain goat.

It shares the same crash cell making it safe in the event of rolling too!

Want the .craft file?

Okie doke! Well this is my Trophy Truck! 100% Kerbal control. It has a fairly long wheelbase making it stable, however aero all round mean it corners flat with all wheel steering, even at max speed! Though being a hefty thing that speed isn't that high (24.5 m/s on flat, can somehow go fast up hills...)

It is also quite strong, can happily survive rolls, though due to there being no torque, if you get it on its roof its game over I'm afraid.

I might release the .craft file if enough people ask for it, I do take pride in this one!

I have been working on a realistic car suspension utilizing stock parts for a little while and have decided to show it off for this challenge. The car is too top heavy and experiences quite a bit of body roll, but I'm still optimizing the system.

Here is a picture of the core

fPIqllM.png

Edited by TheBobWiley

You got it! I also messed around with it afterwards and it can be turned into a VTOL, a RATOL, a big pile of crushed metal, and I will add a dashboard and make it look nicer now in the Mk2 version of it. Look forward for other people's designs!

EDIT: Hey, check it out! Wiily MK2 Jeep just came out! now with a brand new dashboard and more panels to look nicer, + roof above the kerbals and intakes for looks! PICS:

http://i.imgur.com/qea7yJZ.png

http://i.imgur.com/fX6MLD4.png

http://i.imgur.com/cxejxQr.png

And comes with an exahust pipe, woks if you turn infinite fuel on, cause the car doesn't have any for being valid.

http://i.imgur.com/Togscce.png

...that's no Willis Jeep. That's a badass looking Baja 1000 truck! I love it.

I have been working on a realistic car suspension utilizing stock parts for a little while and have decided to show it off for this challenge. The car is too top heavy and experiences quite a bit of body roll, but I'm still optimizing the system.

http://i.imgur.com/fPIqllM.png

Oh nice, abusing the floppiness of KSP's joints to get a quasi-realistic movement out of a car. I love it.

*snip*

*sniper

Very cool, I did make a similar system with my Trophy Truck, but the body roll just made it roll over under hard cornering, so I stiffened the chassis up. Still has some roll, but aerodynamics keep it shiny side up!

Very cool, I did make a similar system with my Trophy Truck, but the body roll just made it roll over under hard cornering, so I stiffened the chassis up. Still has some roll, but aerodynamics keep it shiny side up!

TROPHY TRUCK? as in baja long arm-32 inchs of rear suspension travel 28 in the front, 160 mph-5 tons of pure off road awesome?!

YES PICS ARE NEEDED FOR SUCH A THING.....ASAP.:)

edit: never mind I found the pics.......But the body roll is what makes the truck fun, and also seeing how much articulation you can get out of the suspension.

Edited by Tidus Klein

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.