[0.24] Distant Object Enhancement 1.3.1 - Planets/satellites in the night sky! (7/29)

Rubber Ducky

I know that when looking to the sun.. background star disapear.. i want to change that... at least some vivisble. Can i change that? in that case... where?

Thnx

I know that when looking to the sun.. background star disapear.. i want to change that... at least some vivisble. Can i change that? in that case... where?

Enable and use the DOE button for the toolbar in the Space Center scene to access the settings

First: congratulations on this mod!

I absolutely adore the visual effects of it. Would and will never play without it.

It adds so much more to the general atmo of the game :)

And here comes a very special question:

Is there a possibility to display the planet's/moon's name right next to it. And if so, in the HUD-less display (F2)?

YOg0HJQ.png?1

And here comes a very special question:

Is there a possibility to display the planet's/moon's name right next to it. And if so, in the HUD-less display (F2)?

Most definitely, in fact, Anatid sent me a pull request with all of the code necessary for that already. It'll be included in the next version, if I ever get around to it before I leave. :P

Of course, there's a ton of stuff that I want to do for the next version, mostly on the technical side, so hopefully I have time for it.

Most definitely, in fact, Anatid sent me a pull request with all of the code necessary for that already. It'll be included in the next version, if I ever get around to it before I leave. :P

I hate to be a pain, but would there be a way to turn it off? The whole reason I turn the GUI off is to get rid of text and well, GUI elements. I'm trying to think of hotkeys that aren't assigned, but all I can think of is F3 maybe? F4 toggles the ship markers in the GUI and F5 is quicksave.. come to think of it, apart from F1, F2, F4, F5 and F9, those are all free - would it be possible to bind the plnet tags to one of those? Or have the otherwise nonfunctional toolbar button work in flight to toggle them on or off?

I hate to be a pain, but would there be a way to turn it off? The whole reason I turn the GUI off is to get rid of text and well, GUI elements. I'm trying to think of hotkeys that aren't assigned, but all I can think of is F3 maybe? F4 toggles the ship markers in the GUI and F5 is quicksave.. come to think of it, apart from F1, F2, F4, F5 and F9, those are all free - would it be possible to bind the plnet tags to one of those? Or have the otherwise nonfunctional toolbar button work in flight to toggle them on or off?

It'll definitely be toggle-able. I probably won't make it turn on when the GUI is off - then it'd ruin all of your screenshots - I'll probably make it the other way around. I also hope I can make settings adjustable in-flight this time around.

How's the perspective looking for a version that doesn't require toolbar & doesn't have an in-game menu? (I'm perfectly cool with editing .cfg, though actually: I like it as it is by default).

Great mod. The skybox dimming is good but too much for me. I'd like a slider to adjust the dimming. Also, the same dimming or alpha needs to be applied to the added planets and debris. They're too bright compared to the skybox.

Bump.

The planet brightness needs sliders, max and min, especially for those of us with custom skyboxes (most of us). They look like navigation lights against my skybox. Planet brightnesss needs to be min when the skybox brightness is min (looking at sun).

Bump.

The planet brightness needs sliders, max and min, especially for those of us with custom skyboxes (most of us). They look like navigation lights against my skybox. Planet brightnesss needs to be min when the skybox brightness is min (looking at sun).

Isn't there a thing like that in the toolbar for this mod?

What is your problem with the Toolbar?
especially when the toolbar will be a default UI element in .24

I'm not Sky_walker, but I don't want this when I'm playing:

wow_raid_interface.jpg

I just want the functionality, with no in-game clutter of any kind. A toggleable GUI sounds great.

I'm not Sky_walker, but I don't want this when I'm playing:

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/images/wow_raid_interface.jpg

I just want the functionality, with no in-game clutter of any kind. A toggleable GUI sounds great.

The toolbar mod is togglable and higly customizable . No clutter at all..just take a look: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60863

Great mod. The skybox dimming is good but too much for me. I'd like a slider to adjust the dimming. Also, the same dimming or alpha needs to be applied to the added planets and debris. They're too bright compared to the skybox.

Isn't there a thing like that in the toolbar for this mod?
that only controls how much the skybox shows up when the sky isn't dimmed (from 0 to 100%), it doesn't reduce the dimming effect at all

Yeah. What he said. Didn't you try the settings to see what they did? From Kerbin orbit, look back at Kerbol. You'll see the stars fade out but the planets and moons are there bright as ever. They should dim for the same reason that the stars do.

They should dim for the same reason that the stars do.

I don't think that's how it works.

640px-Moonmir_sts91_big.jpg

STS-135_final_flyaround_of_ISS_1.jpg

PIA17936_fig1.jpg

_55048306_55048305.jpg

Jupiter and it's moons

FromTelescope.jpg

Apollo_11_lunar_module.jpg

a14det9191-2Venus.jpg

640px-Crescent_Earth_and_Venus_over_the_Apollo_14_LM.jpg

The dim star light doesn't give enough exposure to be visible, unlike the bright nearby reflection off of planets/moons. To quote the link,

• Stars are also never seen in Space Shuttle, Mir, International Space Station Earth observation photos, or even sporting events that take place at night.
  • Professional astronomer and two-time Space Shuttle astronaut Ronald A. Parise stated that he could barely see stars at all from space.
  • astronaut Neil Armstrong states, "We were never able to see stars from the lunar surface or on the daylight side of the Moon by eye without looking through the optics". Stars were visible with the naked eye only when they were in the shadow of the Moon. All of the landings were in daylight.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

Is there any way to configure this the scale the dimming based on distance from the light source? I currently play RSS and I noticed today while I was tweaking my custom asteroid config for that mod that this mod completely blacks out the sky even when zoomed so far out that the orbit of Pluto is small on the screen. My understanding is that the farther you get from the sun, the less this effect should occur such that by the time you reach the orbit of Pluto, the Sun should be so dim it almost fades into the background of stars.