Gettting a Steam key without transferring KSP Store purchase

Uchuu

Got a quick question, I'm curious to know if its possible to get a Steam key for KSP from a KSP Store purchase while keeping the KSP Store copy? Sorry if this has been asked before at some point, I tried looking and couldn't find anything on this. Could have been asked before the forums got reset.

I've had KSP since spring 2012 and if I can add it to my Steam library great, if not I'll be keeping the KSP Store copy for the time being. For those wondering why I want to keep the KSP Store copy, I don't want to have to deal with Steam patching the game automatically and losing mods and/or saves. Yes I know auto patching can be disabled but I've seen games where I had auto patching disabled and they still got patched.

I bought KSP before 0.18 on the ksp store. After then, around 0.22 I thought about transferring into Steam. But I collecting the previous versions so I don't wanted to give up the store version. I payed happily for the second time for this great game. It totally worth it. For me and for supporting the developers too.

But I collecting the previous versions so I don't wanted to give up the store version.

You can just zip up the newly installed version from the Steam folder when it updates, that's what I do. There's no difference between versions aside from the delivery method.

If you have the steam version and want to keep the old version to play after a patch then just copy the KSP folder from your steam library folder to a different location and start it with the KSP.exe rather than through steam.

Same applies if you want a stock install and a modded install.

Of course you need to do this BEFORE steam auto patches it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.