Misadventures of a Budding Space Program (Realism Overhaul)

Omicron314

So, after aggregating and installing most of the Realism Overhaul mods, I decided to restart the game yet again. RSS and other mods make the game much harder, and I figured I would post my successes and failures here for your amusement.

If you haven't tried Realism Overhaul yet I really recommend it. NovaSilisko was right when he said KSP gives you a sense that space travel is easy: after a few hours of this you can appreciate the work the space programs of the world do to a much greater extent.

Anyway, real-sized space program!

I - Soviet Krussia and the Dawn of Satellites

II - Project Zapad and the Beginning of Manned Exploration

Soviet Krussia and the Dawn of Satellites

I decided I was not going to bother with sub-orbital rockets in this save. We are a space program, not fascist Germany!

Naturally, the first thing you send into space is a Sputnik analogue. Please put your hands together for Stayputnik-1!

546q7a.png

... That was much less climatic than I thought it would be. But the satellite is nice and simple.

Now, a launcher...

33ky5i1.png

By the way, this is totally not a Sputnik-PS rip-off.

But let's put any potential copyright infringement aside. It is time to into space!

j73ll1.png

Yeah, no.

Attempt two is a little more successful:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I took some liberties in the design of Stayputnik-2. Here it is in the VAB:

2ecnm0l.png

I am almost moderately confident there is no dog in there.

The launch of this satellite was nearly identical to that of its predecessor, so I won't post the images. However, here is a nice shot of the separation of the core stage:

m9q6vr.png

And here is the satellite in orbit:

2j5xngp.png

Laika, you're not coming home.

And before you ask, yes, I did change the design of the satellite after I took that first screenshot. It was ugly.

And such ended a historic day in Kerbal history. But, on the other side of the ocean, engineers were frantically scrambling together plans to build a rocket. The people of whatever-you-call-the-USA-analogue-in-this-game could not allow their enemy such a victory They had to build a bigger, better satellite, and for that, they needed a bigger, better booster.

After "careful deliberation," the greatest minds of this as-of-yet unnamed superpower presented their idea, the Exploder-1 satellite, to the head of the national space program.

wvpaol.png

And the booster they used to launch it was most certainly not based on the Jupiter-C rocket.

n8fbl.png

Because it wasn't. That booster never reached space. It had problems. So many problems.

So I made this booster:

332lz6c.png

Which looks very similar, but is smaller and uses better engines (yay FASA!).

And so, the launch.

Not too many pictures in this one, unfortunately. I was so fed up with all of the time-consuming failures of the first booster I forgot to take more pictures.

Anyway, the Exploder-2 craft was later sent up to remedy the fact that the Exploder-1 lacked any means of power generation. Careful deliberation indeed.

So, that's all I have for now. I hope you enjoyed reading this!

Edited by Omicron314

Enjoy the frustrations that come with realism :).

I played Orbiter for many long years. If you discover you actually enjoy the frustrations of realistic spaceflight, you should definitely give it a try. First, it's free. 2nd, being designed as a realistic simulator from the get-go instead of as a beer-and-pretzels game, Orbiter does a better job of realism than heavily modded KSP.

I myself don't enjoy such frustrations because they're so disillusioning. Orbiter destroyed my dreams of humanity ever doing anything meaningful in space, at least until we can reverse-engineer a UFO. But it was still fun to fly around in the real Solar System, so I kept doing it for years. However, I kicked it to the curb the moment I discovered KSP. Sure, KSP isn't at all realistic, but it's a lot more fun, at least IMHO :).

But anyway, I'm enjoying your story so far. Keep it up.

EDIT: Here's how to embed albums:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/36010-Introducing-the-Ability-to-Embed-Imgur-Albums%21?highlight=imgur

Edited by Geschosskopf

Project Zapad and the Beginning of Manned Exploration

So, after the launchings of the first satellites, the Kerbal Space Program decided it was time to turn its attention to launching a Kerbal into space. They named the project "Zapad," which supposedly means "West" in an obscure alien tongue. It did not take long for them to design a booster:

xf80uc.png

That's not to say there weren't problems. There were.

But after all those kinks were worked out, the rocket was very successful. Here are pictures from one of the launches:

There were 6 launches in total. Jebediah, Bill, Bob, Kering, Samman, and some other guy each went into orbit and performed a spacewalk. One even rendezvoused with a satellite:

ok4o79.png

It is a powerful rocket. I got my apoapsis up pretty high and only spent a fourth of the fuel in the final stage.

2zz72ug.png

You know, this would make a really good one-person crew transport. It is practically flawless!

2cctgz5.png

Well then, I stand corrected.

Once again, thank you for reading!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.