What's the best stock way to connect a truck & a trailer?

Hi there!

I know that there are some threads discussing the same issue, but they are pretty old & outdated, so I didn't want to bump them.

My question is the following: What's the best method in vanilla KSP to connect a truck and a trailer (so the trailer would be pulled by the truck, but itself would turn almost independently)?

I've seen more truck designs in 0.23, but I've never seen the actual solution. I've also been experimenting with RTGs between the two "modules" (as they are the most "wiggly" parts, afaik), but still, my truck design is too rigid to resemble an actual articulated vehicle. (the difference in angle between the truck and its trailer is like 10°, or even less).

ElmZlWE.png

great MS paint image

Did you develop a good hinge/ball socket dunno which is the correct word for trucks?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by jmiki8

Thanks! I'm trying it asap!

EDIT: It's still too rigid... I've attached a trailer with a jumbo tank to my ~10 ton truck, and the two docking pods kept being rock solid. Is there a way to make it flexible?

Edited by jmiki8

i'm not sure how to send you the craft file..... give me a few minutes

k i think i figured it out

http://www./view/r3whxzipm7gwm36/DT_Truck_&_Trailer.craft

let me know if that works. it was created in the SPH

http://www./view/hphztc8sjvkli23/PT_Trailer_Hitch.craft

there is the hitch subassembly originally made in the VAB

Edited by Cerberus738

So i got rid of the rover wheels and just used cubic octagonals to hold it in place. its oddly stable lol. i took it into the hills west of ksc and took a really sharp turn after doing some jumps and it jackknifed.... sadly the legs broke off so i can't get under it again.

d55pjTI.png

L6kfv1k.png

v3J5X7C.png

Je3bqKO.png

i switched to empty rcs tanks because they have a higher crash tolerance. should probably move the hitch forward so its more in the center of the 2 axles. it tends to flip the nose up the way it is now. also need stronger legs to lift it clear when unhitching. another problem is controlling the trailer brakes. the trailer doesn't slow down when you hit the brakes so it gets all flippy ha ha ha. i might try something with KAS to give me control of the trailer brakes.

Edited by Cerberus738

So i got rid of the rover wheels and just used cubic octagonals to hold it in place. its oddly stable lol. i took it into the hills west of ksc and took a really sharp turn after doing some jumps and it jackknifed.... sadly the legs broke off so i can't get under it again.

Pic snip

i switched to empty rcs tanks because they have a higher crash tolerance. should probably move the hitch forward so its more in the center of the 2 axles. it tends to flip the nose up the way it is now. also need stronger legs to lift it clear when unhitching. another problem is controlling the trailer brakes. the trailer doesn't slow down when you hit the brakes so it gets all flippy ha ha ha. i might try something with KAS to give me control of the trailer brakes.

If you do use KAS I suggest using the Fuel line part, and not the winches. Also, Infernal Robotics has some free spinning bearings.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.