A CG rendering of a space shuttle R-Bar Pitch Manoeuvre

DunaRocketeer

I've loved space shuttles for as long as I've been interested in spaceflight. So since I work with 3D software, I wanted to try my hand at doing a space scene with my favourite vehicle featured.

These three stills are from an R-Bar Pitch Manoeuvre, where a shuttle backflips so that its heatshield can be checked by ISS cameras.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendezvous_pitch_maneuver

s8ZrYbi.jpg

What's that in the payload bay? It looks like an ISS node module, but I can't tell which one because no module has a foward/aft port that looks like that. They always use CBMs. But the rest of the model looks great and you even got the proper rotation on the node piece, so awesome work.

What's that in the payload bay? It looks like an ISS node module, but I can't tell which one because no module has a foward/aft port that looks like that. They always use CBMs. But the rest of the model looks great and you even got the proper rotation on the node piece, so awesome work.

Argh, I don't know what I was thinking, putting a Russian design on a Node module!

Thanks for your kind comments guys :)

I've loved space shuttles for as long as I've been interested in spaceflight. So since I work with 3D software, I wanted to try my hand at doing a space scene with my favourite vehicle featured.

These three stills are from an R-Bar Pitch Manoeuvre, where a shuttle backflips so that its heatshield can be checked by ISS cameras.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendezvous_pitch_maneuver

http://i.imgur.com/s8ZrYbi.jpg

Beautiful work! Max has amazing lighting, even though I've never been a fan of it as a modeling too. (Personal preference; not a slam against the software AT ALL! :))

Is that your mesh?

Edited by Avindair
Fixed for being a dolt. :)

I use 3DSMax with Vray for lighting and rendering. Photoshop for texture mapping and compositing.

That is one really heavy duty renderer that you use! How many samples/pixel did you use? Rendering time? GPU or CPU? Memory consumption?

And the biggest question that I have is how do get Vray at all? I suppose you are a professional modeller, as legit Vray is expensive

In terms of general render settings, I can get away with low settings on the irradience map because I'm not animating and there's not a lot of enclosed spaces in space :P

We're not using Vray RT so it's CPU rendering here. That works out fine because the machines are pretty good (6 hyperthreaded cores, 32gig RAM!) and the scenes really aren't that large in the grand scheme of things.

Software can be expensive, but I think vray does an educational version that may be cheaper?

Edited by DunaRocketeer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.