My very first craft

Hachouma

Well, it started out as a fuel tank with wings, but i got carried away.

I apologize for any grief endured while trying to fly my ship, or simply looking at it, and in my defense, still don't know half of the game's parts, and probably more than 70% of the hot keys.

Thus, i present the F-1337 Ridiculous:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Basically, a jet bomber booster-er

How to use:

1- Activate SAS, really, you won't make it manually.

2- Press S until the plane sits back (the wheels everything will break explode if you try to take off normally)

3- Press 1 to start the engines. Don't press space.

4- It flies!

5- Press 2 to drop the missile, normally, it will decouple from the plane and drop the jet. (and obviously, ignite)

6- Press 3 to ignite the middle jet engine. Don't use it while the missile is still attached because it will throw you off even more off balance.

Download here

What do you think of it?

If i figure out how to make a bigger plane that doesn't wobble (and flies), i might adapt it for a large booster.

Also, this is my first post, so

Hello :)

Edit: Updated, more unstable maneuverable (with the missile), takes off vertically. Press 1 to ignite engines, 2 to launch missile, 3 to get rid of the legs.

Edited by Hachouma

To avoid wobble, strut your stuff. Hehe, play on words...I amuse me. Anyway, to avoid wobble, just make sure to strut everything. The struts weigh squat so don't worry about that and if you zoom in you can put the struts inside stuff so you don't see them everywhere. Also, nice first craft, mine was more a kerban execution device...

To avoid wobble, strut your stuff.

Or, if you, like me, hate struts (because they're useless parts that only do something that shouldn't be necessary in the first place), grab the Kerbal Joint Reinforcement mod. It adds no parts, and all it does is help your craft not unexpectedly disassemble itself on launch or load, and reinforces attachments between parts.

Barring that, spam struts like everyone else :P

Also really good job. Especially if that was the first thing you ever made in the game. I think my first craft ever was a command pod, a tiny fuel tank, and an LV-T30. And that flew approximately like a washing machine.

I've also noticed that with my planes, wobble on the runway comes from either angled or misaligned landing gear. Like if your landing gear on the front is 5 degrees off straight your plane will always twist and crash before takeoff. Holding SHIFT while you rotate stuff can help with fine tuning that.

Edited by Immashift

While making this, a question came up; is it possible to set a delay for something to happen after you press a key? because initially, there was only one wheel on the nose, and i was looking for a way to drop it before igniting it, before being forced to come up with the ugliest solution i could find.

Is that even possible?

Edited by Hachouma

Hmmm, well, as you can see, i already used struts on the Ridiculous, but when i tried making something larger, it still wobbled before even taking off.

So (and this is where your advice comes into the action) i added more struts, which fixed the issue; but then there was the missile, whose size is directly in proportion to the ugliness it requires for the plane to lift it.

It's slower, flies better, and comes in two versions:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

How can i further improve this? Maybe one day those missiles will be tipped with a probe (or at least something), instead of the current uselessness.

Pathos-B

Pathos-S

Also;

While making this, a question came up; is it possible to set a delay for something to happen after you press a key? because initially, there was only one wheel on the nose i wanted to store the big missile internally, and i was looking for a way to drop it before igniting it, before being forced to come up with the new ugliest solution i could find.

Is that even possible?

Edited by Hachouma

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.