[0.90WIP] Procedural Parts - Parts the way you want 'em 0.9.21, Dec 19

swamp_ig

Would you prefer decouplers to:  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer decouplers to:

• Closely as possible follow stock behaviour
    • Have a sensible relation between size, decoupler force, and mass

I'm not sure if this has been tabled yet (probably has, but it's early and my caffeine level has yet to reach where it should be), but how easy would it be to have a procedural habitat/command module? Adding the appropriate modules (SAS, Crew Capacity etc.) is easy, but it needs a hatch :) - I'm very new to modding and how everything works in KSP but if, as I understand it, a hatch is defined by an invisible object in Unity, would it be possible for the 'hatch' object to be positioned in the nominal 'front' of the procedural object (i.e. what you see from a starting position in VAB) to enable textures to match it's location and NOT to scale with the rest of the object, but remain in its position?

For reference, I love this mod already - I'm looking forward to continuing developments :)

Cheers,

Erasmus UK

Yeah pretty much, I hadn't thought to expand it to a generalised case.

Really I had thought of just making it a box - eight points, not as a series of profiles along a curve / line.

That's about as far as I can get atm, I think - It's more of an exercise of learning how to write mods, and if I could contribute something useful in the process, all the better.

:) I'm a bit of a maths nerd, but I always find the geometry and calculus the most fun to work out.

I saw your quadrilateral diagram, just wasn't quite sure how that corresponded to a 3D structure. There's a whole family of different hexahedrons http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexahedron .

You might want to consider extending ProceduralAbstract shape directly, rather than SoR because that's really for surfaces of revolution. The downside to this is you'll need to do all the shape building plus implement AddAttachement, which requires a lot of thought to get it right (there's other 1000 LoC in AbstractSOR, it took me ages to write and perfect). If you want to proceed with this I can let you know how it works in a PM.

Edit:

If what you want is an extrude, might be worth waiting until I do the abstract base class for extrudes. Don't ask if you can do that for me however, cos I wouldn't give that up for anything :P

Edited by swamp_ig

I'm not sure if this has been tabled yet (probably has, but it's early and my caffeine level has yet to reach where it should be), but how easy would it be to have a procedural habitat/command module?

Fusty was working on this, not sure how it's going, haven't heard in a while.

In answer - probably not too hard. The tricky part would be the IVA and getting that to scale sensibly. If you didn't care about the IVA, then probably pretty easy. I haven't actually looked into it much.

I'm sure this feature will be implemented at some point, but for now can help with the "other mods" bit, I've made a set of Add-ons that add procedural tanks for Kethane, TAC, Interstellar and Extra-planetary launch pads, as soon as swamp_ig gives me a green light i'll release them :) They're ready for release.

Here's my thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/75761-WIP-%280-23-5%29-Procedural-Parts-mod-compatibility-extra-tanks

Any other mods you'd like to see catered for just send me a PM :)

And by service module do you mean it creates power, of just holds it?

if it just holds (and just charges at a constant rate regardless of size) I could knock one together in about 20-30 minutes, but if you'd want the charge to scale with the size that's quite complicated

EDIT:

How does this look? :) The service module only creates 18 electrical charge a minute, too high?

http://i.imgur.com/7Z5rI5Y.png

Please, don`t go red...

EDIT : just noticed the `texture` slider so ignore my worries about red CM`s

Looks good if it can be textured. Would the weight be calculated as though it had the largest tanks for its size or would reducing the RCS amount for example reduce the dry weight? (hope that made sense)

On the electric front, 18/min seems in the right area. I would say field test it now to see if it`s enough, not enough. Don`t go higher, even with a single RTG I often can`t use all the power.

IVA may be an issue. I use RasterPropMonitors for my IVA needs for example and a shifting IVA may not play well with other mods.

Edited by John FX

Please, don`t go red...

EDIT : just noticed the `texture` slider so ignore my worries about red CM`s

Looks good if it can be textured. Would the weight be calculated as though it had the largest tanks for its size or would reducing the RCS amount for example reduce the dry weight? (hope that made sense)

On the electric front, 18/min seems in the right area. I would say field test it now to see if it`s enough, not enough. Don`t go higher, even with a single RTG I often can`t use all the power.

IVA may be an issue. I use RasterPropMonitors for my IVA needs for example and a shifting IVA may not play well with other mods.

It uses practically 33% of a stock RTG (or there shouts), and as you resize the part it's weight is recalculated, so a tank 10m long will weigh more than a tank at 5m, :)

Unfortunately this part doesn't actually hold crew or have an internal, I wasn't sure what else to call it but the description in-game says it's a sealed unit.

If this doesn't answer what you meant just post again and I'll answer best I can :)

As for the texture thing (don't worth I saw the edit :) lol) it's really difficult to shop off how you can have different textures without spamming two dozen pictures on the thread :P lol

Edited by Eggman360

Would it be possible to create procedural(size only) parts using existing models? Such as heatshields, decouplers and LES's?

As far as I know the beauty of this mod comes from straightforward geometry, cones, cylinders and even spheres are straightforward to texture, but stock and asymmetrical parts are a different kettle of fish, I agree that I'd like to see more complex shapes and textures, but I'm not sure how easy that would be

Yes there is

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/?p=63897

But it is different than generating models procedurally. Would be nice though if eventually we'd have both in stock ksp.

Not quite what I'm looking for, it would be nice to dynamically rescale it to weird sizes(like 8.4m etc.). For Real Solar System tehre are a lot of parts that would greatly benefit from being scalable in their size(and related part mass).

Not quite what I'm looking for, it would be nice to dynamically rescale it to weird sizes(like 8.4m etc.).

I suppose it would be relatively simple to include in that mod the option to unlock the scaling.

I suppose it would be relatively simple to include in that mod the option to unlock the scaling.

It would require rewriting the code as the mod contains no .cfg's for that. Nor does the module in the part that enables the scanning have an option for that(it only has a default scale).

Yes it would require change to the code. At least it would be easier to have free rescaling of existing models with that mod, than to have it included in the procedural parts mod.

Hey I made some parts for Extra Planetary Launchpads and Kethane:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20220352/TankEPL.cfg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20220352/TankKethane.cfg

TankEPL can store either ore, metal or rocketparts

TankKethane can store kethane

EDIT - Forgot to mention their storage capacity matches that of the respective mods

Edited by Xenoamor

I don't want procedurally generated parts per se. Just rescaleable parts(and maybe modifcation of their resources too if at all possible). Would've been nice to have that and this all-in-one. Guess I'll have to start learning how to mod KSP using scripting...

I don't want procedurally generated parts per se. Just rescaleable parts(and maybe modifcation of their resources too if at all possible). Would've been nice to have that and this all-in-one. Guess I'll have to start learning how to mod KSP using scripting...

Can you clarify the difference between "procedural" and "simply re-scalable and being able to select what they hold", because the second option is pretty much what this mod is

Those two mean the same thing here, unless procedural means something else?

Hey I made some parts for Extra Planetary Launchpads and Kethane

TankEPL can store either ore, metal or rocketparts

TankKethane can store kethane

EDIT - Forgot to mention their storage capacity matches that of the respective mods

Isn't this pretty much the exact same thing I released yesterday :s lol : http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76156-0-23-5-Procedural-mod-resource-storage-parts

Edited by Eggman360

What procedural means is that the model is generated based on the dimensions you put in.

There is no scaling of models done, the models are 1:1 scale.

This lends certain advantages - for example the mesh has a dynamic number of vertexes depending on the size. This means a small tank will be faster to render than a huge one as you don't need lots of extra detail when the part is tiny. This works also with the bezier cones - they only have enough points in the mesh to make it look smooth at normal camera distances. If you zoom right in you can see that it's actually a series of truncated cones.

I have thought about a rescaling plugin, but that's available elsewhere, plus for me not that interesting to do.

How exactly does 0.9.0 interact with 0.8.1? Do the ships not load or what, I don't see how a fuel tank can break saves.

In the previous updates, all saved ships would revert to there unresized shape/dimensions (1.25m*2m cylinder), which meant you had to rebuild everything. This issue has been definitely fixed for future updates, but still waiting on conformation from Swamp_ig about if it will still happen when updating to 0.9.0

Edited by OtherBarry

Download link isn't working, produces an error message about revoked security certificate.

It's working fine for me. It might be related to the fact that its a direct download link, but the error is on your side it seems. Have you tried downloading from here?https://github.com/Swamp-Ig/ProceduralParts/releases/tag/v0.9.0