New to KSP (but not space ;))

milosh

Hello fellow Kosmo-, Astro-, Taiko-, Kerba- and What-ever-you-call-the-Chinese-nauts,

I've discovered KSP about a week ago and have already put almost 100 hours playtime into it. This software is so highly addictive, it's insane. I used to fly alot in Orbiter, space shuttle missions to the ISS, moon or mars missions, lots of fun stuff. But after some years it became boring and there simply was no alternative, until KSP came along. Same theory as in Orbiter, not that technical but the best part: build your own rocket withouth photoshop and modelling software :D

So after a week in the KSP sandbox and severe lack of sleep I've put a huge 3-stage station in a 270km orbit around kerbal which also acts as a fuel station and made several SSTO ships that are able to dock at the station, yesterday I landed for the first time on Minmus with the latest ship I've designed. The latest 3 SSTO are also jump jets, they can start and land vertically on Kerbal or a Moon. And I've already so many new ideas, 2 more Stages to complete the stations, some spy satellites around Kerbal, never build a rover until now and then there's the rest of the system to explore. I am pretty sure I'll be busy for a looong time ;)

Here are some pics. If someone's interessted in the craft files I'm happy to share, I'm not sure yet though if they follow established standards as I do everything as I think it's right. I pay attention to TWR, fuel consumption, gravity, force and so on (as much as it's possible in KSP), but I think that some "solutions" I found are only possible in KSP because of the very basic implementation of aerodynamics.

But so far, everything I've build works together in harmony, the lifter can bring all station parts into the 270km orbit, the station itself is highly modulized, meaning you can completely reconfigure it in space. Every stack of modules attached to the main structure is docked and can be undocked, has a Mechjeb, remote control, batteries, RCS and an engine and there are still enough docking ports left for as many fuel tanks as you need to traverse the galaxy ;)

Stage 1 of the Station on the way up:

iz52tf3sdut2.jpg

Stage 1, 2 and 3 (Fueltanks) of the Stations joined together and the SSTO docked:

typi8bw9jfq.jpg

Vertical Launch of the SSTO:

2n8gfljxmh.jpg

Landed on Minmus - flight in two phases: SSTO and dock on the station, refuel, Hohmann to Minmus and vert land:

frew39yh6c93.jpg

Nicely done! I completely agree, this software is highly addictive in a great way. That's an impressive station!

Have some cool stuff I have designed on my profile blog with craft files if your looking for some fun jets to mess around with.