Delete Parts of Orbiting ship

I built a big Space Station and had to realize that my performance just suckz balls (5fps) as of to high part count

now i want to delete stuff like small batteries to decrease the part count

i tried to edit the persistants.sfs but it seems like im missing smth

as soon as i remove any part, the file seems to get corrupt and the game wont load any parts below that point where i edited the file

i dont use any mods

here is my persistent.sfs

Rightclick + Save As me or it will open in browser

eg those 16 battery packs @ line 63588

Edited by Azunai

Parts refer to each other (joints) by numerical order at which the part is present in the persistence file. If you delete a part in the middle, you need to decrement all references that are greater than the deleted part by one. And of course you need to remove any reference to a deleted part. In case you have a strut or fuel pipe stuck to that part, you need to remove that strut or pipe too (more renumbering). And if any part is child of the part you're removing, you got to remove that part as well. So yeah, it's not easy.

Probably easiest thing to do is to create a copy of your station in VAB/SPH, remove any parts you don't want, deploy it on launchpad, save - and switch the two stations by switching their orbital parameters in the file.

Edited by Kasuha

Parts refer to each other (joints) by numerical order at which the part is present in the persistence file. If you delete a part in the middle, you need to decrement all references that are greater than the deleted part by one.

Am i blind or what is the ID i need to decrement?

it wont be the UID but their MID is alsways the same?

http://pastebin.com/Ecz7HSR1

from your original persistent file have you tried just deleting lines 63586 - 64337 (inclusive) and see what happens - I'm at work so can't test it myself. If theres no parts attached to these (they aren't parent parts) then it shouldn't be a problem.

It would be a lot easier to install KAS mod, EVA out a kerbal, grab and release each battery, delete them from the debris option in mission control and then remove the KAS mod afterwards.

from your original persistent file have you tried just deleting lines 63586 - 64337 (inclusive) and see what happens - I'm at work so can't test it myself. If theres no parts attached to these (they aren't parent parts) then it shouldn't be a problem.

It would be a lot easier to install KAS mod, EVA out a kerbal, grab and release each battery, delete them from the debris option in mission control and then remove the KAS mod afterwards.

did as you said (tried it myself before) and as usual it wont load any other parts of that ship below that point

about the KAS mod, i cant seem to grab a battery :S pressing G when my kerbal is in front of one battery does nothing

edit:

well i can grap ****load of part sbut no batterys at all :S

even though the KSP.log says:[KAS] AddGrabModule(AddModule) Module successfully configured on batteryPack

edit2: just figured the debug console shows me "No supported module found!" when i try to target one of my batterys

edit3:

added the part to KAS mod :P

///////// large batteryPack ///////

GRAB

{

stockPartName = ksp.r.largeBatteryPack

evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.00, -0.15)

evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)

storable = false

stateless = false

storedSize = 10

attachOnPart = True

attachOnEva = False

attachOnStatic = False

attachSendMsgOnly = False

}

lets see if it removes the part sucessfully!

-> yes it does and frames back @27 :S

Edited by Azunai

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.