GAME BREAKING PROBLEM! Need help!

Hello forum! I am sad to report that i have a problem in ksp that is close to pushing me to stop playing. it is so bad that I just can't play the game! What happens is this: I launch a plane or rocket, and it flies ok. after a couple of seconds, it just spontaniosly explodes! When i look in the flight log (F3) it says that *random part of my rocket* hit 'panel' and was destroyed. After the crash I can see this Solar panel, but it is not considered debris and is not affected by gravity, it just stays there, floating. I happens even if my craft has no panels of any kind! HELP! I think it might be a bug with the quicksave feature, but I do run mods, but this never happened to me. What should I do!?

PIC of when I found something suspicious in the log. the problem starts with the probe core crashing into 'panel' (pic don't show it because i messed up at time of pic, + when I went to get good pic the log changed.). the rest of log seems to work out what happened in the vessel destruction.

viSqkvP.png

Edited by SaplingPick
asnwered! (more or less)

Without seeing the original craft, it looks like you have a clipping issue. Something is clipping into something else and it is bugging the system causing it to break. Can you post a few pictures of the craft in question?

It seems to happen to any craft I make that reverts to start flight or does quickload. Still I present the craft in question, and another craft that has just been having the same problem:

zfoUxLi.png

Foh9BTQ.png

the ghost panel, as i started calling it, always seems to spawn for the pod.

PS: I am impressed at how fast this forum helps people, or at least tries to!

You are not the first one complaining about this ghost panel. If you do a short search of the support forum you might find two or three such threads. I'm just not sure at the spot if a solution was found for it yet, I think some of others got rid of it just by restarting the computer or something like that.

Are you using any mods, by chance?

Yeah it is a clipping issue. I discovered this a long time ago. Two fixes can help you...

One- Turn off clipping in the cheat console.

Two- Download and run Kerbal Joint Reinforcement by Farram4. Then you wont need to clip things into each other.

Like I said at the first post, I use a couple of mods, but i don't want to part from them. I will do a quick look on the forum, too. I think it might be a bug recently discovered for 0.23, which sucks. this is another occurance of the ghost panel:

AGH!

GTGhdGb.png

The dreaded ghost panel:

D1gT471.png

Like I said at the first post, I use a couple of mods, but i don't want to part from them. I will do a quick look on the forum, too. I think it might be a bug recently discovered for 0.23, which sucks.

The problem is, if a mod is incompatible with the game, it's considered bug in the mod, not bug in the game.

But I must say it's strange as these ghost panels only started appearing quite recently while it's already two months since 0.23 came out so I think it may be that some mod got upgraded recently and brought this error.

I might be, but the strange thing is I have not put on or deleted any of my mods, let alone updated them mid version to stop random bugs related to incompatible mods. I did a quick research, but this thread is as far as anyone got to figuring out the problem. I will try getting rid of some mods I feel cause the problem. I didn't put this thread in the bugs subforum because it is not stock, so it would not be allowed.

Sometimes the panel appears suddendly inside your pod, and does'nt break anything, but keeps you from moving at all, like the post from before shows.

About the clipping thing: I will try, but on the other craft, it has no clipping enabled, it is as the game let me clip the 2 wings. Also, it seems to happen inside the pod, and on the last post It is embedded in my lander can, and there are no clipped parts in the pod. I appreciate the help, though!

Edited by SaplingPick

Yes, it does. I think it has fixed itself for now, because things are not exploding anymore, but i feel it will show up again. It has happened to all of my saves, and it is annoying and game breaking, because I had to restart KSP 5 times in 2 hours. I think we should get SQUAD to know this.

It seems it is a bug in the part clipping, but it started happening now, since I am heavy part-clipper. Oh well. It doens't happen if you don't click part clipping at all in ksp, after you press it you're basically screwed. Tnx for the help guys!

I have had instances where ghost parts show up on my craft (although not a solar panel). I once had a phantom strut follow my space station all the way to orbit, 200m off the left side.

When it did happen, it was usually after I either copied a part with Alt-F12 part clip active, or because I made a mistake and tried to ctrl-z and undo it.

The end result was extra parts which were technically attached in the game's mind, but were nowhere near the right places when looking at the craft in the VAB. Sometimes these parts were many meters away, sometimes they were on the vehicle but invisible. I have had craft this way that look like they are made of maybe 20 parts in the VAB/SPH, but when you save and look at the load screen, it showed with excess parts, sometimes as much as 100+.

I don't know if you use ctrl-z much or ever had debug part clipping on, but I found that once my craft corrupted in this manner, the VAB/SPH editor is incapable of fixing it and I simply have to start over.

So for the most part I no longer do any debug clipping. If I have to do large-scale undo, I usually just reload the craft and try again. Frequent saves have become my friend.

Edited by Claw

I believe I found out *a* reason for the random ghost panel bug, guys! It turns out I had a couple ships lying around the runway, ok? When I looked at the logs the random panel and error message appeared right after the crafts unloaded. I went to the satelite dish building, recovered all ships, and now it hasn't happended since!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.