MUN Extreme EVA Challenge Redux

After trying out DrMonte's Extreme EVA challenge about two times I noticed that I was starting to accumulate a lot of abandoned landers.

So that gave me an idea for a newer challenge.

Here are the steps:

Send a lander to the Mun with a larger recovery rocket.

EVA from the lander to orbit, and rendezvous with your main space craft; then hop in and replenish your vital EVA fluids (Mono-propellant).

EVA back to your lander, on the surface, and take it back into orbit for recovery.

Restrictions, & caveats:

No mods which help you plan or optimize your orbits, or maneuvers.

No Cheats or mods that increase thrust, ISP or contained fuel for rockets/kerbenauts.

I really don't care if you use any particular mods, or parts packs as long as they don't take away from the difficulty of the challenge.

PROOF Is here! In the form of short videos

Sorry for the lack of sound.

Edited by UrstMcRedhead

Just so you know, the Mun requires about 800 m/s dV from rest to low orbit. A kerbal EVA pack has 600 m/s. A pure extreme EVA from surface to orbit and back is not possible. Now, if you had a kerbcannon, or some other way to give a kerbal that additional 200m/s for both the initial orbit and the de-orbit, then this is VERY doable, and would create some very cool systems. I'm already theorizing about a mass relay satellite . . .

The challenge requires a main rocket in Munar orbit to tow the lander and resupply Your EVA mono propellant, but yes it's possible to do both.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear in the summary. I'll try editing that in right now.

Um, sorry, but no. Kerbal jetpacks have 600m/s. According to a delta V map, you need ~650 for orbit. Unless you launch the kerbal from a cannon, you won't be going to space today. Now, the cannon idea would actually be really cool.

I just had to do this over because Pitivi Video editor refused to compile the complete video. And that also means that I had to quickload and do the whole thing over.

Unfortunately my last quicksave was for the recovery drop; so I'm going to do this again backwards.

Heres the first video:

Um, sorry, but no. Kerbal jetpacks have 600m/s. According to a delta V map, you need ~650 for orbit. Unless you launch the kerbal from a cannon, you won't be going to space today. Now, the cannon idea would actually be really cool.

That delta-v map you are using is for a 15km orbit, down to datum level.

Least energy orbit for MUN extreme EVA by jumping off a mountain at 7000m elevation, d-v needed is about 545. (remember, you get ~9m/s free from rotation)

Even realistic start from 4000m requires only about 560m/s

EVA pack is ample for that, the bigger hazard is lack of instrumentation.

Also remember that a Kerbal can survive, with the right angles, a landing of 100m/s on Mun

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.