Single mesh. More than one material.

Well, I either have a normal problem or this is not possible. I have been working on a nice large carrier hull because I am tired of FPS drops and having to build them with hundreds of panels. Apparently the inside of the model is always missing no matter which way I flip the normals. I have just noticed that out of habit I have made the inside a separate material. I am going to try to separate the inside mesh form the outside and see if that helps.

Feels kind of crazy to have a problem like this after my animation worked flawlessly on the first attempt and everything else is generally going to plan.

I also have a question about how to get the part context menu in the VAB like on the new landing legs. That way The cargo bay doors can be opened in the VAB. I have done pretty well just reading all the info required to do pretty much anything I need to be able to do. But the documentation on this seems to be unavailable.

Oh yea, that was definitely the problem. Separated out the mesh and it works just fine now.

So you have a choice to use all of the same materials on a single mesh or to separate the mesh and use more than one material. This kinds sucks though. I generally generate procedural textures using a lot of material trickery and then bake them. I guess I can still so that I just need to be sure to leave most of that for last after the model has been processed in Unity.

Are you just looking for a way to have textures on both sides of the mesh? You can just select everything that you want two-sided, duplicate it, and switch the normals on one set. I don't know about putting multiple materials on that same mesh, but you'll at least have textures on both sides.

As for the VAB thing, you need a plugin with an [KSPEvent(guiactiveeditor = true, .....)]. That's what gives you the ability to right click on something in the VAB. I'm not sure about making it permanent (like launching with landing legs extended). I think maybe you need to set some persistent KSP field that's triggered by the VAB command, then check that when you launch.

Are you just looking for a way to have textures on both sides of the mesh? You can just select everything that you want two-sided, duplicate it, and switch the normals on one set. I don't know about putting multiple materials on that same mesh, but you'll at least have textures on both sides.

As for the VAB thing, you need a plugin with an [KSPEvent(guiactiveeditor = true, .....)]. That's what gives you the ability to right click on something in the VAB. I'm not sure about making it permanent (like launching with landing legs extended). I think maybe you need to set some persistent KSP field that's triggered by the VAB command, then check that when you launch.

No I was trying to use a separate texture sheet on the inside of the mesh. There are no problems with normals. I set the inside of the mesh to have a separate material than the outside. I just had to separate the two parts. No problems all is well.

Clearly there is a way to setup VAB toggles without a plugin. The stock parts do it. I was just asking if anyone knows how to do that. I would like to be able to open the bay doors in the VAB. You can just clip inside and place anything you want inside with no problems but I would still like the option.

Clearly there is a way to setup VAB toggles without a plugin. The stock parts do it. I was just asking if anyone knows how to do that. I would like to be able to open the bay doors in the VAB. You can just clip inside and place anything you want inside with no problems but I would still like the option.

The stock parts do it, but as far as I know it's only the ones with custom modules. I don't think anything using the ModuleAnimateGeneric can do it. So I don't think there's anything in the .cfg file for say, the landing legs, that specifies VAB editor options.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.