is it possible to combine fantasy with sci-fi?

JtPB

Very interesting question, though not specifically a science one. However, ever since I was a teenager, my favorite stories were the ones that are capable of blending high-tech and 'mysticism' into one universe. A place where science and religion are not mortal enemies, but married partners.

The best example of this has already been done though, Star Wars. Yeah, it's 99% pseudo-science (though some of the speculative science probably nobody knew for certain was wrong at the time), but it has gained enough appeal that I think you can safely say, yes it IS possible to combine fantasy with sci-fi.

Star Trek has forayed into this as well. Probably a better example of a story that at least 'tries' to not insult physics at every turn. Star Trek is very largely, from what I've seen anyway, written from an atheistic perspective. But even then, you had the Vulcans (who, mind you were the most LOGICAL-thinking beings in the known universe of sentient creatures) pulling off soul-transfers and spiritual resurrections.

On the more campy side of things. Flash Gordon? Mostly sci-fi, at least for the era it came from. But Ming still had some pretty magic powers. How about Krull? Or Dune?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.