A Mechanic Is Jeb, or "KAS For Almost Everything"

GavinZac

Is there any interest in having a maintained version of this file?

Turns out I had essentially done most of the work in this file until I found it. There doesn't seem to be a github repo to send push requests to, so I'm considering starting up my own.

YES!! If that was ambiguous, I'm in favor of the idea ;)

If I wanted to add parts to the config myself, is it as easy as copying and pasting one of the little blocks and changing the part name to the part I want to add? If that made any sense at all?

Actually, for example can I just copy this

@PART[strutsoportec1]{    
@attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.0, -0.15)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
storable = True
storedSize = 4
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False
}
}

And changing it to this?

@PART[dmSolarCollector]{    
@attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
storable = True
storedSize = 4
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False
}
}

Thank you in advance.

If I wanted to add parts to the config myself, is it as easy as copying and pasting one of the little blocks and changing the part name to the part I want to add? If that made any sense at all?

Actually, for example can I just copy this

@PART[strutsoportec1]{    
@attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
storable = True
storedSize = 4
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False
}
}

And changing it to this?

@PART[dmSolarCollector]{    
@attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
storable = True
storedSize = 4
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False
}
}

Thank you in advance.

I personally would be careful and only do that with parts of equivalent size and shape. Parts of that decide where and how the part attaches to things, and another section decides where on your Kerbal it will be when carrying. If the part you are tying to add is much larger or smaller, the nodes will be off and it will look odd when on your back/attaching/attached.

I personally would be careful and only do that with parts of equivalent size and shape. Parts of that decide where and how the part attaches to things, and another section decides where on your Kerbal it will be when carrying. If the part you are tying to add is much larger or smaller, the nodes will be off and it will look odd when on your back/attaching/attached.

Looking through the A_Mechanic_Is-Jeb.cfg file, the parameters are exactly the same for everything in there. I've tested most, if not all the parts I have that are modified and it looks just fine. I think I'm going to go ahead and do it. I'll back things up first though. Thank you for the advice.

Looking through the A_Mechanic_Is-Jeb.cfg file, the parameters are exactly the same for everything in there. I've tested most, if not all the parts I have that are modified and it looks just fine. I think I'm going to go ahead and do it. I'll back things up first though. Thank you for the advice.

Just FYI, the attachrules isn't there for every part in this config, and going off of memory, the values present for pos and dir are different on some.

I would suggest still testing it with that and seeing if anything is amiss.

Edited by WololoW

Since this is generated by script, any chance of releasing that script so we could play with the parameters? maybe add some logic to programatically guess stored sizes, update it for new versions of supported mod (i.e. KSPi experimental converts most parts to tweakscale, and the new B9 did all kinds of rejiggering) or generate our own configs for unsupported mods (looking at you: SCANsat).

it seems like the interesting thing here is the mechanism to build the config, not necessarily the config itself.

• 2 weeks later...

GavinZac,

ModuleManager 2.3.5 is throwing an error:

[LOG 12:39:11.872] [ModuleManager] ModuleManager: 5905 patches applied, 195 hidden items, found 1 error

1 error in GameData/KAS/KAS_A_Mechanic_Is_Jeb.cfg

Assuming masTerTorch's KDEX - Kerbal Dust Experiment v1.02 is what you are referencing line 3541 should read:

@PART[KerbalDustExperiment] {

Since this is generated by script, any chance of releasing that script so we could play with the parameters? maybe add some logic to programatically guess stored sizes, update it for new versions of supported mod (i.e. KSPi experimental converts most parts to tweakscale, and the new B9 did all kinds of rejiggering) or generate our own configs for unsupported mods (looking at you: SCANsat).

it seems like the interesting thing here is the mechanism to build the config, not necessarily the config itself.

I'm not sure the author's still around, but this would be really great to have nonetheless.

GavinZac,

ModuleManager 2.3.5 is throwing an error:

[LOG 12:39:11.872] [ModuleManager] ModuleManager: 5905 patches applied, 195 hidden items, found 1 error

1 error in GameData/KAS/KAS_A_Mechanic_Is_Jeb.cfg

Assuming masTerTorch's KDEX - Kerbal Dust Experiment v1.02 is what you are referencing line 3541 should read:

@PART[KerbalDustExperiment] {

The part name changed after the last release of MiJ.

And is seriously no one going to take this up? If not, I might, but not sure I have the free time :(

I was just thinking to myself, this would be even cooler if it were a utility. Run the utility and select the parts you want to include in generation from a GUI. If you wanted to go crazy, store persistent settings which can override the values for specific parts. Of course... "going crazy" in this context = lots of work.

• 4 weeks later...
Is there any interest in having a maintained version of this file?

Turns out I had essentially done most of the work in this file until I found it. There doesn't seem to be a github repo to send push requests to, so I'm considering starting up my own.

Did anyone ever put this on git? I'm happy to help contribute again. If not I'll put it up myself in a few days. There are some new, fun little parts for Jeb to break off and toss into space!

I stopped playing to wait for 0.25 and it turns out I severely underestimated the time that that would take...

I was just thinking to myself, this would be even cooler if it were a utility. Run the utility and select the parts you want to include in generation from a GUI. If you wanted to go crazy, store persistent settings which can override the values for specific parts. Of course... "going crazy" in this context = lots of work.

Sorry, it was nowhere near so complex. It was a PHP script that parsed a plaintext list of part names and just stuck the right formatting around them. Of course, you could maintain a database that generated the file using stored values, but it does seem a bit excessive. Hmm.

Edited by GavinZac

• 2 months later...

You could make a very simple program which displays all cfg files in /GameData/ and then you can distinguish between config cfg's and part cfg's. Then select your parts. A script then reads the word preceding the words: name = (which contains the part name) and appends it in a cfg file with some standard size values.. You could maybe add an option to choose between small, medium or big part. Unfortunately i don't have the time to make it :(

Perhaps once I reach a point in my career where this is relevant I'll give it a try and report, but for now I'd like to very the stability of my install with all the recent updates. I'm running 60 mods or so, mostly pluggins. Lot's of compatibility bugginess, but not too much graphical lag.

Perhaps once I reach a point in my career where this is relevant I'll give it a try and report, but for now I'd like to very the stability of my install with all the recent updates. I'm running 60 mods or so, mostly pluggins. Lot's of compatibility bugginess, but not too much graphical lag.

All this is is basicly a large ModuleManager config. Barring major changes to how Module Manger or KAS works, there shouldnt be a reason this should cause you any trouble.

Im using it at the moment as well, and have updated it myself with a few more recent parts

I've actually got something like this going already:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/99235-0-90-MonkeyWrench-0-1-5-For-when-subtlety-and-finesse-just-won-t-do

I welcome contributions to the github repo. The main difference between this and A Mechanic Is Jeb is that I'm attempting to use more than just generic mass numbers across the board, and hand-tweaking things.

Repository is here

• 3 weeks later...
I tried, and it did not work...

It says the doc is a .txt thing so maybe that is why.

Did you save it that way ? It should be a cfg file.

EDIT- You can edit or open them with like notepad if that is what you asking.

And the file should look like ( A_Mechanic_Is_Jeb.cfg )

EDIT- Or what your trying to pickup is not on the list.

Edited by Mecripp2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.