PROMETHEUS 1: To go farther than any kerbal has gone before.

Macho Man Matt

PROMETHEUS 1 was my idea of getting to Eeloo and back. This involved a ship that will be "built" in space (by docking) and will be capable of flying to Eeloo and back home to kerbin. It was a success.

THE MISSION:

1st step was to get the main fuel tank in orbit.

yu9BSaq.jpg

qcrYdqE.jpg

CsGEsgj.jpg

nXnqzAv.jpg

5N8RIYq.jpg

2nd step was to get the engines (4x Nuclear Motors) in obit and dock to the main fuel tank

BbhSXWk.jpg

k8AUtV5.jpg

psks56Y.jpg

3rd step was to complete the ship by launching the Eeloo lander and docking it with the main ship.

T8vw7Xx.jpg

7prB5Yl.jpg

Ki628Th.jpg

Now that the ship is complete, it's time to begin the BURNS! :cool:

vZIxQLw.jpg

gDNNh15.jpg

After about 2 years worth of time skipping, we reached our traget

RSxKZFm.jpg

kdsnRph.jpg

7CsEwEV.jpg

After Orbital Maneuvers, comes the fun part... LANDING! :D

B9NVATo.jpg

7KhUDK0.jpg

d5WE2E1.jpg

OkHwjER.jpg

t82wUYG.jpg

After landing on this snow-ball of a planet, Jeb goes out to plant the flag, do science, and fool around.

34c3lKH.jpg

(Some screen-shots of the landing, inside and out)

7PJ0EAv.jpg

8bCp8Z0.jpg

After everything has been done, it's time to get back into orbit and re-dock with the mother ship.

KqTclTE.jpg

(I forgot to take pics, sorry guys, lol)

oa6q1FT.jpg

Now it's time to get back home....

DTgsONX.jpg

KpyMxYs.jpg

gCeYvLE.jpg

S6uKzZt.jpg

Both the capsule and the main fuel tank came down at speeds of 7000 m/s!

KbbqJ0W.jpg

gPiigYk.jpg

82B9ERh.jpg

0MTZ7RU.jpg

C43zGVQ.jpg

And that's that! Prometheus 1 was a great success! :cool::D:)

The only mods I used were NovaPunch (RCS tanks and launch vehicle for the main tank) and Warp plugin (Heat Radiators)

Let me know what you think. :D

Not bad, I'm surprised you had as much dV as you did. How close were you running on fuel?

I almost ran out of fuel, I had just enough for my orbit to go into the Kerbin atmosphere and use the magic of friction and Aerobreaking to kill my velocity.

But...why did you deorbited perfectly good interplanetary stage? Bit of a waste in my opinion. Otherwise nice mission :)

Well hey, another Polish person! (Cześć!) My interplanetary stage was kinda doomed, it had no fuel left to kill enough of it's velocity and orbit Kerbin.

Very nice! My IPV (interplanetary vessel) was built along a very similar plan in the broad strokes (including the orbital assembly), but differs greatly into the details. In particular, I had a forehead-smacking moment when I see how you launched your four-NERVA engine stage... upside down, while I resorted to all sorts of complicated measures to get mine up "straight" (despite KSP really not wanting to do multiple attachment points).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.