thrust vectoring ahead of center of mass - does it work?

I'm working on an interplanetary tanker in a pull configuration. Basically what I have at this point, assembled in orbit, is a ring of LV-Ns sitting on top of three orange tanks. Problem is, when I fire the engines, the whole thing starts to rock side to side. It's not wobbly, it's just... veering off to one side, then overcorrecting, then veering off the other way.

I *think* I remember seeing something about thrust vectoring working backwards if the engines are placed ahead of the center of mass. Is that still the case? Am I remembering correctly? And, if so, is there a workaround, or do I just need to lock gimbal?

Edited by ripvanlemon

You're remembering correctly, engine gimbals assume the engine is behind the center of mass. If you're placing engines ahead of it, you should lock the gimbals via the right click menu or the craft will be difficult to control.

Hopefully this will be addressed in some future update, as large orbital craft seem to be more stable in a pull configuration vs a push configuration.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.