Okay, Squad. Put a "1" down on your kill sheet!

Whackjob

I actually have an i7 2670qm laptop lying around with 6 gb of ram. The only component missing is the hard drive and the license key on the back must not be used.

(Shipping it may be impossible though. the gpu is a 6770m.)

I actually have an i7 2670qm laptop lying around with 6 gb of ram. The only component missing is the hard drive and the license key on the back must not be used.

(Shipping it may be impossible though. the gpu is a 6770m.)

Hah! And the laptop I fried has two perfectly fine hard drives in it. SSDs for that matter. Budget already spent though... should've asked around before I bought that kit :)

Have fun with your computer. My specs for my recent rig are a fx 6300, gtx 760, 8gb 1600 mhz cl9 dual channel kingston ram, 500 watt corsair psu, gigabyte 970a ds3p motherboard unit, rosewill challenger case, two salvaged hard drive with a few years of use, and a salvaged dvd drive from my old dell.

I was surprised that the first computer I built worked perfectly on boot. I actauly never put on my anti static wrist strap.

My old laptop i7 cpu is actually more powerful than my new cpu. I still prefer to have all of the new features on call.

I also got a tx3 cooler master cpu heatsink. Cooler master has some really silent cpu coolers

Edited by andrew123

Is there no way we could crowdfund a new Machine for Whackjob?

If everybody would give a Dollar, Whack can build himself a server-farm.

Color me crazy, but that would make me feel kind of weird. I've never been the sort to expect or get something for nothing. I'd have to do something to earn it.

Hah! And the laptop I fried has two perfectly fine hard drives in it. SSDs for that matter. Budget already spent though... should've asked around before I bought that kit :)
There's a fair chance the laptop drives are still OK, and you should be able to get brackets and adapters to fit them in a desktop if you like. Or, if you just want the data off them, get an external drive housing.

Color me crazy, but that would make me feel kind of weird. I've never been the sort to expect or get something for nothing. I'd have to do something to earn it.

I think the amount of inspiration you generated among the KSP community is probably more than adequate for some people to feel the desire to pitch in to get you back up and running....

Okay... consider this.

We crowdfund you a new Computer.... You softland an Asteroid for us on Kerbin/Tylo.

Deal? ;)

Okay... consider this.

We crowdfund you a new Computer.... You softland an Asteroid for us on Kerbin/Tylo.

Deal? ;)

I was planning on doing that anyway. How about I shave KSP in my chest hair and post the picture?

I'd pay you a dollar not to post that picture WJ haha :D

Hopefully you'll be back up and running soon! That combo is a decent deal, but you probably won't be able to OC that CPU very much with that motherboard. Depending on how well that cooler works you might be able to squeeze a little extra out of the CPU though.

Good luck!

I hope you are not just tossing that Alienware into the garbage btw. Someone can cannibalize those selling spare parts on ebay and recover quite a bit of money, if you wish to carefully disassemble it.

The least, screen, ram, battery and disks should be able to be sellable sold. Possibly the GPU as well if it is removable, possibly the wi-fi card too. (and hope that whatever it is you toasted, it stopped toasting at the PSU or mootherboard) Even the plastic panels, if they are in a nice condition, because someone, someplace has possibly ruined his and is seeking a replacement.

Overall, and seeing that some m17 screens seem to go for £70 on ebay right now, I wouldn't be surprised if up to £200 can be recovered from it.

Here's an example of someone selling such a spare part ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Alienware-M11x-Left-Right-Screen-Hinge-Hinges-Bracket-0NDT4N-NDT4N-V-/390789143001?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item5afcd919d9 ) even if individuals don't buy these, that's the way repair shops often do.

Edited by Vaebn

Ok, can post again quick. At office of course, and can only post during my breaks.

If you guys are serious about this Whackjob-computer-fund-thing, I will go along with it, but only on the provision that you guys demand something from me in turn. I've never taken anything for free in my life, and I don't intend to do so now. So come up with something I can do in return for it. Preferably not including permanent body modification, or anything that'll get me arrested. I've got a mostly clean file, and would prefer to keep it that way. If it's within my ability to do, I'll do it.

Will necessarily stop posting at end of office tonight, but will be back in office Wednesday.

#EDIT: And don't make it something simple or silly. Make me WORK for it!

Ok, can post again quick. At office of course, and can only post during my breaks.

If you guys are serious about this Whackjob-computer-fund-thing, I will go along with it, but only on the provision that you guys demand something from me in turn. I've never taken anything for free in my life, and I don't intend to do so now. So come up with something I can do in return for it. Preferably not including permanent body modification, or anything that'll get me arrested. I've got a mostly clean file, and would prefer to keep it that way. If it's within my ability to do, I'll do it.

Will necessarily stop posting at end of office tonight, but will be back in office Wednesday.

#EDIT: And don't make it something simple or silly. Make me WORK for it!

You'll need a shovel, a tarp and a bag of lime. If you're careful you won't get arrested. And if you do...well, you really won't have to worry about your computer now will you? :cool:

What about making a youtube series for whackjovian creations! Perfection!

I also recorded the second and third episodes of cosmos with my rig. Post if anyone want to see them from now.

Well, I was meaning something I'd have to do in real life. Can't exactly pay for a computer or computer parts in a way that requires a computer. :)

Sing my Kerbal Poetry, which you can find here. Surreptitiously upload the video via your work computer or ask a friend for help.

-Duxwing