Okay, Squad. Put a "1" down on your kill sheet!

Whackjob

Holy crap, am I ever flattered. Down and out for two days, and this is still going on?!

Okay. I've got a paypal thing sent up. Address is [email protected]. If anyone does decide to send something, I only ask that you don't go crazy, and absolutely ask that you ask something of me in return. If it's within my power, I will do what you ask.

I still don't know what to make of all of this. I'm flattered, but not so sure I'm so deserving of all this attention! :D

#EDIT: I've already purchased a case, processor, mobo, and power supply on my own dime. The only things I'm lacking for the moment are memory, graphics card, thermal paste (not included with procs anymore?!), and adapter mount for putting laptop SSD drives in a desktop. So don't go nuts, people!

Edited by Whackjob

Holy crap, am I ever flattered. Down and out for two days, and this is still going on?!

Okay. I've got a paypal thing sent up. Address is [email protected]. If anyone does decide to send something, I only ask that you don't go crazy, and absolutely ask that you ask something of me in return. If it's within my power, I will do what you ask.

I still don't know what to make of all of this. I'm flattered, but not so sure I'm so deserving of all this attention! :D

#EDIT: I've already purchased a case, processor, mobo, and power supply on my own dime. The only things I'm lacking for the moment are memory, graphics card, thermal paste (not included with procs anymore?!), and adapter mount for putting laptop SSD drives in a desktop. So don't go nuts, people!

Dude, you can't earn a gift. What's the point of a community if we can't help each other out without expecting anything in return.

That said, we can't stop you from completing your magnum opus in celebration of your new machine.

As for me, I've got a pathological need to feel helpful, so expect some moolah from me shortly.

As for me, I've got a pathological need to feel helpful, so expect some moolah from me shortly.

If you don't ask for something specific, you're getting the KSP shaved into the chest hair. :cool:

If you don't ask for something specific, you're getting the KSP shaved into the chest hair. :cool:

:P if you're going that route, sould get a tattoo. That'd be something I'd help fund also.

Perhaps my point didn't come across: I will give to you because I want to help (as with the people on this thread, I suspect), not because I ever thought you could/would pay me back.

Along that same vein, though, it sounds like you want to show your appreciation, and so I won't try and discourage you.

Any bit I can do to help is worth it to help someone who is quintessentially Kerbal.

I would have given the laptop if you needed it without the slv. Please do enjoy your life for ksp is not a first priority.

The forum being rather empty during the school year attests to this. We would be glad to help you for the community spirit and the ethical philosophy.

:P if you're going that route, sould get a tattoo.

I've got one. Come to think of it, I don't think I'd mind a KSP tattoo. I've got a severe geekery related tattoo deficit. If I could find something, like a rocket crashing and Jebediah being ejected... heh. I think I'd like it.

#EDIT: Ok, doing the lunch break thing at office. Here's what I've grabbed so far with my own bit of scratch:

Mobo: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1963429

Proc: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7896407

Fan: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7301677

Case: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1636710

As you can see, I'm keeping it all rather low budget. TigerDirect actually got it shipped to the WhackHaus two days ahead of projection. Love them guys.

Edited by Whackjob

Whackjob, you're a pillar of our kommunity. A heavily strutted, highly overbuilt, potentially explosive pillar, but that's how we like it!

Your builds are legendary, and even now Kerbalnauts talk in hushed tones about what you can do.

We'll always have a place for you here.

We await your return with anticipation and awe.

I have a second generation 6300 amd cpu. I can attest that the processor will definitely be powerful.

I was looking at that sweet, sweet clock rate. I believe I can BIOS tease the core multiplier and get a few clocks extra outta there. 2.53Ghz to this ought to be a heck of a step up, Kerbish-wise. Moar bigger things! Boost everything at once!

One of my hard drives just spun itself to death in my new build. Not surprising since it is about a decade old and from a dell.

Time to get a 120 gb ssd for it. Any suggestions.

Warning to Whackjob himself: Whackjob... are you sure that the mobo can handle that overclock... I use a gigabyte ds3p and a cooler master tx3 and haven't managed to get a decent overclock on my processor without extreme instability. Overclocking to over 6 ghz will doom your rig to an early death.

Edited by andrew123

Warning to Whackjob himself: Whackjob... are you sure that the mobo can handle that overclock... I use a gigabyte ds3p and a cooler master tx3 and haven't managed to get a decent overclock on my processor without extreme instability. Overclocking to over 6 ghz will doom your rig to an early death.

It's a 3.3Ghz processor. I was thinking of maybe to 3.6Ghz. 6Ghz is about twelve further stops along the crazy train, man. I don't go that far without a four color printed novelty map and a quart of two of night train.

I like to see how the community moves to help a fellow member. I've always been amazed at this community.

Whack, here are some things you could do if you want to pay in some way the help the community is offering you:

1. Start a youtube channel, the Whacktube :P

2. Get a tatoo of the Arkingthaad

Seriously, I'd really enjoy watching a Whack You Tube series. I'm sure everyone can learn a lot from such a thing.

I actually have a number of videos up under an old account of mine. Look up user "CrazyPilotEarl".

Mind if I mail you a manual for creating a liquid nitrogen cooling...

Strangely I've not yet had an overheat warning on my laptop (MacBook Pro). Of course this could be due to me balancing the bottom of the laptop on a gallon-sized Ziploc back of water. Heat sinks are easy on laptops :)

I'll help as well.

I doubt if the WCRE (Whackjob Computer Relief Effort) will come in time for the ARM update (considering part delivery, PC construction and software installation time).

Maybe that will just give other people a fair chance to beat you landing an asteroid at KSC.

Hey, here's an idea:

Someone with an artistic streak should make a banner for our sigs that says something to the effect of "I donated to the whackfund" or something.

Whackjob, your blessing on that idea would be ample payment, if you're dead set on giving back.

I'd work on it, but the best I could do is stick figures