The song of the mystery goo?

a-rod48

So I started a new campaign, and to get some quick science it put my ship in the water. After I observed my goo containers, I just was bored and starting rotating in the water. For some reason, every time the goo hit the water, a note would play. It sounded like a metal xylophone, and the rotation speed seemed to have something to do with the pitch.

Someone tell me I am not going crazy here. Build yourself a little ship to get you to the shore with some goo containers, and start spinning. Maybe it is just my sound glitching up, I don't know. But it seems like too nice of a sound to be a glitch.

I've had similar experiences with boats. I found rotating the camera around that it only happens from certain angles in global space, leading me to think it's an artifact of the sound engine trying to overlay too many splashes on one another, causing destructive interference on all but a few frequencies.

If you use the Firespitter mod's pontoons, you have to brace them up with a fair number of struts. When moving through the water at certain speeds, these struts making a sort of plinking sound. It reminds me a lot of running your fingernail down the teeth of a plastic hair comb.

It happens with several kinds of parts, including radially mounted. As an example, if you make a rover and put solar panels and air intakes on the sides where they will get "wet", and drive it out into the water, you should hear those sounds. Make sure to put fuel and engines (jet will use the intakes) on because its more mobile when trying to move in the water. Don't be surprised if they break off if you enter the water too quickly or when using the engines while in the water.

Edited by Dispatcher
spelling error.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.