The Story Of The Klavic Space Program

Astraph

Hello guys! :)

I've recently blown the dust of my Steam and rediscovered the magical world of Kerbal Space Program! :) Immediately, I started thinking about making kind of an AAR... But I realised I have no concrete project to think of. Instead... Well, I decided to just launch a career mode and go with the flow. Wonder where will this take me ^^' Here's a couple of home rules I've made:

-> No mission revert. If the craft explodes on launch - tough luck. If I miscalculate delta v - again, poor chap.

-> No mechanics abuse (intake stacking, clipping)

-> Mods used: KAS, B9, KW Rocketry, Kerbal Engineer, Alarm Clock, Kethane

I'll also keep track of the project's milestones, as well as records being set as the program progresses.

So, enjoy the read! :)

Table of contents:

1) The Monitor Program

1.1) Monitor I

1.2) Monitor II

1.3) Monitor III

2) The Oko Program

3) Project Munshot

3.1) Munarne Orbitalne Laboratorium

3.2) Preparation Of Interplanetary Surface Kontraptions

3.3) Munshot I

3.4) Oko-II

4) POISK-II

5) Badacz

6) Latawiec

Achievements:

-> First Kerbal in space: Jebediah Kerman (Monitor I)

-> First Kerbal on the Mun: Jebediah Kerman (Munshot I)

-> First Kerbal on Minimus: Bill Keman (Badacz)

-> First orbital flight: Jebediah Kerman (Monitor III)

-> First Mun soft landing: POISK

-> First Munar flyby: Mun I

-> First Minimus soft landing: POISK-II

-> First Minimus flyby: Minimus I

-> First Eve soft landing: Latawiec

-> First heliocentric orbit achieved: Minimus I

Records set:

-> Longest flight: POISK-II (17d 11h 43m)

-> Most economical launch (cost to mass): Monitor III (6,557 / t)

-> Most economical launch (cost to science): POISK-II (141 / science)

-> Most flights: Jebediah Kerman (5; Monitor I-III, MOL, Munshot I)

-> Most Kerbals in space at the same time: Monitor I (1)

-> Most science collected: Badacz (Minimus; 369)

Edited by Astraph

The development of rocketry sciences in the past few decades has finally allowed fulfillment of kerbinity's great dream; reaching outside its home planet, into the cold vastness of space. Not suprisingly, it were the Klavs, as the most advanced nation on the planet, who took the lead.

The first step was to test all the crucial technologies required to safetly attain orbit and return. In order to do so, a series of experimental flights was planned, using ad-hoc designed and modified test vehicles.

Monitor I

-> Objectives:

- Achieve sub-orbital flight âœâ€

- Conduct basic in-flight experiments âœâ€

- Return to Kerbin âœâ€

-> Craft used: Monitor Experimental Launcher

- Crew: 1

- Cost: 7,497

- Total mass: 12,240 kg

- Ship mass: 1,200 kg

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The success of Monitor I prompted a next, more ambitious mission; to attain stable Kerbal orbit and conduct basic experiments in zero-g environment. The MEL has been refitted with three solid rocket boosters to increase its delta-V capabilities.

However, although the craft attained a semi-stable LKO (with perikerb high enough to sustain at least one full circle between atmospheric drag forcing the capsule back to the surface), the KSC ordered Jebediah to brake down and re-enter before the first full circle was complete. Nevertheless, all planned experiments have been carried out.

Monitor II

-> Objectives:

- Attain stable LKO ✖

- Conduct orbital experiments âœâ€

-> Craft used: Monitor Experimental Launcher II

- Cost: 9,797

- Total mass: 16,278 kg

- Ship mass: 1,200 kg

Edited by Astraph

Folllowing the partial (at best) success of Monitor II, the KSP had enlisted the help of Kepanik Kerman, pioneer of rocket design. His remodeled carrier was dubbed MEL III, despite being only loosely based on the previous incarnations of the series. Apart from being turned into a fully-fledged three stage rocket, MEL III was powered exclusively by liquid motors.

The additional power has proven enough to put the capsule into orbit - allowing Jebediah Kerman to take first detailed pictures of Kerbin's equatoral area. After one full orbital circle, the craft was turned round and the re-entry phase began. After half an hour in space, the capsule touched down on the Kerbastan Desert.

With this success, the Monitor program has been concluded. First steps have been made - the time has come for more ambitious goals...

Monitor III

-> Objectives:

- Attain stable LKO âœâ€

- Conduct orbital experiments âœâ€

- Compose an orbital map of Kerbin equatoral regions âœâ€

-> Craft used: Monitor Experimental Launcher III

- Cost: 18,787

- Total mass: 32,145 kg

- Ship mass: 2,865 kg

- Economy: 6,557 / t & 341 / science

Edited by Astraph

A natural second step in space exploration was a mission to Kerbin's two satellites - Mun and Minimus. However, kerbed flight has been considered too dangerous for the current phase of development, as the light, portable life support systems have not been perfected yet. Instead, the KSP has decided to revert to unkerbed missions.

The Oko probe was designed to be a small, compact device. Lacking solar panels or any other external sources of power, it relied on a fixed energy supply to approach its target, collect all the data avalible and transmit it back to Kerbin.

Using the KE-001 launcher (effectively a perfected, mass-produced version of MEL III), two Oko probes have been put into LKO with no issues. Mun I's approach to Kerbin's larger satellite and data transmission, including first photographs of munar surface, were completed with no issues, after which the probe was put into hibernation and carried on to an eccentric graveyard orbit around Kerbin.

Minimus I however suffered a minor failrue due to orbit miscalculation; instead of passing within 50-100 kilometres like Mun I, it passed Minimus within over 3,000 km, resulting in only partial data being collected. The probe lacked fuel to correct this, however, so the KSC had to stick to the original plan and followed its accelerated flight path into the a heliocentric orbit.

Project Oko

Objectives:

-> Mun I:

- Complete Munar flyby âœâ€

- Collect data from both high and low Munar orbits âœâ€

- Transmit results back to Kerbin âœâ€

-> Minimus I:

- Complete Minimus flyby âœâ€

- Collect data from both high and low Minimus orbits ✖

- Transmit results back to Kerbin âœâ€

-> Craft used: KE-001 + Oko probe

- Crew: 0

- Cost: 19,685

- Total mass: 20,185 kg

- Ship mass: 2,190 kg

- Science collected: 22,14

- Economy: 8,989 / t & 889 / science

Edited by Astraph

Munarne Orbitalne Laboratorium (MOL)

First images sent from the Mun caused a great deal of enthusiasm in KSC; not only it was proven that reaching the Mun is actually possible, it also appeared radiation levels were not lethal for living beings.

In order to evaluate potential landing sites, as well as collect as much data as possible, a kerbed flyby mission was designed. A modular spaceship consisted of three main elements; proper vessel and two symmetrical laboratory modules. These labs were fitted with a simple return system, allowing to retrieve them from LKO without bringing the whole ship down.

Carried into orbit by KE-001B rocket, the ship successfully tested the CRS by delivering both laboratory capsules back to Kerbin, then proceeded with a Munar flyby. Using a free return trajectory, the laboratory got 292 km from the Mun at apoapsis, then began its unpowered return. Using an extensive power supply, Jebediah constantly beamed all crew reports, including a brief EVA during closest Mun approach.

Objectives:

- Complete kerbed Munar flyby âœâ€

- Conduct experiments of HKO âœâ€

- Conduct experiments on HMO âœâ€

- Conduct experiments on LMO ✖

- Test Capsule Retrieval System (CRS) âœâ€

-> Craft used: KE-001B + MOL

- Cost: 44,572

- Total mass: 83,413 kg

- Ship mass: 4,910 kg

- Science collected: 179,4

- Economy: 9,078 / t & 248 / science

Edited by Astraph

Preparation Of Interplanetary Surface Kontraptions (POISK)

The second step in preparation for a kerbed landing was a robotic landing, aimed to investigate surface conditions. Additionally, the probe was to return, carrying the first samples of Munar rocks and dust for scientists on Kerbin to investigate.

Kepanik designed a completely new, three-stage launcher for this mission, dubbed KE-002. It was used to deliver an automated lander into LKO, which was then planned to reach the Mun, land softly on the surface, collect all the data desired, and finally blast off back towards Kerbin. Equipped with freshly perfected solar panels, it was designed to function for an indefinite amount of time, unlike the OKO probes before it.

The approach and descent proceeded without issue. However, due to landing site being chosen hastly and without sufficient observation conducted, the proble found itself on a slope too steep to maintain balance and simply toppled over. Luckily, the shock was insufficient to damage scientific instruements, and the mission has been at least partly salvaged - the data has been beamed to KSC, and stable contact with the probe has been maintained.

Objectives:

- Perform soft landing on Mun âœâ€

- Collect surface samples ✖

- Return them back to Kerbin ✖

-> Craft used: KE-002 + POISK

- Crew: 0

- Cost: 38,405

- Total mass: 59,458 kg

- Ship mass: 6,050 kg

- Science collected: 12,8

- Economy: 6,348 / t & 3,000 / science

Edited by Astraph

• 4 weeks later...

Mushot I

Objectives:

- Perform soft manned landing on the Mun âœâ€

- Perform EVA on Munar surface ✖

- Collect surface samples ✖

- Return to Kerbin with all the data for processing ✖

Craft used:

KE-003 + Munshot I

Crew: 1

Cost: 45,962

Total mass: 86,190 kg

Ship mass: 5,035 kg

Science collected: 77

Economy: 9,128 / t & 597 / science

Despite POISK's failrue, KSP has given order for the Munshot program to proceed to the final phase.

A skyscrapper-like KE-003 was designed, utilising new generation Maverick and Vesta thrusters. Correcting some critical flaws of its predecessor, it was ready to put the first kerbed interplannetary craft into orbit.

The mission plan was simple; to land in the middle of Mun's crater, collect surface samples and perform temperature checks, then return to Kerbin. Extra caution was given to selecting landing spot; following the failrue of POISK, KSP wanted to make sure their precious equipment would touch the Mun without any issue.

However, a critical design flaw became evident just before touchdown; just before landing, the gear deployment mechanism jammed. Athough the Munshot lander was perfectly capable of aborting the landing procedure and head straight back into orbit, Jebediah decided to risk landing on the surface directly, as it was tested in one of the simulations.

Despite making the touchdown delicate as possible, the tall lander lost stability soon after reaching surface. An emergency engine reactivation failed to blast the ship off the surface - and as a result Jebediah became the first Kerbal on the Mun...

Luckily, the crucial life support and communication mechanisms remained operational - so Jebediah was at least able to wait for a rescue mission to be set up...

Edited by Astraph

Oko-II

Objective:

- Establish stable radio contact with Munshot lander âœâ€

Craft used:

KE-003 + Oko II

Crew: 0

Cost: 32,210 per launch

Total mass: 60,778 kg per launch

Craft mass: 1,172 kg per launch

Science collected: 11,6 (total)

Economy: 27,482 / t & 5,553 / science

With Jebediah stranded on the Mun and no reasonable recovery plan avalible (Munshot rolled over to the front side, blocking the entry hatch and making it impossible for Jebediah to evacuate on his own), the Klavic Space Program was put in a very peculiar position. Even though the stranded kerbonaut had plenty of snacks to sustain himself on the Mun, the popular demand was that he was to return to Kerbin ASAP. Or else...

Since Munshot crashed on the far side of the Mun, a communication system had to be established to ensure effective communication between Kerbin and Jebediah, as well as coordinate the recovery mission. Two backup probes from the Oko project have been recovered from storage and refitted with upgraded communication systems.

Using KE-003, two launches into orbit have been made, with probes assuming stationary (Kerbin) and semistationary (Mun) orbits to ensure as stable line of communication between the unfortunate lander and KSC. Also, this allowed to help Jebediah cope with loneliness - by beaming a constant stream of crosswords to keep him occupied.

Both probes also carried thermometres to conduct minor measurements in space - which only confirmed a pretty obvious fact that space is a cold place.

Edited by Astraph

And so does in Polish ;) My idea was to keep the naming convention roughly associated with Slavic languages - poisk means "search" in Russia, MOL is an abbreviation based on a Polish name and so on.

And so does in Polish ;) My idea was to keep the naming convention roughly associated with Slavic languages - poisk means "search" in Russia, MOL is an abbreviation based on a Polish name and so on.

I know a bit of all Slavic languages. Definetly awesome to be just like "Yeah its my language!"

POISK II

Objectives:

- Perform soft Mun landing âœâ€

- Collect surface samples âœâ€

- Return samples to Kerbin âœâ€

- Perform soft Minimus landing âœâ€

- Collect surface samples âœâ€

- Return samples to Kerbin âœâ€

Craft used:

2*KE-003 + POISK II landers

Cost (per launch): 43,165

Total mass: 77,794 kg

Craft mass: 3,363 kg

Science collected: 326 (Minimus) & 287 (Mun)

Economy: 12,835 / t & 141 / science

The unsuccessful POISK and Munshot missions forced Klavic engineers to refine their approach towards spaceship design. The main reason of both missions' failrue- lack of stability during approach and landing - was solved by putting additional reaction wheels and SAS mechanisms in the hull. The probes themselves also received an overhaul, but retained their original shape and functionality.

KE-003 was used to put both probes into transfer orbits to Mun and Minimus. The Mun part of the mission went smoothly and with no issues - the probe landed on the surface, took samples, blasted off and splashed down near KSC, bringing invaluable science back.

The Minimus part of the mission however almost ended in tragedy, as, due to alignment, miscalculation, the probe's battery ran dry shortly before Kerbin reentry. Luckily, the drag managed to force the vessel into uncontrolled spin, turning the panels back towards the sun, allowing the parachutes to deploy. Ultimately, the second probe splashed down safely as well.

POISK II's success was what saved the Klavic Space Program from a drastic funding cut -kerbed mission concepts were brought back to the table, with a mission to Minimus given top priority.

Edited by Astraph

Badacz

Objectives:

- Perform soft Minimus landing âœâ€

- Collect surface samples during an EVA âœâ€

- Collect temperature data from Minimus surface âœâ€

- Collect Goo observation data from Minimus surface âœâ€

- Collect Materials observation data from Minimus surface ✖

- Return all the data collected to Kerbin âœâ€

Craft used:

KE-X+ Badacz lander

Crew: 1

Cost: 52,991

Total mass: 103,899 kg

Craft mass: 6,594 kg

Science collected: 369

Economy: 8,024 / t & 143 / science

With POISK-II making a turning point in Klavic space exploration, a green light was given for a second kerbed mission attempt - this time aimed at Minimus. Since Jebediah was still stuck on the Mun (luckily, the constant supply of crosswords kept him busy enough not to think about turning the rocket on his own), Bill was chosen to pilot this spacebreaking flight.

As Kepanik's trusted KE-003 turned out to be underpowered for such mission, a new carrier rocket had to be devised. A heavier and more powerful, the new craft was largely considered a prototype for a new generation of launchers - and therefore never received formal designation.

Just as POISK-II was a largely updated version of the old lander, Badacz was a direct upgrade of Munshot craft. However, instead of a simple 'land and take off' scheme, the designers (among them the rising star of space engineering - Kermaszewski) decided to implement two novelties - a small, autonomous probe to be left on Minimus' surface, and radial engines to make the lander more compact and faciliate the probe's deployment.

Take off, insertion and transfer were performed without any difficulties. Multiplied SAS and flight-control systems secured a steady touchdown, following the pattern set by POISK-II. Upon touching the alien surface, Bill performed some simple measurements and took surface samples, as well as investigated the Pioneer Rock - a boulder closest to landing site. Goo and Material Bay observations were also conducted, revealing Minimus to be indeed a cold world - but with temperatures slightly above water melting point, suggesting the icy surface was far from being pure water.

Upon depoying the Czujnik probe, Bill climbed back into the capsule and blasted off Minimus' surface. The return trip has proven to be uneventful and calm - unfortunately, tragedy almost struck during reentry.

Following the standard reentry procedure, the lander discarded its propulsion stage upon entering atmosphere - and, due to different drag factors, almost crashed directly into it. Even when the capsule only marginaly missed the engine compartment, the problems continued - the parachute provided to little drag for the capsule to slow down to safe speed and the craft made a semi-hard landing. The Material Bay compartment managed to absorb the shock - but the samples have been irreversably damaged, rendering almost 1/3 of all mission date irrecoverable.

Still, the Badacz mission has proven to be a breakthrough the Klavs needed; with a Kerbal finally sent to an alien body and back, the mission provided the greatest amount of data up to the time. Additionally, the Czujnik probe beamed the frist data from interplanetary medium, as well as conducted observations of nightside Minimus surface. Budget cuts have been revoked, and Kermaszewski was given the most ambitious task so far - expanding the space program beyond the boundries of Minimus orbit...

Edited by Astraph

Latawiec

Objectives:

- Deploy Gilly probe ✖

- Conduct observations on Gilly's surface ✖

- Perform soft landing upon Eve âœâ€

- Conduct observations on Eve's surface âœâ€[

Craft used:

KE-010 + Gilly probe + Latawiec lander

Cost: 68,360

Total mass: 185,071 t

Craft mass: 4,497 t (Latawiec), 1,804 t (Gilly)

Science collected: 187

Economy: 10,849 / t & 366 / science

The destination of the first interplanetary flight became the subject of a heated debate. Both Eve and Duna presented interesting options, being relatively close and easliy accessable. Ultimately, the violet planet was chosen as mission's destination.

Kepanik and Kermaszewski's design bureau sat together, accompanied by a young aeronautics specialist Kyakovlev, to create the most sophisticated probe so far - Latawiec.

Sitting on top of a KE-010 - a new launcher designed by Kepanik as a standard heavy lifter - the craft consisted of two separate devices; the Gilly probe, designed to perform a soft landing on the asteroid-like body, and Latawiec aeroplane, designed for atmospherical entry and gentle glide across Eve's thick atmosphere.

However, the lack of interplanetary experience became evident; the transfer stage burnt out completely shortly after reaching Eve's orbit, even despite using aerobraking to reduce fuel consumption. Gilly's tiny fuel reserves were designed for landing, not orbital manouvers - so the Latawiec had to jettison the probe. Still, its scientific instruments, however, have not been wasted - the probe conducted several measurements of deep space, beaming first information about temperature, radiation levels and so on.

Latawiec itself entered Eve's atmosphere in a very steep dive, its speed exceeding 4 km/s upon entry. Deploying aerobrakes and using its own engine, the probe managed to achieve a semi-stable gliding trajectory at around 10 km, and started gentle descent towards the surface. Beaming images and data, the probe gave Kerbals first impression of Kerbin's violet sister; a harsh and unfriendly world, yet beautiful world.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.