[1.02] Vertical Propulsion Emporium. v0.22b (10th may 2015)

Kerb-fu

I can't do top hat due to current mod limitations, possibly goggles in the future but agreed the game needs both. I'm going to do a colonel saunders style face because the pointy goatee inspired me but Proot is the guy for awesome Kerbal heads!

Just got this mod, using it in 0.23.5. Cool concept, am starting a career game using only these parts. But there's a problem:

Is it just me or does everybody see the "barrel chute" as extremely tiny? I mean, the part is about the size of a strut end piece, maybe smaller. I checked the cfg and its has the same "scale = 0.1" and "scalefactor = 1.25" as other parts. So what size is it supposed to be and how do I make it so?

Thanks.

Just got this mod, using it in 0.23.5. Cool concept, am starting a career game using only these parts. But there's a problem:

Is it just me or does everybody see the "barrel chute" as extremely tiny? I mean, the part is about the size of a strut end piece, maybe smaller. I checked the cfg and its has the same "scale = 0.1" and "scalefactor = 1.25" as other parts. So what size is it supposed to be and how do I make it so?

Thanks.

It is modelled small, but you can up the scale to twice the size by changing "rescaleFactor = 1.25" to "rescaleFactor = 2.5"... etc

Dont change the "scale = 0.1" field as that will affect attachment nodes.

Thanks for the info. I think it needs to be about 10 times bigger to be 1.25m diameter ;)

The chute is a radial mounted item, I am going to make larger inline ones for stack mounting.

The chute is a radial mounted item, I am going to make larger inline ones for stack mounting.

Hmmm. The chute in its current form will attach both radially and "stack-ly", so you could save yourself some effort by leaving it that way instead of making a new part. FWIW, I increased the "scalefactor" to 5, making it 4x bigger than originally. This makes it about 1.25m in diameter so it's in the same proportions to the capsule as stock chutes. I'm happy with it like this due to its flexibility in attaching and its size.

Another question: Where do I find the blimp and the metal tail fins with the holes in them? I see them in the screenshots in the 1st post but they're not in my game as far as I can tell.

Hmmm. The chute in its current form will attach both radially and "stack-ly", so you could save yourself some effort by leaving it that way instead of making a new part. FWIW, I increased the "scalefactor" to 5, making it 4x bigger than originally. This makes it about 1.25m in diameter so it's in the same proportions to the capsule as stock chutes. I'm happy with it like this due to its flexibility in attaching and its size.

Another question: Where do I find the blimp and the metal tail fins with the holes in them? I see them in the screenshots in the 1st post but they're not in my game as far as I can tell.

Blimps are not in download yet, I am fine-tuning them and they will be out soon. :wink:

Blimps are not in download yet, I am fine-tuning them and they will be out soon. :wink:

Looking forward to it.

In the meantime, I went back and put the chute scalefactor back at 1.25. While increasing this makes the packed chute look more in proportion to the rocket to my eyes, it also makes the deployed canopy ridiculously big.

I've discovered a couple of minor issues.

1. The whale oil rocket can't stand on the Launchpad. Either the nozzle sinks down into the pad and gets stuck there so the rocket won't fly. Or the nozzle sits on the Launchpad but then rocket falls over immediately. The big, perforated metal tail fins ain't in the download so you have to build something to support the rocket (at least until you unlock launch clamps). This support structure has to reach down from the tanks above because you can't attach anything radially to the engine.

13693619973_591f91dfa7.jpg

2. The battery changes color depending on the angle you're looking at it. From some angles, the internal cylinders are totally green. At other angles, only their centers are green.

13693580675_9c0fb51c93.jpg

2. The battery changes color depending on the angle you're looking at it. From some angles, the internal cylinders are totally green. At other angles, only their centers are green.

I think this is a problem with either Unity or the way the KSP Parttools handle transparent textures. From certain angles transparent textures just disappear. Alpha-cutoff textures don't seem to have this problem, but they can't be used for partial transparency like you see above.

Looking forward to it.

In the meantime, I went back and put the chute scalefactor back at 1.25. While increasing this makes the packed chute look more in proportion to the rocket to my eyes, it also makes the deployed canopy ridiculously big.

I've discovered a couple of minor issues.

1. The whale oil rocket can't stand on the Launchpad. Either the nozzle sinks down into the pad and gets stuck there so the rocket won't fly. Or the nozzle sits on the Launchpad but then rocket falls over immediately. The big, perforated metal tail fins ain't in the download so you have to build something to support the rocket (at least until you unlock launch clamps). This support structure has to reach down from the tanks above because you can't attach anything radially to the engine.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2840/13693619973_591f91dfa7.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7361/13693580675_9c0fb51c93.jpg

Ok,

the fins should of been there, i will make sure they are on next update.

The battery thing i am aware of, it looks like a texture issue maybe.

Will look again at Whaleoil rocket...

And thanks for the feedback :) ... its handy to get this info for fixes

Edited by Kerb-fu

I think this is a problem with either Unity or the way the KSP Parttools handle transparent textures. From certain angles transparent textures just disappear. Alpha-cutoff textures don't seem to have this problem, but they can't be used for partial transparency like you see above.

I think you may be correct, I have experimented a bit with no luck... however I'll keep trying

So the other day I persuaded Shaw that Kerbal heads need a normal map. Among other things I'm working on a monocle for the prof :)

Sir, i must enthusiasticaly offer my most respectful contrafibularities on your amazing work and hope it causes you no undue perspicacious pericombobulations ... :D

I watch too much Blackadder...

Since you're using new resources, I'd recommend looking at Open Resource System. It could make things like 'Water' to be minable, and also synches it up with mods like KSP interstellar.

That would be cool, it would be great to have a means of stopping on planets to refuel my kerbal Munshine still... :cool:

That would be cool, it would be great to have a means of stopping on planets to refuel my kerbal Munshine still... :cool:

Haha yes! Like an coppardrum and distiliier ( think i spelled that wrong) Making kerbals happier and have a use for fuel, and ofc accidents will happen as in real mioonshining life

Haha yes! Like an coppardrum and distiliier ( think i spelled that wrong) Making kerbals happier and have a use for fuel, and ofc accidents will happen as in real mioonshining life

In the Kerbal Munshine still you can put in the config random explosion factor and make it happen :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.