[1.02] Vertical Propulsion Emporium. v0.22b (10th may 2015)

Kerb-fu

Could you get an old valve style radio and or an HMV style gramophone in there somewhere? New parts are looking very nice :D

Can you add music tracks to parts ? Would be nice for these long travels, also, those great looking telescopes made in the vicotrian/steampunk era would be so sweet, i think there was handhelds ones to, with kas you could do that to ;) Your mod has given us much joy

Could you get an old valve style radio and or an HMV style gramophone in there somewhere? New parts are looking very nice :D

Vacuum tube radios are post-WW1. I think the radio Kerb-Fu made looks much like the original Morse spark gap radios used in Victorian times :)

http://www.cwtd.org/Time2/4562sparkgapxmitter.jpg

Ok, hold onto your jetpacks gentle kerbs, and tell me what you think of these instruments.....

ToQLhIC.jpg

They are from top left accross, The Accelerometer and Thermometer

and accross the bottom row, The Barometer, The Voice Transmografication Set (radio) and the Gravimeter.

Can you add music tracks to parts ? Would be nice for these long travels, also, those great looking telescopes made in the vicotrian/steampunk era would be so sweet, i think there was handhelds ones to, with kas you could do that to ;) Your mod has given us much joy

While I appreciate your confidence in me, I am not sure if i have the skills to add music... I can make more items carryable though with KAS

They look SCHWEET! Do they come with the beautiful cases or are those for display purposes only :)

They come in their own glass domes, just the ticket for the more stylish laboratories... however the panels behind them are just my structural ones...

Bruce,

Is there any chance that you could host your files somewhere other than the Spaceport? I don't know how many other people have this problem but for me personally, any file larger than about 32MB cannot be downloaded as it always crashes at about that point. As an example, I can't use your cute little propeller as I can't download the Firespitter mod. I have not seen this problem mentioned on the forums, but I get it quite literally every time.

Bruce,

Is there any chance that you could host your files somewhere other than the Spaceport? I don't know how many other people have this problem but for me personally, any file larger than about 32MB cannot be downloaded as it always crashes at about that point. As an example, I can't use your cute little propeller as I can't download the Firespitter mod. I have not seen this problem mentioned on the forums, but I get it quite literally every time.

I can get Firespitter but for some reason 0.14a isn't downloading. It gets about 85% done and then I get a message saying the download was interrupted.

So, your browser crashes when the download is more than 32MB? Curious, which browser are you using?

My default is Firefox but I have tried both IE and Chrome but always the same result. The furthest that any attempt has ever got is 35.5MB. The only way that I could get the FASA mod was to ask the author to temporarily host it on Mediafire.

Edited by benzman

[...] that's called a Jacob's Ladder.

The main drawback to such things is that AFAIK they require an atmosphere to throw sparks via ionizing air molecules. I have no idea if they'd arc in space. So they might be more appropriate in IVA views like in the Mobile Lab. HOWEVER, this is a mod that pokes reality square in the eye so.... :)

Yep, they need something to heat to plasma, be it air, rare gasses or molecules of a partially vaporized anode, for the visuals. Try an air-filled, sealed glass container (with brass bands holding it to the wooden base). Also helps against fire and electrocution hazards.

But. Jacob's ladder need warm air (plasma) to rise for the travelling arc. Which means acceleration needs to be experienced (gravity + resting on the ground, engines pushing ...), free fall is not enough. Hence the need for fans in e.g. the ISS. But you could use it to measure the strength and direction of acceleration, by watching the arc (and perhaps using parts of 2 large spheres instead of 2 wires, measuring 2 dimensions and 2 directions).

But the secondth. Electricity is more Teslapunk than Steampunk.

Though I could see a Wimshurst, huge glass wheels spinning, pistons moving, steam whistling, boiler smoking, for electrical conductivity experiments on planets and moons ...

But the thirdth. Sparks radiate on all frequencies, thus a) produce interference and B) waste lots of the input energy on a probe with limited power placing a long distance call home, thus a Jacob's Ladder would be no good as antenna (and everyone who knows them would see that use as wrong) and a spark gap transmitter would only be used as final backup ...

In the end though it's clearly kerb-fu's artistic direction and call how much electricity e's Steampunk is supposed to have, from 'gaslights only' to 'nuclear reactors in your car produce electricity for the steam'. And how much such a thing would be internal consistent with e's Steampunk, or if consistency would matter at all.

But the thirdth. Sparks radiate on all frequencies, thus a) produce interference and B) waste lots of the input energy on a probe with limited power placing a long distance call home, thus a Jacob's Ladder would be no good as antenna (and everyone who knows them would see that use as wrong) and a spark gap transmitter would only be used as final backup ...

Yeah, spark gap radios produce all sorts of side noise. But that's part of their charm :). Besides, those were the only radios around in Victorian times.

Bruce,

Spaceport has allways done that to me, I use a download manager called getright, it takes all the hassle away :)

Bruce,

I put a dropbox link back on the first post now.

But here is another one....... v0.014a :cool:

This last release has a heat sheild in it too, its still a work in progress but let me know what you think.

It is designed to hinge away from the rocket above it and back again, so that it does not need to be jettisoned and is reusable :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.