Kassandra (interplanetary compact ship) v3.01, gravity turn? automatic once again!

H2O.

i unlocked everything in the carreer mode with my ships and now downloaded this one. its a hell of a beast! great ship. was first time in the jool system... i messed the way to jool that much that i had no chance to return. so i just enjoyed the scenes... but i have to read the manual. i think when i use this ship the way it is build for i can be much better in that game :D

i will try to land manned on duna (second time) with that.

and great to see how other people manage their ships... the sepatron I i only used as a lift help for mun-landers :D

Edited by KingPhantom

i used everything except the ion fuel. because i still had the lander with me :).

i messed it up...

i checked kassandra in the VAB... its just great. i got so many details on that think i never thought of. the ion ring is a masterpiece. i would never have such an idea. so its great that you show your rocket. so i can use some ideas on my own rockets. its great.

i tested the "covered" rocket. and startet against the kerbin spin (270° instead of 90°). it was very difficult to reacht a stable orbit. but i had to switch to the normal rocket. after that i was able for a transferburn to mun. i used the atomic engins only to make an orbit on the mun. than i switched to the lander. it has a good amount of fuel. i like that. probably i can add some more or update it with RCS :P.

i managed a fast and soft landing and testet the rover. he can do flips :P. but i really like it. after some serious science i returned to the capsule in the orbit and used the lander fuel for the way home. i only needed the ion engines to get away from the decoupled lander :D

its a great rocket. i think that was not the last time i used it. it looks also awesome :D

aaaand hey: all stock! thats the best part of it :D i dont play with mods

edit: what do you think? kassandra is made for duna. you used it on vall. i used it on mun. is it possible to reach other moons or planets? moho? or dres? should be possible, not?

i think i will try a manned moho landing with it... just to see if its possible. i will not use the right positions of the planets. i will just slingshot zu moho and see what's happening :D

Edited by KingPhantom

You should always aim for a 90° direction at launch, it significantly lower the dv requirement for an orbital trajectory.

Thank you for your compliments!

Dres is definitively possible, but Moho is out of question. Moho is actually very hard to reach because its sphere of influence is small, which mean it is one of the rare case where high TWR is needed. On the other hand, a slinghot should be pretty easy.

H20. just some imputs if you allow it: i miss the SAS wheel in the first stage. you could add it in the center rocket of the 5 starters... would be better for persicion streering because you dont use RCS.

i think i will add some lamps to the lander :) do you think that will work? the wheel and lamps? or is that to much weight (i don't have much experience in that game :D)

was on duna with it. it tooked ages until i understand how to do the things (with manual). i had a 3 year trip for duna. the transfer back to kerbin was the hardest part. ejection on duna. decrease my PE to 16bio km. than adjust the AP. than wait a year for kerbin. set target on kerbin. make course correction to encounter 22km into kerbins atmosphere. wait another 288 days to finally land on kerbin :D YAY :D

please more of stock rockets like that :D i would enjoy it.

edit: i updated the kassandra a little bit yesterday night. i have to test it. i will send a DL link to you (personal message) this weekend.

Edited by KingPhantom

I updated the kassandra a little bit yesterday night. i have to test it. i will send a DL link to you (personal message) this weekend.

Please, go ahead.

Regarding a SAS wheel in the first stage, it will only add roll capabilities. For torque, an SAS wheel should be in an extremity of the ship.

• 6 months later...

Hello people!

Lots of good stuff for this update:

• a new deployable satellite
  • 0.90 new parts
  • nuclear stage is now an independant subbasembly
  • lander with lower center of mass
  • and all that for 145 parts!

VY37Ysel.png

I ditched the fairing varaint, it was useless anyway. The new editor on the other hand is a godsend! I like the 0.90 version of KSP very very much.

This topic as 11000 views: I'm so glad you guys are interested!

As usual, don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Edited by H2O.

• 2 weeks later...

This is pretty cool. I'm using this for my second Duna mission, since it has a lot more stuff than my rocket :wink:.

EDIT:

Duna_Surface.png

I forgot to turn on the brakes for the rover when I decoupled it, and had to go on a wild goose chase to get it back :sticktongue:. I plan on staying a bit longer than last time.

EDIT2: You said it has the capabilities to go to most celestial objects; does it have the capabilities to land on them? I want to send a rescue mission to Eve to save a kerbal stranded there, but that place is a nightmare to land on and return to orbit.

EDIT3: All three kerbals returned to Kerbin in one piece :)

Edited by Brownhair2

I like the concept and the build but I am working on figuring out the action groups since they don't seem to make sense for me. I have had to relaunch more times than I care to since I would hit a key and all of a sudden I am stuck with about 8 different pieces with a command capsule on a long escape trajectory arc with zero control and either I launch a probably ill fated recovery mission or I hit escape and restart.

I like the concept and the build but I am working on figuring out the action groups since they don't seem to make sense for me. I have had to relaunch more times than I care to since I would hit a key and all of a sudden I am stuck with about 8 different pieces with a command capsule on a long escape trajectory arc with zero control and either I launch a probably ill fated recovery mission or I hit escape and restart.

Not trying to be rude, I'm genuinely curious, what are you having difficulty understanding? The custom actions 1-10 are linked to the number keys, and the rest are pretty self-explanatory. Once you select one, you can bind a specific action, such as decoupling a decoupler, to it, so that you don't have to do it manually.

Edited by Brownhair2

Action groups are detailled in the manual:

1/toggle ion engines

2/toggle lander engines

3/toggle solar panels

4/

5/science (minus goo container and material bay)

6/

7/shut down all engines, separate lander's ascent stage from landing gear and then activate lander's ascent stage engines

8/

9/eject escape tower

10/shut down all engines, deploy parachute, decouple every docking port

So for instance, in case of an abort during early flight, press "abort" and when you are at a safe distance press "action group 10".

"Action group 7" is basically for taking off while while you are on Duna's soil. In the manual, there is a typical mission description: if you read it, you will probably understand better the actions groups.

If it is not clear, tell me.

Brownhair2: cool picture, good stay and don't hesitate to send postcards!

JHadden123: Apollo style landers are fun and make a lot of sense for Duna (not so much for the Mün strangely enough).

Edited by H2O.

Hello people!

Lots of good stuff for this update:

• a new deployable satellite
  • 0.90 new parts
  • nuclear stage is now an independant subbasembly
  • lander with lower center of mass
  • and all that for 145 parts!

http://i.imgur.com/VY37Ysel.png

I ditched the fairing varaint, it was useless anyway. The new editor on the other hand is a godsend! I like the 0.90 version of KSP very very much.

This topic as 11000 views: I'm so glad you guys are interested!

As usual, don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Great job! This beauty has a very clean style)

Marine07: Thanks!

Brownhair2: Eve is a no go, definitively. An Eve lander is really a class of spaceship on his own :). You can orbit every celestial body but some destinations (like Moho and Eyloo) might require gravity assists. You can land anywhere but on Eve, Tylo and Laythe. You can probably land on Laythe with minor modifications to the lander (parachutes + radial engines + a bit of extra fuel should do the trick).

An Eve lander is really a class of spaceship on his own :).

Understatement of the decade. ;)

An Eve lander is an engineering challenge on par with a full Joolian tour. Ascending from the hellhole that is Eve is the most torturous thing you can subject a spacecraft to. I have yet to do it and I've been playing since 0.20.2.

An Eve lander is an engineering challenge on par with a full Joolian tour. Ascending from the hellhole that is Eve is the most torturous thing you can subject a spacecraft to. I have yet to do it and I've been playing since 0.20.2.

Well, it is not easy for sure, but it is really just about a good understanding of the Tsiolkovsky equation plus some known technics for building big rockets (asparagus, thrust plates, etc.). While a Joolian tour ship will require more thoughts, more compromise, more testing, more everything basically (complicated navigation, differents gravity bodies, atmospheric landings, etc.).

A little update.

As I become more familiar with the new editor, there are more and more possiblities that I notice. The part reduction is mainly about struts and cubic struts but that is already something, isn't it?

1.61 version

• less parts (now 138 against 145 in v1.6)
  • back to Korolev's cross for the first staging event!
  • back to the small parachute for the command module
  • imgur album modified to match changes
  • rewriting of some of the manual's sections to match changes

Edited by H2O.

They thought "Since we can't make Eve melt spacecraft, we'll just make it impossible to escape from" :wink:.

Although that does raise the question of how I'm gonna rescue the kerbal stranded there.

EDIT: A spaceplane would probably work easily, something along the lines of Scott Manley's (not even gonna try) except stock. The problem would be getting it there.

Edited by Brownhair2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.