0.23.5: oscillations leading to spontaneous disassembly

lewisd

Has anyone else been having problems with crazy oscillations in 0.23.5? I've been building some ships that launch and fly fine for a while, but at some point just start oscillating like crazy. I can turn off the throttle and SAS, but the oscillations still seem to feed on themselves, getting worse and worse, until parts break off the ship.

Now granted I couldn't build ships this long without tons of struts on 0.23.0. When I was playing 0.23.0 I eventually started using the joint reinforcement mod so I wouldn't have to strut spam so much, but I've never encountered such bad feedback with oscillations like this before.

Edit: I should mention that this was before struts were unlocked, so I didn't have them to use, but even so, I've never had this kind of feedback with oscillations in previous versions, that I can recall.

Edited by lewisd

I got a taste of it, but not to the degree you are. My biggest complaint is the way they screw up conics, if that's what's causing it.

I don't know if they're related, but I think I know the thing you're talking about. Where your orbital path wiggles so much you can hardly click on it? I've usually found that turning off SAS makes it a bit better. If it doesn't, do time warp for a short moment to dampen the oscillations, and that usually works. But again, not always. :/

Yes, I've been seeing this. The ship will vibrate harder and harder until it explodes. You can't switch away or timewarp because you're "under acceleration". It'll strike when freshly switching to a ship, or coming out of timewarp. It's more likely to happen if SAS is turned on, or you go into physical timewarp.

Thankfully it's not happening all the time, and I can usually break out of it by hitting F9, and then either quitting/restarting (in the more severe cases), or managing to turn SAS on/off before it begins.

Yes, I've been seeing this. The ship will vibrate harder and harder until it explodes. You can't switch away or timewarp because you're "under acceleration". It'll strike when freshly switching to a ship, or coming out of timewarp. It's more likely to happen if SAS is turned on, or you go into physical timewarp.

Mine's just happening while still in Kerbin's atmosphere during launch. Timewarp is physics acceleration, so it doesn't help "freeze" the oscillations.

I don't know if they're related, but I think I know the thing you're talking about. Where your orbital path wiggles so much you can hardly click on it? I've usually found that turning off SAS makes it a bit better. If it doesn't, do time warp for a short moment to dampen the oscillations, and that usually works. But again, not always. :/

I have had occasional success stopping the conics from going insane with time warp, but it usually starts up again within a few minutes. It really screws me up, because I like to put maneuver nodes on capture points so I can use warp assist in MJ to get a few minutes from the capture point. But the conics wobble breaks the warp assist and I end up having to reload.

At least a few different bug reports have been submitted about the issue. Usually you can stop the problem by removing whatever the offending part happens to be from the equation, but that's not always possible to narrow down...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.