Class D= move a friggen mountain

engraverwilliam

My biggest problem with the E type was lack of torque.

I got around this by attaching several "torque modules" to my asteroid roughly 90 degrees apart on a couple axis. The longer the lever, the better it worked (provided you ramped up the torque slowly, OR used something like the KAS mod to attach struts from the tower to the asteroid):

IK8FNMq.png

My standard roid tug is about 80 tons, has 4 NV-L's and about 15,000 deltaV in its own right.

Oh it also has a bout 6 large SAS modules to help with rotating the damn things.

Caught a class D and pushed it into a 200 km orbit quite easily. Not only that but the roid was coming in to orbit the "wrong" way round. . . so had to flip the incoming path too.

Didn't have enough DeltaV left to correct the 25 degree inclination however. . . that will require another tug.

The key is indeed to use areobraking, pick one that passes pretty close to Kerbin anyway (or impacts!). . . RDV a fair way out and just nudge it a tiny bit. I find 40-45km Pe works well. There is very little chance of accidentally over cooking it an impacting. . . these things are so heavy they only lose about 100 Pe altitude each orbit.

Entire capture maneuver for my class D cost less than 100 m/s in DeltaV. Another few hundred, to circularize the orbit. The problem with nudges from far out is that even if you line it up as well as you can you will inevitably have a quite a large inclination in the orbit (unless your lucky enough to have a roid coming in in EXACTLY the same plane Kerbin! I've never see one.)

Only attached to a class E once. . . needed about 70 m/s to capture. . . only had 53 left post attachment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.