[Plugin][.24.2] For Science! - Science Automation (Aug 13th, 2014)

WaveFunctionP

I'm not so sure this passed through the update completely unscathed. Decided to blow a few days grabbing low and high-orbit gravity scans and whatnot, and after farting around in low orbit for an hour things worked well enough. Went to high orbit, sped through about 30 hours - and got hit with a massive 115-report sciencesplosion the second I dropped out of timewarp, including a whole crapload of reports you can only get from being landed on the surface, many of which were also things I'd already cleared out. Went back to KSC, was coming in for landing - and got hit with *another* one right on my final approach. Don't think I can get anything useful from the log, unfortunately, since 99% of it's For Science firing off about no science or experiments being available.

You should be getting them as you warp. There's nothing really magical going on with what the mod is doing. It literally just runs the experiments when the game says it is available. You may have picked those landed reports on launch. Keep in mind that some experiments in orbit have reports for each biome like the gravity sensor.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you elaborate on your plan for UI? It sounds like you are moving it to be a command-pod function, instead of a global setting. Am I right? It sounds useful to be able to choose where the data gets stored, but I also like the convenience of a simple on-off button at hand.

Until you get around to implement fancy UI, would it be a big burden to exchange the current window for a simple stock-toolbar button with an icon indicating on/off?

Oh, and your mod is potentially the most time-saving of the 20-something I currently use.

Not working as it should (ksp 0.25 32bit, Windows 7)

KSC_LaunchPad_Platform error:

Screenshot_1.jpg

It might also mess with "ScienceAlert" but not certain. (there is no aleart, when there should be)

Please can this mod be fixed for 0.25?!

I just can't play without "For science"

• 1 month later...

Hey guys

So SpaceKitty and I decided to try our hands at modding so we added some things like a proper interface and applauncher integration to this mod (it was really missing them).

Some teasers:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The icon is actually animated (code pieces taken from ScienceAlert) if the mod is turned on. The speed of the animation can be set in the settings which can be opened by right clicking on the icon (got the idea from ScienceAlert).

A pm to WaveFunctionP has been sent asking for permission to release it and possibly taking over the mod.

And happy new year to everyone

It would be great if it would start active. Also the window position is not saved. alwais in the way. I think it would be best not to have a window, only a button in a toolbar which would change color when it active (like ScienceAlert changes icon when there is science available).

thank you developer for great mod.

Hey guys

So SpaceKitty and I decided to try our hands at modding so we added some things like a proper interface and applauncher integration to this mod (it was really missing them).

Some teasers:

http://imgur.com/a/7gfcE

The icon is actually animated (code pieces taken from ScienceAlert) if the mod is turned on. The speed of the animation can be set in the settings which can be opened by right clicking on the icon (got the idea from ScienceAlert).

A pm to WaveFunctionP has been sent asking for permission to release it and possibly taking over the mod.

I really hope the OP will respond, but even if not, the license allows you to develop it. This mod is so essential to enjoying gameplay.

Regarding your options:

1. How does "Run one-time only" work? It would need a value threshold like ScienceAlert.

2. When "Transfer science to container" is active, would it be possible to detect duplicates and avoid cases of accidental transfer-and-discard-without-confirmation-prompt? I have lost many science points this way.

And a new functionality:

Essentially, the mod does an EVA to remove data and store it. (Not really, because it works even when EVA is unavailable in career.)

Would it be possible to detect if EVA is available, i.e. researched and (AtmosphericDrag+CurrentAcceleration)<X m/s², and then add EVA reports automatically? It would save lots of clicking.

I really hope the OP will respond, but even if not, the license allows you to develop it. This mod is so essential to enjoying gameplay.

we will most likely release it the coming days. we just thought it was polite to ask the op.

Regarding your options:

1. How does "Run one-time only" work? It would need a value threshold like ScienceAlert.

It just means that it will run experiments that arent repeatable like the goo container. A value threshold is already implemented -> "Science cutoff" now that i read it it might not be the best description to what it does

2. When "Transfer science to container" is active, would it be possible to detect duplicates and avoid cases of accidental transfer-and-discard-without-confirmation-prompt? I have lost many science points this way.

I never realized that one could lose alot of science cause of this. Anyways i implemented some checks to avoid this issue. :)

And a new functionality:

Essentially, the mod does an EVA to remove data and store it. (Not really, because it works even when EVA is unavailable in career.)

Would it be possible to detect if EVA is available, i.e. researched and (AtmosphericDrag+CurrentAcceleration)<X m/s², and then add EVA reports automatically? It would save lots of clicking.

By add them automatically you mean do them without getting out of the vessel ? I dont think that its possible. But we will have a good look at that cause it seems like a good idea

It just means that it will run experiments that arent repeatable like the goo container. A value threshold is already implemented -> "Science cutoff" now that i read it it might not be the best description to what it does

Yeah, some clarification on that number is needed.

By add them automatically you mean do them without getting out of the vessel ? I dont think that its possible. But we will have a good look at that cause it seems like a good idea

Take a look at Probe Science config files. Maybe you can use MM for something like

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],#vesselType[CommandPod]]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleScienceExperiment

experimentID = EVAReport

Take a look at Probe Science config files. Maybe you can use MM for something like

I would prefer not to change any parts. I changed the code that excluded eva reports from being done automatically so now as soon as you get out of a pod it will do those experiments too.(No more need to click on the kerbal and do the eva report \o/ )

I would prefer not to change any parts. I changed the code that excluded eva reports from being done automatically so now as soon as you get out of a pod it will do those experiments too.(No more need to click on the kerbal and do the eva report \o/ )

How can I get an EVA report from the ground, if it fills the slot as soon as I am on the ladder? Or this only if not landed or splashed down?

How can I get an EVA report from the ground, if it fills the slot as soon as I am on the ladder? Or this only if not landed or splashed down?

Good catch i never thought about this issue. I had some ideas how to "fix it" but am currently stuck on finding out how to get the vessel the kerbal got out of.

If anyone knows how to do that i would be glad for some pointers.

am currently stuck on finding out how to get the vessel the kerbal got out of.

If anyone knows how to do that i would be glad for some pointers.

You can use GameEvents.onCrewOnEva or inspect launchID

note: code lacks error checking

[KSPAddon(KSPAddon.Startup.Flight, false)]
public class EvaMothership : MonoBehaviour
{
void Start() { GameEvents.onCrewOnEva.Add(GoingEva); }

void OnDestroy() { GameEvents.onCrewOnEva.Remove(GoingEva); }

void GoingEva(GameEvents.FromToAction<Part, Part> parts)
{
print(parts.to.protoModuleCrew.First().name + " got out of " + parts.from.vessel.vesselName);
}

void OnGUI()
{
var v = FlightGlobals.ActiveVessel;

// note: cache this in real code instead of being wasteful
if (v != null)
if (v.isEVA)
{
var mothership =
FlightGlobals.Vessels.FirstOrDefault(vessel =>
{
if (vessel.loaded)
return vessel.rootPart.launchID == v.rootPart.launchID;
else return vessel.protoVessel.protoPartSnapshots[vessel.protoVessel.rootIndex].launchID == v.rootPart.launchID;
});

GUI.Label(new Rect(300f, 300f, 200f, 32f),
"Mothership: " + (mothership != null ? mothership.vesselName : "<not found>"));
}
}
}

Hey guys

Some teasers:

http://imgur.com/a/7gfcE

The mod is CCSA. You guys go wild.

I only ask that, if possible, please try to use a github branch so that we can easily collaborate in the future. And that you maintain a separate support thread and mod name or variation.

To be clear, there is nothing broken with the mod right now, is there?

The mod is CCSA. You guys go wild.

I only ask that, if possible, please try to use a github branch so that we can easily collaborate in the future. And that you maintain a separate support thread and mod name or variation.

To be clear, there is nothing broken with the mod right now, is there?

github branch and own support thread with a name variation.

thanks for creating this mod in the first place :)

and yeah like you said there is nothing broken with this mod.

• 10 months later...

This mod was working great,until 1.0.4.Now when 1.0.5 is out,the only thing that works is auto data storage.The science is not auto colectable anymore.I have to run every experimet manualy.So i wonder are there any plans to update this?

• 2 months later...
On 11/12/2015 at 9:45 AM, sebi.zzr said:

This mod was working great,until 1.0.4.Now when 1.0.5 is out,the only thing that works is auto data storage.The science is not auto colectable anymore.I have to run every experimet manualy.So i wonder are there any plans to update this?

Second this.  I'm new to the game and so I haven't even tried it on older versions.  There's no auto experiments happening.

output_log.txt has a bunch of the following error:

MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'ScienceData..ctor'.
  at ForScience.ForScience.RunScience () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ForScience.ForScience.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I can't find anything at RunScience that should have a constructor to be missing.  While I do speak C# I know nothing of trying to debug plug-in code beyond writing log lines.  Is there any better answer?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.