What are we going to do about Mainsails?

MrCoolx10

Well not every rocket needs to be a 3.75m behemoth, I personally still use Mainsails and orange tanks for my medium payload rockets (and in career mode in particular). After all, even in KSP, there is such a thing as "overkill". Unless you're Whackjob.

Well not every rocket needs to be a 3.75m behemoth, I personally still use Mainsails and orange tanks for my medium payload rockets (and in career mode in particular). After all, even in KSP, there is such a thing as "overkill". Unless you're Whackjob.

The problem being, if it's overkill for the Liquid fuel booster, its overkill for the mainsail as well. Just skip the mainsail and use a skipper. (lol)

They've become niche use engines for me. In a situation where Mainsail-level thrust but less than an orange tank's worth of fuel is desired, or a powerful engine in an upper stage where the Mainsail's lower attachment is useful, it is still a viable choice. For all other purposes the LFB-KR1x2 is superior.

They're so iconic but now they are weak. The new engines don't even have a catchy name.

Not only they don't have a catchy name, did you read their descriptions? Thankfully they are so short that there's not enough time for me to die of boredom.

Edited by m4v

The problem being, if it's overkill for the Liquid fuel booster, its overkill for the mainsail as well. Just skip the mainsail and use a skipper. (lol)

Ah yes, that twin-nozzled fuel tank/engine hybrid... Thing. I don't trust it. Every rocket I've made with it has gone flipping all over the place about a quarter of the way through the gravity turn, while equivalents using mainsails have flown just fine. The quad-core I like, and I looooove the new SRBs; but the big ol' honking single 3.75m engine and the liquid boosters have given me nothing but trouble.

Guys, this has to be the twentieth thread on this. Please just add your comments to existing threads, otherwise you'll drown out all useful discussion with this incessant back and forth circular discussion.

/thread.