So is it just me?

The rockets are the means to a end, But if this game is only about exploring then it is very pointless, As I said before I can easily go play a free game to get what this game offers and has planed to offer.

Why would that be pointless?

Maybe you're just thinking in terms of exploration as simply being, "Let's see what's at the other rim of this crater... oh look, more rock."

Exploration is building rockets, hurtling ourselves through space, taking readings and samples, etc. What's really missing to make the whole thing complete though is an element of planning, strategy, and problem solving that takes place AFTER you've reached your destination. Something that you can't just rinse and repeat for every body you visit (beyond, can I land here with chutes or do I need rockets?).

Saying KSP is about exploration is no different from saying Sim City is about being a Mayor. Building your layout is only the first step. Lots of other factors quickly come into play, and it's those kinds of factors that KSP is currently missing. Time will tell how many of those factors are being considered.

Why would that be pointless?

Maybe you're just thinking in terms of exploration as simply being, "Let's see what's at the other rim of this crater... oh look, more rock."

Exploration is building rockets, hurtling ourselves through space, taking readings and samples, etc. What's really missing to make the whole thing complete though is an element of planning, strategy, and problem solving that takes place AFTER you've reached your destination. Something that you can't just rinse and repeat for every body you visit (beyond, can I land here with chutes or do I need rockets?).

Saying KSP is about exploration is no different from saying Sim City is about being a Mayor. Building your layout is only the first step. Lots of other factors quickly come into play, and it's those kinds of factors that KSP is currently missing. Time will tell how many of those factors are being considered.

Same thing, different parts, your point?

You're right, I don't understand the conversation. Basically you're mad because KSP isn't a space program by your definition? That some pieces aren't being put in or haven't been put in yet? That the game is incomplete and you're angry because of that? I got news for you, then: the KSP devs are going to make the game they want to see and if you don't like it you should go play that aforementioned free game you keep lauding.

You have a laundry list of complaints but as soon as people address those complaints you say they don't understand the "conversation". I can only conclude that you're trolling. If you're not actually trolling then please read (and re-read) the posts and understand that people are actually trying to help you get what you want out of the game.

Your the only one that said I was mad, I don't get mad but thank you for your concern, if you don't mind please don't post any more.

The thing is, the reason features are on the what not to suggest page does not mean that it is not going to be added. In fact, it means the opposite: they are going to be added in future updates.
Incorrect. It merely means the suggestions are so common that we have to limit them so that we can actually see a few original ideas come around every now and again. Some things, like weapons, are most decidedly not (as stated by Squad) going to be in the game, and are thus on the WNTS list.

--Vexx32

Also, a sandbox game is all about getting a sense of achievement. If you want something more, wait until Budget and reputation is added in 0.24. One more thing: your attitude to other forum members is horrendous! How dare you belittle these people and insult them? Doing this will merely turn them more and more against you. Attacking someone who gave their opinion (which they are entitled to have) and even supported your motion will simply make them go against you.

Its not the fact that it will be added, its How its going to be add, though mods, once again another person that doesn't understand that it should be in the base game to make it have more depth to the game instead of just being about building a rocket, getting to a planet and gaining science.

I`ll just leave this here...

It seems to capture the thread...

You can`t discuss the topic of the thread?

problem : not enough features

solution : features are being added

difficulty is you can`t mention features are being added?

thread over in my mind.

Keep going round in circles if you like but I`m out of here.

Aye what I should have typed in was "The lack of planned features and the lack of the devs making the game more then just about building rockets and getting science"

Back to the OP, and linked to the discussion about if resources or any other feature must be added, here goes my humble opinion:

Before I purchased KSP when 0.18 was released, I read these forums and the Planned Features Wiki page.

I knew the game was in alpha state before purchasing. Multiplayer was in the "What not to suggest" list and "Not happening" list back then. Better aerodynamics, re-entry heat and (not sure of this one) resource system were planned features.

That still doesn't apply to what I am saying, What will multiplayer do to make the game more interesting, Find ways to screw over your friends for a couple of hours? Then what? no joint missions to the mun to build a refuleing station, or even a mission to get a mining base up and running on another planet to send it back to kerbin for building parts, No just more rocket building... and more and more.... oh look a mission? oh lets just launch another rocket like we have already done one billion times before, because its not the same thing over and over!

200 hours is not all that much to some, but many people leave a game after way shorter period. You seem to be the case of a player who likes the game for the fun it used to be but who does not find it fun anymore. That's quite normal thing to happen and it is important to understand that it is not someone's fault that it happened. Many people go and complain about the game not providing enough challenge or certain feature with which they would certainly find the game fun again ... but even if they actually get what they're asking for (and yes I have seen that happen), it often doesn't help. I had this happen to me way too many times already with all kinds of games (and even non-games) and there was always just one solution: to move on. It's better to leave a game with good memories of all the fun you had with it than to leave it with bitter feelings about it not going the way you thought you'd have liked it to go. Because with good memories, you may eventually get back and try it again for the old feeling of accomplishment on things that seemed so simple by the time you left.

Once again I am NOT complaining, I AM merely stating my openion and wanted others opinions not to be harassed and called a cry baby and be called mad when I am clearly not.

Lets simple this out.

The guy is complaining about the challenge of the game. He clearly doesn't understand that much about the game, then - career mode was only added a few months ago. What would he have thought before that...?

He's complaining about the lack of/diversity of features; the game is being made at this point, stuff will be added and fixed, just be patient.

You're also missing the point, features that they don't want to be discussed here aren't out of the equation, multiplayer is an example of this.

Overall, everyone has their own opinion, and everyone is always right in a way, and always wrong in another. We must be patient, we all love the game - the devs do too - we have to embrace the passion of the KSP team, there's not that many game studios which would put this much effort into one game, considering it's not a massive AAA title.

Again not complaining or am mad, I know quite a bit more about the game then you think, I'd be happy if you didn't go around assuming anything about me, Thanks, Also if you don't have anything more to do then to try and point out what I am not then please don't post.

This has all become pointless, The only one that seems to have even tried to understand anything is Baythan, Thank you for that Baythan.

Either way it has been a head ack and I wish everyone luck as well as the devs and hope that they can at lest do what they stated on they're website.

Edited by Seldion

Please correct me if I'm wrong, Seldion, but what I think you want in the game is more STRUCTURE.

I'm not talking about space stations or bases, I mean structure as in having a set of goals that have been laid out for you. As in there would be a list of things to do on a mission roster like: "Dock with a spacecraft", "Enter the SOI of Jool", and "Land on the Mun". I believe that you're unhappy with the game, in its current state of development, since there is no guide to how to play the game, and everything is left up to you.

KSP was never about that kind of thing, though. The devs have stated that they don't want to give the player a set of predefined goals for the player, since the player should, in theory, have the imagination to come up with their own mission. It all depends on how the player feels. If the player wants to throw together a trashy, large, unsightly amalgamation of parts to visit the Mun on tier 1 of the tech tree, they can. If they want to play the game slowly, methodically and carefully, they can. If they want to play with mods, they can. If they want to play sandbox, they can. Point being, the devs want to make KSP an open-ended game, where the goals are YOUR OWN, not some computer generated ones.

Because think about it, how would you feel if you were forced to send a Jool mission when you weren't ready? What if you wanted to send an Eve probe/lander, but the game said you would have to dock 2 spacecraft together first? That would be an immersion breaker, and it would make you unhappy. Because the game is called Kerbal Space PROGRAM, not Kerbal Space Simulator. It's YOUR program, and you have every right to control it the way you want to, not be shepherded by the devs to follow a concrete path.

As has been said, budgets are on their way. Possibly in the next update.

Resources have already been explored by the devs and they thought it to be very grindy. A position which I support. The best example of a resource collection system at present is the kethane pal which is very similar to the design the devs had a look at. If you can think of a more interesting design let's hear it.

I do agree with your statement about upgrading the space center, it has been suggested in the past though no word from the devs had been seen.

The problem with science over time is that you either make the rate small enough that it can be abused via time warp, making it almost useless. Our large enough that it isn't useless, leaving it open to abuse from time warp.

Your comment that "all you do is launch rockets" is amusing at best. It's like saying all you do in Minecraft is brake and place blocks, or all you do in GTA V is drive and shoot people.

Also to say that the devs have just left features up to the modding community would be fair if the devs have stopped working on the game, which they haven't.

You have a right your opinion that the game is shallow, but that doesn't mean it is a reasonable one.

And what is this free game you keep mentioning.

if you don't mind please don't post any more.

I do mind, so...

no joint missions to the mun to build a refuleing station, or even a mission to get a mining base up and running on another planet to send it back to kerbin for building parts, No just more rocket building... and more and more.... oh look a mission? oh lets just launch another rocket like we have already done one billion times before, because its not the same thing over and over!

Ah, so this is basically about the shelved resources feature. So you want to have resource gathering in the base game in order to, what, build more rockets and fly more missions? Maybe have some sort of macguffinite that you build advanced parts out of or something? In order to, what, get more resources? Replace the science gathering?

Quite frankly we have no idea what features the devs will include in the game aside from a few concrete ideas. After the resource fiasco I don't expect any word on future features until they're slated for the next release; it's the only smart thing to do, especially since their stated goal is to make a fun game. Their idea of fun might not match your idea of fun, and any given feature may get axed if it doesn't match their idea of fun, it's just something you have to get used to.

Fortunately KSP has pretty decent support for mods, so you can generally find a given feature from the fans. That's probably the greatest thing about this game.

So when you say "lack of planned features" you mean only the features listed on the planned list, right? The devs so far have not released a complete roadmap of all the things that will be implemented throughout the updates, and the planned features list is only a small amount of what will actually be in the game.

Guys, don't even bother trying to argue; when someone has an idea/opinion stitched into their head so tightly you're better off argueing with a wall...

All I have to say is: this game isn't even at .25; not even a quarter of the way towards 1.0, the complete version. If you think the game is lacking features, depth or a general objective, that is your answer why... It's no where near finished.

I recommend close thread before this becomes a flame war....

Edited by Random Tank

Play the career mode, nothing more satisfying than unlocking a bunch of new tech, also remember this game is in beta, so things like finances and static space structures, perhaps science gathering hubble style telescopes are easily implemented and will likely be used on future releases

Same thing, different parts, your point?

Your the only one that said I was mad, I don't get mad but thank you for your concern, if you don't mind please don't post any more.

Its not the fact that it will be added, its How its going to be add, though mods, once again another person that doesn't understand that it should be in the base game to make it have more depth to the game instead of just being about building a rocket, getting to a planet and gaining science.

Aye what I should have typed in was "The lack of planned features and the lack of the devs making the game more then just about building rockets and getting science"

That still doesn't apply to what I am saying, What will multiplayer do to make the game more interesting, Find ways to screw over your friends for a couple of hours? Then what? no joint missions to the mun to build a refuleing station, or even a mission to get a mining base up and running on another planet to send it back to kerbin for building parts, No just more rocket building... and more and more.... oh look a mission? oh lets just launch another rocket like we have already done one billion times before, because its not the same thing over and over!

Once again I am NOT complaining, I AM merely stating my openion and wanted others opinions not to be harassed and called a cry baby and be called mad when I am clearly not.

Again not complaining or am mad, I know quite a bit more about the game then you think, I'd be happy if you didn't go around assuming anything about me, Thanks, Also if you don't have anything more to do then to try and point out what I am not then please don't post.

This has all become pointless, The only one that seems to have even tried to understand anything is Baythan, Thank you for that Baythan.

Either way it has been a head ack and I wish everyone luck as well as the devs and hope that they can at lest do what they stated on they're website.

for someone who isnt mad you are incredibly passive aggressive.

The devs will keep working to make this game fit their vision for it, and either until then or instead of that, you can use what our large modding community has in place.

"Its not the fact that it will be added, its How its going to be add, though mods, once again another person that doesn't understand that it should be in the base game to make it have more depth to the game instead of just being about building a rocket, getting to a planet and gaining science."

-Seldion

If you actually READ the devnotes (reading the whole article is obviously high on your agenda, considering the number of times you've shoved it down our throats) then you'll find that they are implementing contracts and reputation into the stock game in the next update. In fact, there's even a contracts page on the wiki (if you didn't believe me). Also, you didn't follow my words of advice: now there is no chance of me ever siding with you if you continue with your attitude to people's views on the matter.

... just more rocket building... and more and more.... oh look a mission? oh lets just launch another rocket like we have already done one billion times before, because its not the same thing over and over!

If you are tired of rocket building, maybe its time for you to try another game.

I have over 1000 hours played on KSP and still find new things to do, many things. Actually, I don't have the time to try them all. This is the reason I like sandbox games... just use your imagination. And if I feel that the game lacks any feature I would like and the devs are aiming their efforts in any other direction, just suggest it, and then go to the forum mods section and often find a mod that suits my needs (Modders: youre great!!!:cool:).

Edited by DoToH

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.