Why does Kerbol's curvature appear only 1300 meters from its surface.

kerbol420

Kerbol is very very big. And yet it's curvature seems quite visible from only 1300 meters above its surface. What's going on here? It seems from this diagram that Kerbol should appear as a vast wall:

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/File:Kerbol_sizecomp_chart.jpg

Here's a screenshot showing a clearly spherical sun not so far beneath me: http://postimg.org/image/mq1reyull/

In the chart i don't believe Kerbol to be drawn to scale. At least when it comes to curvature. As in the chart, kerbol has nearly none or if very little angling. That is my only explanation beyond minor differences in measurements of Kerbol's exact surface.

If you play with Realistic Solar System, the Earth is almost flat at 1300m : however, Jool have kind of the size of the Earth (I mean the real one)

So Kerbol should be even bigger, having a such curvature at 1300m is really weird

Edited by Nemecle

It's in how it is being rendered using the placeholder from the much older version. Eventually, that will get fixed where your ship will probably be vaporized at a point where Kerbal quits getting larger and not at 1300 meters.

To my memory, that altimeter reading goes to the kill-zone, not to the actual hypothetical "surface". You're still a long way from the surface, just real close to the killzone... assuming my memory is good, for once.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.