Mechjeb not working in Career Mode

So I downloaded Mechjeb, specifically this version:

kerbalspaceprogram.com/mechjeb/‎

Everything works fine in career mode, it's integrated with the tech tree, the model is there.

But when I actually put it on a ship, it just doesn't work. The grey tab that's supposed to be there isn't. And there's a red light on the part - maybe signifying that it isn't turned on?

So does anyone know to make it work? Is there something I'm not doing or something I'm missing?

Thanks

Edited by r1chman10

The "obvious" problems could be:

- Not using the correct version

- Not having activated the parts in the techtree

- Out of power? But then the tabs should still work... they just don't do anything.

Did you add Mechjeb later in your career save? Then you have to add the modules seperately...

The "obvious" problems could be:

- Not using the correct version

- Not having activated the parts in the techtree

- Out of power? But then the tabs should still work... they just don't do anything.

Did you add Mechjeb later in your career save? Then you have to add the modules seperately...

I'm using the .23.5 version from the spaceport.

I did install mechjeb after starting my save, but I did activate the part.

I tried it multiple times, with different ships and multiple solar panels, so that can't be the case.

Any other suggestions?

Any other suggestions?

Hm... correctly installed and activated in the techtree... also the other parts activated? The modules? (Just checking...). The techtree tiers with the little numbers?

Hm... any other mods? I think I remember there was a problem with the order in which you install the mods, although I don't remember where I read that.

Probably the installation has an different name? I ran into that problem once, since I had a download once with "Mechjeb2-2" or something like that, that did not work.

Other than that, I can't think of anything.

You probably tried that, but how about getting rid of all mods, then reinstalling the mods?

Everything works fine in career mode, it's integrated with the tech tree, the model is there.

But when I actually put it on a ship, it just doesn't work. The grey tab that's supposed to be there isn't. And there's a red light on the part - maybe signifying that it isn't turned on?

Just to make sure:

You are talking about the tab to the right of the screen? And that one is missing?

You shouldn't have to have the Toolbar to make it work (I run MJ fine without Toolbar).

Make sure you put MJ and all it's sub-folders in the GameData folder. So it should look something like KSP\GameData\MechJeb2\ with an Icon, Parts, and Plugins directories. Make sure you don't have another MJ folder or .dll floating around KSP/Plugins.

Also, you can go into the KSP\GameData\MechJeb2\Plugins\PluginData\MechJeb2 directory and delete all those *.cfg files. Sometimes lingering cfg files can cause problems.

I'm not sure what build is up on the spaceport, but you can also download the latest build from here: http://jenkins.mumech.com/job/MechJeb2/

Grab the whole zip file. If you're going to reinstall, make sure you delete the entire KSP\GameData\MechJeb2 folder. Don't "merge" the files.

As way of troubleshooting try running a new career game, blitz where mechJeb is, and then see if it works. If it does you may have to either restart the carer game, do without mechJeb, or try and find a way to edit your save so that it works.

If it doesn't work in a new career game try seeing if it works in a new sandbox game. If it does then it appears that your mechJeb won't work in career mode. Try deleting mechJeb and installing again. If it work's in sandbox but not carer then either your mechJeb is broken or your KSP program is broken. I would try re-installing mechJeb first and if that doesn't fix it, I would try re-installing KSP. If anything re-installing KSP, then re-installing mechJeb, and not using any saves should work.

As mentioned above, there may be other problems with other mods. A way to troubleshoot this would be to remove them all to a dummy folder and then install them one at a time and seeing how they work or don't work together in a new game after each change. It may take some time especially if you were to very the order in which they are installed which will help deliver information if they don't work together.

I hope you get it working.

I deleted the MJ folder and reinstalled, but to no avail. And I deleted the .cfg's -- still didn't work.

There wasn't any MJ files in the KSP/Plugins folder either. The MJ part appears in both the VAB and the techtree. It still doesn't do anything when I put it on a ship.

That worked! After I moved all of my mods except for MJ, Squad and Nasa folders, it worked!

I'll add mods in one at a time now and see which one breaks it.

Good for you! :cool:

Did you find out which Mod was the problem?

What mods did you use?

Good for you! :cool:

Did you find out which Mod was the problem?

What mods did you use?

I've done it! It works now with all of my mods. The mod that caused the hassle was the toolbar mod.

I don't know why though - I updated it before, and it broke MJ. But if I added each mod one by one it works.

Kinda odd, but at least it works now!

Here's a list of the mods I use:

Toolbar

ActiveTextureManagement

B9

Kerbal beautification -City lights and clouds

Kerbal Engineer redux

Ferram

KAS

KerbalJointReinforcement

Kethane

Hyperedit

Kethane

KW

MJ2

TacFuelBalancer

RealChute

VNG parachutes

And the Interstellar mod!

It's obvious why it took me a good while to pinpoint why my Mj broke, but it was worth it!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.