REDDER: Mission to Duna

Maxilica

REDDER

piMiJ1F.png

PROLOGUE

It has been ten years since the greatest Solar flare of our time. It had disastrous consequences, wiping out the entire satellite network, leaving entire continents without power for weeks, and, worst of all, it created large radioactive belts around Kerbin (that people named "Van Kallen") meaning that until new science was researched, kerbalkind would be stuck in LKO.

So that's what they did. They sent unmanned probes to other worlds, collecting as much science as possible from Jool and its moons, Eve and Dres. Using this new science, they got more funds from the government to research better, more safer technologies. After a couple of months, they launched the core of the first geostationary space station: Qwetmee. Initially, the public was skeptical about the project, because it could endanger the crew and even them. Also, the letter "Kwuh" was abolished in 20 KD, so people were not sure how to pronounce the name. However, after a brief lecture on the letter "kwuh", the public began to like this new letter, eventually replacing the letter "c". Nowadays it is only used in writing old names and words borrowed from the Krussians.

And so, the core of Qwetmee was launched!

Y7YWJCW.png

It didn't go too well.

The second launch however, was a complete success! The bad news is that there are no on orbit photographs of Qwetmee. Shame, too... Looked quite nice.

The second module to be launched was an experimental scientific research lab.

ueOBjav.png

The third module was an observation module, to do !!!SCIENCE!!! with the Sun. It was nicknamed Oopsy, because that would be the first thing you'd say if you detected an incoming solar flare/storm. It was noted however that the crew would use much ruder words, but this was not taken into consideration when the module was given a designation.

KffD9EH.png

Qwetmee did OK, but one day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi35XQjFV_A

KERLORF: KSC, Kerlorf here. We have just woken up and we are receiving a ridiculously large amount of radiation. If we don't leave in the next half hour we're not going to make it!

KSC: Roger. Our sensors indicate that as well... Pack your stuff and get into the escape pod. Stand-by. We'll let you know if you are go for abort.

KERLORF: OK, I'll tell the crew. Guys! Pack you're things, we're leaving! We've gotta go now!

DOGEE: But Kerlorf! Look!

KERLORF: I don't have time now! Clean up your quarter! Fredvin, you do the same!

FREDVIN: But...

KERLORF: Shut up! If we stay here any longer we'll die!

DOGEE: But Kerlorf! We've got incoming debris!

KERLORF: Shu-- What?

DOGEE: I detected it as soon as I woke up. I looked out the window and saw some twinkling stars. And it's broad daylight outside.

KERLORF: Oh dammit... Will it impact?

DOGEE: It's too small and too far away, I can't run any calculations. But the chances ar---

FREDVIN: It already has. I went to the Science lab to get my research equipment but when I got there there was a two centimetre hole in the wall. That's how the radiation's getting in.

KERLORF: Qesus Krist! We're standing in its path... Wait. From where is this debris coming from?

DOGEE: I can't tell, but our best choice is from the Mim rescue mission.

FREDVIN: When Shepcal and the lads got stranded in Munar orbit?

DOGEE: Yup. But here's a question: why aren't the alarms doing anything?

KERLORF: Well, the radiation alarm is already going off, but the radiation level's so high that it's causing everything to cease function. So are the other alarms. Anyway, we're wasting air and time. Get to the escape pod!

Meanwhile, back on Kerbin...

SONNEY: It's too high. They're contaminated. We can't bring them back.

SHEPNEY: Pff... Kod... I just...

SONNEY: It's not your fault. They went up there knowing the risk that they might not come back.

SHEPNEY: What, so it's their fault that they went up there in the first place?!

SONNEY: Shep, calm down! This won't solve anything.

SHEPNEY: But what are we gonna tell them?

SONNEY: I don't know. I'll ask their status.

Sonney turns to the monitor and turns the radio on.

SONNEY: Qwetmee, Sonney here. What's your status?

DOGEE: Chaotic, to say the least. We've been hit by a piece of debris from what we assume to be from Mim, making a hole in the lab. We're not quite sure if the entire debris field will hit us, but better safe than sorry. Are we go for abort and re-entry?

SONNEY: Roger... Stand-by.

DOGEE: Oh come ON!

Sonney turns the radio off.

SONNEY: Did you hear that?

SHEPNEY: I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad.

SONNEY: It's the only thing to do.

Sonney turns on the intercom and his voice is heard across Mission Control.

SONNEY: Lads, I'd like a go-no go for abort.

The whole room spits out just two words:

ALL: NO GO!

SHEPNEY: There you have it. We have to tell them.

SONNEY: But how? How will we tell their families?

SHEPNEY: I'll contact the FSA (Federal Security Agency). You just tell them that it was a fun ride, but it must come to an end. Say that... I dunno! Just say the truth!

SONNEY: I think I know what to say.

Sonny turns the radio on.

SONNEY: Qwetmee this is KSC. We have some not-so-good news for you...

KERLORF: Oh Kod... How long have we got?? Tell my wife and kids I love them!! Oh Kod, oh Kod, oh Kod...

SONNEY: You are no-go for abort. The escape pod is already contaminated. Even if you were to leave now, you're still contaminated beyond cure. We're not sure if the debris field will hit you or not, but it won't matter. Kerlorf, I'm so sorry, but... You guys aren't going home.

Kerlorf started crying. Having heard him, Dogee and Fredvin stopped transporting supplies into the escape pod. They had understood why he was crying. Dogee spoke in a quiet voice:

DOGEE: Put Charon on the line. While you're at it put Jessika and Krystol on too.

Fredvin looked out the window. They had company. Oxygen was now down to 30%.

FREDVIN: KSC, this is Fredvin. Visual of the Mim debris field confirmed.

KERLORF: Hey KSC... Do we have permission to go out for a sneaky EVA? You know? 'Cos...

SONNEY: Be my guest.

The crew of Qwetmee smiled at each other.

They used explosive decompression to get out. They weren't exactly planning on going back inside.

KERLORF: I don't care...

Debris struck Qwetmee. Spinning at a phenomenal rate, pieces flung off of it into the distance.

Dogee was the first to go. He was hit by the remains of the science lab.

Kerlorf followed soon after. He was struck by the remains of a solar panel while looking at mother Kerbin.

Fredvin was the last one to leave. He saw his friends die and, knowing that comms were down, there was nobody to talk to. He shut his eyes, took a deep breath, after which he opened his helmet, killing him instantly.

Their bodies are still there to this very day, but with literally no chance of recovery. A national day of mourning was held the following day. The official reason though was just "DEBRIS STRIKE" and not because of radiation. Well, it wasn't technically a lie, because it was the debris strike that caused the radiation to get in. But still, the audio transcripts weren't published to keep the program going.

The Maxinimal Space Agency lost lives and money because of Qwetmee. They launched a little satellite (Qwetmee 2) to replace the station. They needed a comeback. They needed something big. They needed a manned mission to Duna. It was the only way to gain public interest. There were already plans for such a mission, but it involved nuclear reactors, and after the recent incident, it wasn't worth the risk. They came up with a mission that was around twice as big as Qwetmee, could land on Duna and Ike, and could leave a part of it in Duna orbit for a potential future space station. They came up with the most ambitious, expensive and impressive mission ever designed. They came up with Redder.

Edited by Maxilica
typo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.