Why does my rocket crash KSP?

Well, here's a fun problem, I am using 0.23.5 with ARM parts to try and build my next generation space station. When I launch my rocket it climbs to about 10km before the SRBs burn out and I ditch them. Then the 4x engine cluster runs out of fuel and I stage to ditch that.... and KSP hangs. Every time. No idea why, I've got a screenshot of the craft here, does anyone know what might be the problem?

screenshot120.png

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by photogineer

Try looking through KSP's log file and see if it says anything:

1. If you're using Steam, right-click on Kerbal Space Program, choose "Properties", then the "Local Files" tab, and click on the "Browse Local Files..." button.
  2. Otherwise, find your "Kerbal Space Program" directory.
  3. The main log file is located there, named "KSP.log", and should open easily with Notepad or your text editor of choice.

It looks like you're using the new extra-large decoupler. It has a few bugs, and causes Mac and Linux to crash (so I assume you're running one of those).

In either case, here's the fix.

New Decoupler (TR-38-D) causes crash when staging (linux/mac) or parts of the ship to follow around (windows) – [FIX]

When staging, the new decoupler (TR-38-D) causes a variety of problems depending on your operating system. This problem seems to be worse if struts are involved. Thanks to Kasuha, the problem was narrowed down to the physics of the decoupler and is easily fixed.

1) With a text editor (such as notepad) open up the part.cfg file for the TR-38-D. It should be located in KSP\GameData\NASAmission\Parts\Size3Decoupler\part.cfg

2) Find the line that says “PhysicsSignificance = 1†and change it to “PhysicsSignificance = 0â€Â

3) Save the file and restart KSP.

You can find other common 0.23.5 problems in this thread:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/77327-26Apr-0-23-5-Issues-Fix-Crashes-Decoupler-EVA-Career-Save-Won-t-Start-more

Good luck!! :D

It looks like you're using the new extra-large decoupler. It has a few bugs, and causes Mac and Linux to crash (so I assume you're running one of those).

In either case, here's the fix.

New Decoupler (TR-38-D) causes crash when staging (linux/mac) or parts of the ship to follow around (windows) – [FIX]

When staging, the new decoupler (TR-38-D) causes a variety of problems depending on your operating system. This problem seems to be worse if struts are involved. Thanks to Kasuha, the problem was narrowed down to the physics of the decoupler and is easily fixed.

1) With a text editor (such as notepad) open up the part.cfg file for the TR-38-D. It should be located in KSP\GameData\NASAmission\Parts\Size3Decoupler\part.cfg

2) Find the line that says “PhysicsSignificance = 1†and change it to “PhysicsSignificance = 0â€Â

3) Save the file and restart KSP.

You can find other common 0.23.5 problems in this thread:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/77327-26Apr-0-23-5-Issues-Fix-Crashes-Decoupler-EVA-Career-Save-Won-t-Start-more

Good luck!! :D

I will give this a shot! You're right, I'm on Mac. I can hear my PC friends laughing at me...!

Matt

I will give this a shot! You're right, I'm on Mac. I can hear my PC friends laughing at me...!

Matt

Oh no worries. Windows doesn't crash, but all that junk you just decoupled keeps following you around like a lost puppy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.