Sprawling Colonies

The Kerbal Association of Civilisation Help has collaborated with Ãœberkerbal Portage with the intention of expanding the Kerbal race. The project has been coined KACH-UP One, with Ãœberkerbal Portage hoping to advance transportation technology and range for the sake of productivity and tourism and the kerbonationally recognised Kerbal Association of Civilisation Help aiming to give the many nations on Kerbin that little push they need to branch out to the great black yonder - space. However, project cannot be completed without the assistance of a well-renowned space agency, of course. This is where you come in

You have been tasked to create a base on Mun.

The aim of this base is to house as many Kerbals as possible, with as many bonuses as possible. It will act as kerbalkind's first city out of Kerbin's atmosphere, with a bustling population of many Kerbals living in and visiting the area. Here are the requirements for the project:

• There must be a central structure for the town that includes a science centre (laboratory module) for any experiments that the citizens and workers acquire on the Mun.
  • A flag must be planted beneath the science centre and labelled "KACH-UP One". This flag is to be regarded as the centre of the base.
  • There must be a power station in the base with the capacity to store at least 100 units of energy per kerbal, alongside a base value of 2000 units for the essential services listed in these requirements, at all times. You may have as much excess energy as you wish.
  • There must be at least 3 kerbals within 2KM of the centre of the base at all times.
  • The base must be able to communicate with KSC at all times. This means that there must always be a part that can transmit data (such as a communotron) in a deployed state, and this module must have at least 1 kerbal inside at all times. Transmissions can be relayed over several satellites.
  • Though not all modules need to be connected, they must be within 20m of the nearest module if they are not connected directly.

All of the above are necessary to the base. If even a single one of these components are missing, the base is a failure. The following are extra bonuses:

• Kerbal inhabitants. (1pt)*
  • Unmanned land vehicles that can;
    • continue to travel at night, (1pt)*
    • and/or travel constantly without the need to stop and regain energy. (1pt)*
    • ​Drivable land vehicles - vehicles that require a kerbal in order to be active). (1pt)*

[*]​Non-surface transportation - vehicles that fly rather than drive (minimum capacity of 4 plus a driver (5 total)). (2pt)

[*]Garage/hangar. (2pt)*

[*]Hotels (minimum capacity of 12). (2pt)*(+1)

[*]Broadcasting tower (must include at least 3 communotrons) (3pt)

[*]Other structures. (Variable pt)

[*]Pioneering advancements (a bonus for building and sharing something that is not yet listed here). (5pt)

(<#>pt) = how many points are earned by the completion of this task (where <#> is the number of points).

* = per item in question (eg: "Kerbal inhabitants. (1pt)*" means that you receive one point per kerbal in the base.)

(+<#>) = Points per Kerbal that can be stored in the item at any given point in time (eg: "Hotels (minimum capacity of 12). (2pt)*(+1)" means that a user receives two points per hotel and one point per kerbal that can fit in the hotel.)

(Variable pt) = anything you have in the base that is not listed will be reviewed from screenshots and reported usability in order to determine how many points it is worth.

The base may expand to further than 2KM from the centre of the base, provided that there are at least 3 Kerbals within the 2KM range.

You can use as many mods as you like, given that you produce a list every mod you used in your submission.

Edited by Shna_na

I'm using this as an idea for what to do in my game, but I'm using tons of mods. Like Kethane, B9, KW, FAR, And a few others. Is that alright?

Sure thing, you can use as many mods as you like. Be sure to list all the mods that you use when you post your submission so that I can keep track though :).

I have done all of the required things for this mission, but with a twist. I did it all with 1 ship.

The Giant Command Center contains 8100 charge of battery, large enough solar panels to supply it with power, a large communications antenna and a science lab. 4 Kerbals can fit on this ship, so there is more than 3. I guess I killed all the birds with 1 stone.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I'll probably add more stuff to the base, you know, for point's sake.

EDIT: I added 2 more modules to the base to make it more versatile and useful. It acts as a refuel/recharge station for ships going to the Mun and back. The mods I used for the base (Though I have more) are KAS, NovaPunch, LackLusterLabs, KW Rocketry, Procedural Parts, and some other, smaller mods. There are 8 kerbals at the base currently.

http://imgur.com/a/iMN5O

Edited by JTG

So far:

32 Kerbal inhabitants

2 unmanned rovers that have 4030charge (unsure if they can travel all night)

1 rover cable of unmanned or manned operation that carries up to 4 Kerbals - also 4030charge and can upright itself if flipped over.

1 science lab

1 communications tower

3 light stations - 1 with fuel depot and docking gantry

Electrical Energy storage at main complex: 40390

Electrical Energy storage at light towers: 200330

Rocket fuel available for refueling: 1440 units

I use no mods, so building a hangar/garage isn't happening.

http://www.sidnaw.org/kerbal/

I have done all of the required things for this mission, but with a twist. I did it all with 1 ship.

The Giant Command Center contains 8100 charge of battery, large enough solar panels to supply it with power, a large communications antenna and a science lab. 4 Kerbals can fit on this ship, so there is more than 3. I guess I killed all the birds with 1 stone.

-snip-

I'll probably add more stuff to the base, you know, for point's sake.

Great! Be sure to list all the mods you used when you post the next update of your base (just added this to the OP).

So far:

32 Kerbal inhabitants

2 unmanned rovers that have 4030charge (unsure if they can travel all night)

1 rover cable of unmanned or manned operation that carries up to 4 Kerbals - also 4030charge and can upright itself if flipped over.

1 science lab

1 communications tower

3 light stations - 1 with fuel depot and docking gantry

Electrical Energy storage at main complex: 40390

Electrical Energy storage at light towers: 200330

Rocket fuel available for refueling: 1440 units

I use no mods, so building a hangar/garage isn't happening.

http://www.sidnaw.org/kerbal/

Woah. Impressive. The issue I have is that the modules are more than 20m away from each other. You don't need to move them, you could just put some kind of tunnel (out of fuselages) between each and then fill in the rest later if you so wish.

With regards to the hangar/garage, I refer you to

. Structural panels can do just about anything :wink:. Edited by Shna_na

Yeah, the reason those modules are 200m away is because that is about the distance I found to be good for the light stacks to be away so the habitation complex isn't blindingly red, green, white, or whatever other color lights there are - and I even knocked them down to 50% intensity.

And structural panels never work for me. I wish they had a good "edge snap" to them. Anything I try to build with them looks like Picasso was the architect.

Edited by EdFred

Yeah, the reason those modules are 200m away is because that is about the distance I found to be good for the light stacks to be away so the habitation complex isn't blindingly red, green, white, or whatever other color lights there are - and I even knocked them down to 50% intensity.

That's fine, but you can probably just tube them to/near each other. You could make a long pipe of fuselages, put docking ports on either side, copy it, and put 8 of them around the edge on decouplers. That should do the trick.

And structural panels never work for me. I wish they had a good "edge snap" to them. Anything I try to build with them looks like Picasso was the architect.

I know them feels. Try it in the SPH and use other structural parts. I was never any good with them but gave myself a project that helped me learn to use them better

SSmq5Fm.png

oPt8yUj.png

8WEkslv.png

cqYFCr1.png

u9HTO8B.png

HZ2ZHg2.png

xNvzNE0.png

0HQSpeN.png

YGNOnoT.png

vPjnD1V.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.