Rotating apoapsis ?

Hello !

Do you know if is possible to rotate the apoapsis of an orbit with an high eccentricity (That is, apopsis is at 90° from earth and move it a few degrees East or West) ?

(I mean, apart from making it circular, and firing when opposite of the place that I want to turn into apoapsis)

Hmm, it might more efficient in terms of fuel if done close to periapsis...

The idea of 'vertical' is good though. I have done some tests :

- when close to periapsis (but not right there) and firing perpendicular to the trajectory I could push the apoapsis opposit of me if thrusting toward the inside (inward ?) of the orbit (brown side of the ball in front)

- I could have the apoapsis come closer to me when thrusting toward the outside.

I don\'t really know how efficient it is in terms of fuel... and what the optimum would be (toward the planet, perpendicular of the orbit, toward the center of the orbit ? How far from periapsis...)

I had tried that close to the Mun. It mainly grew the apoapsis instead of turning it (And I ended orbiting the sun...). I feel that vertical or perpendicular to the trajectory is the key (unless making the orbit circular is more efficient... )

Yup, to purely rotate an apoapsis you burn radially (in at periapsis for greatest efficiency, or out at apoapsis) so your craft remains at a constant distance and angular velocity until you\'re at the desired angle. You could think of it as 'hovering' and 'pausing' your orbit while you rotate.

This is incredibly fuel-hungry - assuming a LKO periapsis, you could need to burn for up to a half hour worst case!

Hmm. I see the principle : at periapsis, it would behave as if we are orbiting, but a much greater speed than the attraction would allow. So we need to compensate g with thrust.

That would be very expensive indeed. I suspect that the 'solution' I tried were more efficient in terms of fuel, but worked in growing the apoapsis roughly in the direction I wanted. I can\'t try again though : I am away from my Kerbal able computer for a month or so...

Radial burning is efficient only for moving apoapsis by several degrees (as asked in OP). It costs (delta v)=2*(vertical velocity) - you just change your vertical velocity to opposite therefore moving apoapoapsis to the other side of you.