Information regarding items and what they do.

Hi.

Is there a thread on this forum giving an explanation of all the items in the game?

Some of the items even though there is a description in the game i dont quite know how to use them.

Any help is appreciated.

Some of the items even though there is a description in the game i dont quite know how to use them.

No problem, just tell us which things do you find confusing and we'll explain.

Ok i have a couple of questions...

What is the inline reaction wheel used for and where do i place it?

What is the advanced SAS Module used for and were do i place it?

Thanks

Thanks

You can place those anywhere, and they provide torque for turning your ship. They are there as placeholders since pre-0.21.1, when the type of SAS unit mattered.

Thanks

Like KvickFlygarn87 said, you can place them pretty much anywhere and they help turn your ship. However, you'll usually want to place them on a fairly sturdy part of your craft so they don't rip pieces off.

The reaction wheel and advanced SAS module now basically have the same functionality. They used to act differently, but now the only difference is their weight and appearance.

So if i place either of these on a rocket they will help with turning with SAS or Without SAS on?

Both. You'll rotate and turn faster no matter what. One SAS unit on a ship is plenty, unless you're building an ungodly large launch stage. Then you may want more.

I generally go a little overkill on reaction wheels on my early stages, often one on the top of each radial engine stack so up to 8. I then have an additional wheel in my lower stage, then for my upper stage (or stages) I just rely on pod torque.

Turn SAS OFF when turning, ON to stabilise. If you leave it turned on while trying to turn it will keep trying to fight you!

I don't think that's the case since the SAS overhaul. When entering a manual input with it engaged, the icon on the indicator light changes and it resets to wherever you're pointing when you release the controls. Kinda makes the F key irrelevant, too.

SAS (Stability Augmentation System, Spin Auto-Stabilizer, or Sickness Avoidance Solution) is a function that keeps your ship from spinning when you're not pressing any controls. Most of the time it's better to have it on. SAS function is provided by all command pods and probe cores. Parts which are called ASAS, IAS, or IRW just provide torque - i.e. they allow you to apply more force when rotating your ship. Either when the SAS function is using torque to keep your ship stable, or when you're pressing WASDQE keys to turn the ship.

The SAS function used to be provided by two of these parts, but that's not the case anymore. They just keep their original and now misleading names.

I don't think that's the case since the SAS overhaul. When entering a manual input with it engaged, the icon on the indicator light changes and it resets to wherever you're pointing when you release the controls. Kinda makes the F key irrelevant, too.

This is correct. But the advantage of turning SAS off is that you won't continue to draw electricity while turning. Just like RCS, you can get the turn started, then stop providing input. If SAS is ON, the ship will try to stop moving as soon as you stop giving input, which is fine if you aren't concerned with electricity.

This was the major problem I had when I started this game - the whole "what does this part do?".

My best recommendation is to try career mode, the limited choices initially will ensure you learn each part.

Isn't it also considered a good idea to place the SAS / reaction wheel modules closer to the center of mass of the ship? At least I figured you get more bang for your gram that way.

The best idea is to place them evenly throughout the mass of your ship. That minimizes strain and bending.

Isn't it also considered a good idea to place the SAS / reaction wheel modules closer to the center of mass of the ship? At least I figured you get more bang for your gram that way.

Usually sticking 1 near the center works great for small stuff. Or in larger craft i try and stick them all equidistant from the CoM.

On a side note in this case. I prefer the old asas mods int that config. Because they look better with rcs blocks mounted on the white parts. Just a preference tho

For torque modules, the distance from the CoM is irrelevant in terms of how well the torque will work.

The biggest consideration is as Kasuha pointed out. You want to place them in such a way as to minimize the stress in the particular craft. If you put too many on a part that has a weak joint, the bending will simply snap the piece off.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.