speed governor

I would love to have speed limiter for wheeled vehicles. best would be just a bar like fuel amount or the color settings for the lights, same for wheels just max speed in 0.5 steps from 0.5 (i'd like to run my working machinery on this low speed on mun) - 50 (might be lower, higher, i have no idea)

Hmm... Interesting. I think it could be possible to engineer your battery supply to run out at a certain speed so you couldn't rise above it... Kinda suicidal, though. XD

it sounds cool, but i dont want autopilot, i want to work with those trucks on the mun, but its difficult to keep them going that slow, if i press the forward they jump like dragsters. (small truck big wheels). it would be neat just to have the option setting a max speed it can go with so if i press the forward for half an hour it will still go max with that speed instead of accelerating madly

it sounds cool, but i dont want autopilot, i want to work with those trucks on the mun, but its difficult to keep them going that slow, if i press the forward they jump like dragsters. (small truck big wheels). it would be neat just to have the option setting a max speed it can go with so if i press the forward for half an hour it will still go max with that speed instead of accelerating madly

Have you tried turning some of the Wheels motors off? In think your top speed will stay the same, but your acceleration goes down the drain, which you reduce the torque generated from acceleration a lot; just have the front 2 wheels running (this also means that if the front of the vehicle lifts off, the acceleration stops as the driving wheels leave the ground.)

Its not a bad idea though, i'd support it!

You do realize you can just use the speed option and do everything else yourself?

You do realize you can just use the speed option and do everything else yourself?

no. what you've said means there is a rover autopilot which has an option to set up the speed it will drive your rover... but it doesnt mean it will limit the speed when i drive it manually. however if you say it does, it might worth a shot. still it would be nice in vanilla.

You can use the trim function, shift+WASDQE, to set a sort of "cruise control" for your rovers. Saves having to hold down the key on long drives and might make controlled low-speed travel practical. Shift+X resets trim to neutral.

You can use the trim function, shift+WASDQE, to set a sort of "cruise control" for your rovers. Saves having to hold down the key on long drives and might make controlled low-speed travel practical. Shift+X resets trim to neutral.

I have often wished for something along the lines of what the original poster is describing. I believe Tuareg is wanting a throttle type control for his rovers and your suggestion is the closest I have seen, if not the solution itself. Thank you! I'll have to remember this the next time I want to test a rover.

I have often wished for something along the lines of what the original poster is describing. I believe Tuareg is wanting a throttle type control for his rovers and your suggestion is the closest I have seen, if not the solution itself. Thank you! I'll have to remember this the next time I want to test a rover.

nope. the problem is that i dont need cruise control. i love to make my kerbals flying in their supersafe rover (last time i made them jumping into a crater with 50m/s, first i thought they will be set on orbit lol, and they survived the landing with just breaking 2-3 wheels).

what i would need is to make my workmachines, which are rolling between my buildings, have to dock in bays and so, to go very slow, so they dont jump, dont break the solar panels etc... sure, i can do it with repeatedly pressing the forward for very short times, but its an ugly solution.. i need something like precision control for spacecrafts

... i need something like precision control for spacecrafts

Or perhaps a right click menu with a slider like the engines have for thrust limiting, except for the wheels where you set the max speed. I wonder how easily this could be implemented... It can't be too hard since the developers could possibly just cut and paste much of the code they used for the engine's right click menu. Maybe a modder could take a crack at this and make something to suit. (*hint, hint* to any modders reading this)

If your rover was simply popping wheelies and flipping over, I'd say try lengthening the chassis, redistributing the weight forward, or both. Another possible solution is to use Lack Luster Labs. It has counter weights in the control category (anywhere from 0.5T to 10T) for tackling just such a problem. This might not apply to your problem, but good to know anyway.

One thing to keep an eye on that might be an alternate solution is the caterpillar tracks mod that is currently getting an overhaul. I've used these before in a previous version of KSP (0.22? 0.23?) and they can go rrreeeeeaaaallllyyyy slow.

Or perhaps a right click menu with a slider like the engines have for thrust limiting, except for the wheels where you set the max speed. << yes, this was my original thought too. it would be easy and great

I wonder how easily this could be implemented... It can't be too hard since the developers could possibly just cut and paste much of the code they used for the engine's right click menu. Maybe a modder could take a crack at this and make something to suit. (*hint, hint* to any modders reading this)

If your rover was simply popping wheelies and flipping over, I'd say try lengthening the chassis, redistributing the weight forward, or both. Another possible solution is to use Lack Luster Labs. It has counter weights in the control category (anywhere from 0.5T to 10T) for tackling just such a problem. This might not apply to your problem, but good to know anyway.

One thing to keep an eye on that might be an alternate solution is the caterpillar tracks mod that is currently getting an overhaul. I've used these before in a previous version of KSP (0.22? 0.23?) and they can go rrreeeeeaaaallllyyyy slow.

<< i might check these tracks, this sounds good, i just hate mods... with the next patch they will just break my savegames :/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.