The Grandest of Grand Tours - All the science!

So, after I completed my first Grand Tour, I got to thinking that it could have been done better. I could have had a lighter ship, a single launch, I made plenty of little errors along the way, but most importantly, I missed (or had already collected) so much science!

So I thought to myself, well, that just won't do! I set about making a new account, and have decided to make a more robust challenge for myself yet! While I do not intend to simultaneously complete the Jebediah level Ultimate Jool-5 challenge, I may end up doing so based on convenience. The real goal of this mission will be to complete a Grand Tour and suck the Kerbol system dry of ALL of its science. I want to start out with a full tech tree, and then see how much science there is left to be had in the Kerbol System, returning the largest science score in a vanilla (well, I will be using Mechjeb) version of the game.

So, mission parameters as they currently exist:

• Extract ALL the science from Kerbin that can be achieved without leaving "high in space over Kerbin".
  • If that is not enough to complete the tech tree (which I almost certainly believe it is not), then move on to the Mun, leaving at least one biome untapped.
  • If I still do not have a full tech tree, repeat the process for Mun at Minimus.
  • When the full tech tree is unlocked, create a vast network of space stations that will service each planet to serve as a base of operations while extracting science from the planets and moons (including some rather interesting probing of Jool). Many Kerbals will work in tandem to extract ALL the science from a celestial body and move it to a convenient location for pick-up.
  • Once all the science has been collected, KASA supervisor Jebediah (and possibly a few assistants to qualify for the Jool-5 challenge) will visit each celestial body, boots firmly planted on the soil, to retrieve the data and guarantee its safe journey home.

More to come as I continue putting this work together!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.