Fully reusable 2-stages DH-1 in variations

Let me introduce several crafts inspired by DH-1 rocket concept. In brief it fully reusable 2 stages system: first stage flying vertically and deliver out of atmosphere second stage, then first stage land back to launchpad with help from jet engines. Second stage accelerate only horizontally and reach low Earth orbit. After payload delivering second stage land back to runway on parawing (see detail in Wiki).

Here is my realization of Mun round-trip ship

pq0mWiXl.jpg

Here is concept picture

0lGxRiwh.jpg

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Variants of crafts:

1. 4 passengers+pilot - This craft has ~1300 m/s dV on LKO, can reach Mun/Minmus orbit and dock with station (theoretically can reach Dune/Eve orbit). After refueling craft has 3500 m/s dv and can make Dune round-trip if you have goo piloting skills. 4 passengers craft
  2. 2 passengers+pilot - This craft has ~2000 m/s dV on LKO, can make Minmus round-trip or reach Mun orbit and dock with station, then return back to Kerbin without refueling. After refueling craft has 4056 m/s dv and can easy make Dune round-trip. 2 passengers craft
  3. Mun round-trip ship - can make comfort flight for 1 kerbal to Mun and back in Apollo style. Mun ship
  4. Cargo ship - can deliver to LKO up to ~9t of payload.
    Craft with using of Procedural Fairings mod - Cargo ship PF
    Stock only craft

All crafts in one file

• 3 weeks later...

Nice vehicle- but I can't help but feel it only gets most of the performance it does due to the use of the (extremely, unrealistically OP'd) jet engines... Try building that without jet engines, or with Advanced Jet Engines mod (which nerfs jet engines to realistic levels for 1970's technology... Which is better in some ways than having jet engines far more powerful than anything that could theoretically ever exist...), and see how it fares...

If you can do it without jet engines, I'll be impressed.

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

This looks great. :D It is a lot of clipping, but I think you did a pretty good job using the ADTP. Like Umami, I loke the look of a 4x 909 cluster tucked up against a rocket.

Nice vehicle- but I can't help but feel it only gets most of the performance it does due to the use of the (extremely, unrealistically OP'd) jet engines... Try building that without jet engines, or with Advanced Jet Engines mod (which nerfs jet engines to realistic levels for 1970's technology... Which is better in some ways than having jet engines far more powerful than anything that could theoretically ever exist...), and see how it fares...

If you can do it without jet engines, I'll be impressed

It is not so big problem, adding 3 more aerospikes, replacing turbo jets by basic jets (only for landing purposes, like original design), adding one more big tank and finally, it can fly almost with same effectiveness.

See picture, not so elegant like precursor, but it is flying, 24t more on launchpad - totally 106t

RAhpX6U.png

Thanks, GusTurbo, i also love final result for second stages for this series :), it is very high density packing (like russian space tug Briz-M) and no unphysical clipping. I intersected almost only construction details with functional details (like tanks, engines and so on)

It is not so big problem, adding 3 more aerospikes, replacing turbo jets by basic jets (only for landing purposes, like original design), adding one more big tank and finally, it can fly almost with same effectiveness.

See picture, not so elegant like precursor, but it is flying, 24t more on launchpad - totally 106t

http://i.imgur.com/RAhpX6U.png

I'm impressed... :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.