Is there actually ANY way to speed up ksp?

On top of all that has been said, I find that rigidity of structures also is an issue: bending, flapping &c translates directly into lag. In some (few) cases I could actually improve lag by adding MOAR STRUTS. Most pronounced when the dangly bits were big bundles of strapped-on jet engines -- presumably because the constantly-changing direction of thrust had ramifications throughout all parts of the vessel.

On my box, 400-part rockets usually give me no lag and even 500 parts may work, depending on design. However, huge planes (lots of wings flapping & bending in the wind) become distinctly laggy at 300 and quite unbearable at 400.

I don't think it's caused by wobbling as that's the matter of physics, to evaluate how much stress is on each connection and how much bent it is by these stresses. Wings come with lift calculations which are not done on other parts, so simulation of wings is slowed down by that.

If it's about performance thus the amount of fps while gaming with large ships with large part counts then you want to get the best of cpus.

Just buy the best cpu out there. By the (best) i mean in price/quality ratio.

If you have a old platform (meaning a motherboard of let's say 5+ years or older) you won't find high quality cpus for KSP.

And you'll be forced to upgrade with a new motherboard, very likely new ram memory, thus a new quality processor itself and again very likely a new power supply. If it's a dell, packard bell or any other business pre build computer systems you actually can't upgrade (meaning you need a new computer altogether)

If you buy a new cpu it's always gonna be multicore. Most likely quadcore. A i5 ivy bridge. Or i5 haswell (more expensive but is more energy efficient) Some people swear by I7. But I can't follow those guys as the benefits of I7 over I5 are not apparent in videogaming but for that 1% difference which costs you several hundred bucks more as it requires a expensive platform to run I7 cpus. If somebody tells you to buy I7 for getting 1% better gaming speed then that's extreme tweaker enthusiast talk.

With that new cpu I would go online and read about overclocking and go test on overclocking. I have a i5 3570k that runs stock at 3.4ghz. But with overclocking and a good chip cooler I squeezed it to a 24/7 stable run of 4.59ghz and framerates on all the cpu intensive games I play are difinitely higher and smoother.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.