Kommunity input for future updates

Our Kommunity Manager Rowsdower is in the unique position of having close access to the devs, and having a good take on the kommunity pulse here in the forums. I would like to suggest that after an update (during Squads well earned quad-annual post-update vacation) our KM start a poll.

This poll would have a few dev-approved items on it, such as small fixes or additions that they want to get done, but never have time to, and things that are not the main goal of the next update.

Possible poll topics might include getting around to fixing certain IVA views, a toggleable radar altimeter mode, ect. things that can be thrown into a larger update, without devouring alot their precious resources/time. Im sure Squad has a laundry list of small things like that they could give to our KM.

This would give a more visible kommunity/dev relationship, seeing some of our decisions make it into an update.

I would elect Rowsdower for this as he is clearly the man for that job.

Thoughts?

Yes, a dev approved poll would be nice, doesn't have to be major features, just little stuff even. But only stuff the devs are willing to work on. It's a good idea I'm all for it.

yeah my thinking is, every update theres something that needs refining, but is forgotten as they move on. like the iva for the lab (or the iva for the other cockpits that were in an update long before my time here). over time this list grows, but doesnt seem to shrink much,as they add more new content.

they have a list of that somewhere, AND WE WANTS IT, YES PRECIOUS, WE WANTS IT arton11012-d388d.jpg

Not wanting to start a duplicate discussion, but I think over the next couple of updates past 0.24 there might be a lot more polishing with career getting wrapped up.

IT'S OURSES, WE MUST HAVES ITS

i like the idea, since it would be dev-approved toppics.

i hope you have cleared his before with Rowsdower beforehand. if the dev/Rowsdower declines this idea for whatever reason lot of ppl would be dissapointed or angry and statments "See!! they are ignoring the comunity" will Pop up.

i like the idea, since it would be dev-approved toppics.

i hope you have cleared his before with Rowsdower beforehand. if the dev/Rowsdower declines this idea for whatever reason lot of ppl would be dissapointed or angry and statments "See!! they are ignoring the comunity" will Pop up.

oh crap, that was not the intention in the least... ;.;

ive always been in the "its their game/they can ignore us if they want" crowd so that outcome hadn't even crossed my mind

SORRY ROWSDOWER

Edit: i had literaly just messaged him about the forum shutdown too :/

Edited by r4pt0r

oh crap, that was not the intention in the least... ;.;

ive always been in the "its their game/they can ignore us if they want" crowd so that outcome hadn't even crossed my mind

SORRY ROWSDOWER

Edit: i had literaly just messaged him about the forum shutdown too :/

with no offence, noone can see all outcomes, since they strive to achieve their 'ideal' Vision and it would only improving the current status.

what i find totally wrong, is not even trying to look from a other Point of view.

i am in the "its their game/they can ignore us if they want" crowd too, since they have to the WORK. if you do something for fun ist fun, but if you do it as work it can easly be ... well ... work. with work a lot so resposibliltys kick in. doing it for fun doesn't has them and that is a big difference. i like it that they decided to look at ideas/concepts brought to them from others, but that doesn't force them to take them into their game/work.

so i will wait what the game Looks like when finished, and THEN i look for mods that bring in what i think it lacks.

i just figured they have quite a list of small things they want fixed/revamped and prioritizing them via a dev approved poll, and then using that poll data for the next update would be nice for us.

I don't think it's a good idea to let players vote on what should be in the next release. Of course it would mean no immediate harm if they got to vote on things that are insignificant but then they would start asking for more. And honestly, public poll is the worst method to develop software. And besides, it may make devs feel being forced to implement things they don't feel like implementing at the moment.

Let's remember devs are listening to us. There are numerous things that pass forums and then get actually implemented. Some of them are even implemented in a way more comfortable way than originally suggested. But the final vote should always be up to the devs.

Any voluntary unregulated online poll is utter garbage. The results are not trustworthy for a large number of reasons. It's not a good way to decide anything important.

One of the biggest ways a voluntary online poll has useless results is NOT security risks or double-voting or anything illicit or dishonest. It's just the simple sampling bias of visibility and participation. You get a massive skew in the results because not everybody *sees* that it exists in the first place. The factors that can cause one person to notice the poll exists while another is ignorant of its presence are strongly tied to social and behavioral indicators that affect which way they'd vote if they did participate. One strong effect is that you tend to get a higher percentage of disgruntled people than in the general population because someone disgruntled is a lot more likely to vote. Any poll in which one of the options is "I'm happy like it is - don't change anything" is suspect because someone who thinks that is far less likely to vote in the poll. Another strong effect is that you tend to get a very misrepresented lower than accurate percentage of people who prefer casual play. The more likely someone is to prefer casual play, the more likely they are to just play the game on their own without needing to be part of its "community". They won't even visit the forums for the game.

Online polls do *NOT* give the devs an accurate picture of what the customer base really wants.

The Devs already do an awesome job, and are always passively listening in to our discussions. I'm not sure if anything discussed on the forums has had major effects, like affecting an entire update, but occasional tweaks and things like that are usually the result of our chit-chatting away.

Directly voting on the ideas definitely wouldn't help out the development process much, and this being an early-access game means that the developers have graciously allowed us a sneak peek at the process itself, which is something not many games allow you to do. People are (usually) content with the new CoD releases, for example, despite having next to nothing to do with the development process.

So the thing to keep in mind is that this is the dev's game, not ours, and we should respect their decisions rather than try to push our own agendas, especially considering that player input does have an effect on the game anyway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.