How did you start your KSP learning curve?

nobbers12345

I saw it on steam and didn't put much thought into it. But I like to watch Let's Plays so I watched a youtube of a guy doing it and thought, hmmm, seems cool. And I went ahead and bought it. I sucked at first and looked at a youtube of someone orbiting. So, I knew that even though I watched someone else do it, that is different than actually doing it, so it was still hard to do. I managed an orbit, then managed an orbit around the Mun and Minimus, but I needed to watch youtube for pointers,purposely staying away from landings because I wanted to do it for myself.

I did manage to land once on the Mun and come back, without watching how to do it. But, it was very hit and miss and did about 10-12 more tries before I finally watched a video on how to do it and realized all the mistakes I was making.

I'm sort of on a break right now, but I plan on trying to get to Eve or Duna at some point. I have 3 I think astronauts in some kind of suspended orbits. Stranded. I'll eventually save them I guess.

I had heard about it through a friend, and while it sounded cool, it took a quiet afternoon almost a year later for me to look it up. I downloaded the demo and was hooked pretty much instantly. I took a space exploration class the year before, so I knew most of the basics, and just needed to learn to apply those to the in-game environment. It took me an hour to into orbit, and had landed on the Mun by the end of the weekend. After that, I bought the full version (Which I think had just switched to 0.23 the week before). Now I've made it to every body in the system, and I'm still hooked.

A friend told me about it just a couple days after the first free version was released, 0.8 I think it was.

Back then there was nothing really to do but see how high you could go, or try to get into a stable orbit (with no map view or info, just your speed/altitude), which I did. The learning curve from there was at the speed of the updates. When the Mun was added, when the planets were added, etc.

I found out because a friend posted pictures of it on Facebook and I was intrigued.

The very start of my learning curve was standing on the launch pad with my simple rocket and mashing buttons to see what would happen. It was great fun and resulted in unplanned rocket activation, which made me victory pump until I realised I got the staging backwards (I thought 0 was the first stage, etc.). Parachutes deploying on launch, things toppling over instantly, the works.

After that lots of hilarious explosions and mishaps and shoddy rockets which got progressively better.

Sometimes I long back to the time where I didn't really know how to do things :( It was socool getting to the Mun for the first time ...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.