Kethane and Fuellines

Damn!

The mission progressed so well...

Brought a scienceprobe, a lander a cruiser that I could actually set down on the surface and a kethane rover.

And now, when I want to start refueling the cruiser (short on fuel as always with Moho), I find out I can't, because there are no fuel lines between the converter and the tanks (radially attached).

So, this mission - as so many before with Moho - needs a rescue mission. Because without the kethane rover there is not enough fuel.

Or does it?

Well, it does anyway, because on that mission, I did not bring any KAS-pipes. So I can't even try that. Not sure it even works. But would be worth a shot.

I do - however - have three rovers of the same type on their way to Jool. And on that mission, I have the KAS-pipes.

Does anyone know if those rovers are space junk or if I can fix that problem with KAS-pipes? Will test....

You don't need and fuel lines to transfer fuel. Right-click on one tank, Alt+right-click on the other tank. Then use the In/Out/Stop buttons to transfer whatever you need.

To transfer fuel between two different ships, you need to dock them together first.

Worse come to worse, you could try tac fuel balancer. Tho, there is no glory without risk! Take one of those rovers over and try your KAS pipes! If I'm not mistaken, the newest version of KAS does fuel transfer with the pipes. Don't quote me tho, I never tried it!

Edit: I always forget about the alt+click......*sigh* Thanks for the reminder Kasuha!

You don't need and fuel lines to transfer fuel.

You misunderstood me. But I was hoping for you, since until now, you always had the right answer.

The problem is that I do not have fuel. I have kethane. But the fuel tanks that the kethane converter is supposed to fill are not directly attached to the converter via fuel lines and are not getting filled.

If I could connect just one to the converter, I could transfer fuel just fine. But I do not have fuel.

To show you the problem:

screenshot1202.png

This is the cruiser and it has little more than fumes in the tanks.

Beneath it is the kethane rover I brought with me.

screenshot1206.png

As you can see, the converter is on top with the kethane tank below. And the four fuel tanks radially attached.

But no fuel lines from the converter to the tanks. So no fuel production....

P.S.: And before you ask: The RCS-tank is empty, since I thought about refueling capabilities for monopropellant as well. But what I did not anticipate was that radial fuel tanks with no direct connections get no feed from the converter.

Oh well... RTFM, I guess.

Edited by Tokay Gris

Ah, I see. Sorry I misunderstood your problem. I don't have experience with the Kethane mod as well.

I guess the easiest thing to do might be using KAS and sending an automated repair mission with some fuel lines.

I guess the easiest thing to do might be using KAS and sending an automated repair mission with some fuel lines.

That is something I will have to do for that mission.

Since I arrived at Moho with barely enough fuel for the return but wasted it on landing the cruiser, there is no other way.

But maybe I can save the other missions. That should teach me to RTFM....

Thanks anyway!

I am not entire sure, but I do believe that putting a KAS fuel line between the converter unit and the engines should fix it.

Also, you could put a fuel line directly between the converter and the lander.

If you want to be sure, it should be easy to test if you send a similar design to a Mun Kethane deposit. That doesn't take very long

For any future designs, remember that regular (1 way) fuel lines need to be mounted in reverse when it comes to Kethane.

This is because the way that converter works. In the code, it works like an engine that consumes a negative amount of fuel. So the fuel lines have to go FROM the fueltank TO the converter

You can put a KAS line between the kethane rover and the lander and then it will be able to refuel the lander with the converter. You may have to put the line between the middle stack and the lander.

So basically you can't even create fuel because there isn't even a normal fuel tank in it's stack? If you want to kind of cheat, I think in the kethane plus packs that there is one that adds some fuel capacity to the converter itself (assuming you don't want to do the parts editing yourself).

Oh wait, don't you have normal fuel lines between the nuclear engines and the main tank on your lander. You can take one of those off on EVA and attach it between a radial tank and your converter (going FROM the radial tank TO the converter) and then you can refuel it all.

You can take one of those off on EVA and attach it between a radial tank and your converter (going FROM the radial tank TO the converter) and then you can refuel it all.

Wait. What? You can take existing fuel lines and rearrange them on EVA?

Trying that right now! That could actually safe the day!

Later: No, that does not seem to work. I can't pick that fuel line up.

Edited by Tokay Gris

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.