Coin Flip Experiment

gamowin

Did your coin land heads or tails?  

1. 1. Did your coin land heads or tails?

• Heads
    • Tails

Is it really that hard to flip a coin?

No. And that is not the point. What I meant was that we know what the result should be, give or take. If it deviates too much, changes are higher that KSP players cannot be trusted in a poll than that we really generated a weird result.

• 10 months later...
My British Pound coin minted in 1995 with a Welsh Dragon design landed on heads. I hope this has been valuable data for your experiment.

Thread_Necromancy_3038.jpg

Last post before you was nearly 3/4th of a year ago :P

Anyway, tails here.

Which pretty much proves this isn't actually being done at random. Chance of that is less than 8%.

Actually, it reaching it at some (arbitrary, non-fixed!) point in time is 100%. And the latter is probably what is happening when someone reports on it.

It wasn't 50-50 as in 50%, it was 50 heads 50 tails.

Ah, ok, didn't realise that.

But while I also think that this is heavily biased (assuming that the 100th person tries to achieve 50-50 makes it more likely by a factor of two; but many might not even look at the result before voting) and even caused by that bias, I wouldn't necessarily dismiss the 50-50 as a result of only that; at least not completely. It is probably enough to happen at pure chance after all, plus we would probably wonder the same about 100-100 and such; if there are "enough" numbers we consider nice/interesting, then the chance for this to happen is still 1.

Actually, some coins are weighted for a particular side. We should specify which coin type is being used...

It won't matter if the coins of the world are fair on average; it is not necessary that each single coin is fair.

It won't matter if the coins of the world are fair on average; it is not necessary that each single coin is fair.

It also depends on size, and the actual person flipping, how it's flipped, etc.

If a robot flipped an equally weighted coin 100 times, the results may still not be 50-50.

Btw, the weighting means that a certain side is more likely, changing the results a bit.

http://s20.postimg.org/ckt5bsdx9/Thread_Necromancy_3038.jpg

Last post before you was nearly 3/4th of a year ago :P

Anyway, tails here.

Hah, oops. I had searched for "Flip" to figure out why my rocket was flipping, must have left the window open, came back and assumed this was in the current "Science Labs" forum.

Big surge for tails since I voted. I call shenanigans!

It also depends on size, and the actual person flipping, how it's flipped, etc.

If a robot flipped an equally weighted coin 100 times, the results may still not be 50-50.

Btw, the weighting means that a certain side is more likely, changing the results a bit.

I think you are completely missing my point. My point is/was: however unfair a certain coin is, it will probably still average out because there are many types of coins. Restricting the type of coin will probably make it more, not less, biased.

Altogether there is not much reason to assume that coins of all types somehow (dis)favour heads. Any specific coin may, but a random one probably won't.

I think you are completely missing my point. My point is/was: however unfair a certain coin is, it will probably still average out because there are many types of coins. Restricting the type of coin will probably make it more, not less, biased.

Altogether there is not much reason to assume that coins of all types somehow (dis)favour heads. Any specific coin may, but a random one probably won't.

It depends on what's called "heads". Sometimes the difference is tiny...

It might average out, if there are enough instances.

Restricting the type would allow for a better analysis of the probability. Sure, it introduces bias, but at least it would be known what the bias is for the coin in question.

In either case, our data doesn't show any deviation from fair coin. At 125 tosses, expectation is at 62.5 ± 5.6 heads. We're at 59, which is slightly over half sigma off. p > 0.62 is not what I'd call suspect. Maybe with more data.

Restricting the type would allow for a better analysis of the probability. Sure, it introduces bias, but at least it would be known what the bias is for the coin in question.

Even for a heavily biased coin like the one linked above, you would need much more experiments to verify that (assuming people are actually flipping a coin and not making up results). And fixing the coin would probably exclude a majority of people not having access to that specific coin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.