Trouble with jetpack not working during EVA

Due to an emergency (or shall we call it a fuel blunder?), I've been forced to use multiple EVA's and push on my capsule's back end with Jebediah and his handy jetpack to slow my capsule down and get back to Kerbin.

When I exit the capsule and am on the ladder, a simple press of the "R" key is supposed to toggle the jetpack. However, it doesn't always work for me and I can't find any reports of this problem or solutions. I've been trying a mixed bag of tricks - returning to the Space Center, then double clicking on my ship to return to it... and using Alt-F5 quicksaves. Both of these methods have allowed a non-working "R" key to suddenly re-enable itself, but it is intermittent and seemingly random. I'm kind of at wits end here with this. Sometimes the R key works, and sometimes it doesn't. I have to enter the capsule to refill my jetpack fuel over and over, but when I exit the capsule, the R key usually doesn't work until I try these random things to solve it. Caps lock key is off, can't think of anything else to try. Help appreciated.

Edited by asb3pe

Hit space to let go, then activate the EVA rockets. Occassionally you fall off the ladder, or eventually slip off, which is why you're seeing intermittent results. I've never been able to activate the EVA pack while on the ladder.

Aha, thanks. Yes, my routine was to press "EVA" then immediately press "R" and only then would I move away from the ladder. What's odd is that sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

Obviously, letting go of the ladder before I confirmed that my jetpack is actually working was NOT my idea of a wise decision... thus I never thought to even try that. Kerbals aren't really all that bright, are they? LOL

Agreed, the RCS pack is disabled on a ladder, that's why you can use W/S to move up and down it.

I think they could allow W/S to move you up/down the ladder but they could also keep the R key enabled. If you don't press R, then W/S moves you on the ladder, but if you do press R, then your jetpack activates and W/S moves you forward/backward instead.

In fact, this WAS how my game was working... and it made logical sense to me. Except it wasn't working every time, which left me confused and frustrated.

• 5 years later...
On 6/7/2014 at 9:36 PM, WanderingKid said:

Hit space to let go, then activate the EVA rockets. Occassionally you fall off the ladder, or eventually slip off, which is why you're seeing intermittent results. I've never been able to activate the EVA pack while on the ladder.

Thanks dude, I've been looking for a way to activate them. Looked it up. Pressing R didn't work, and no I know why. Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.