Kerbal Corp Wars!

StrahmDude

Holy crap man! My battle ship is under 300 parts! We might want to have a part limit :P

Also I think capturing should only apply to ships with more than a one man crew

have you guys considered classifying ships based upon the part count or perhaps the total cost of a ship, this would create a more fair and logical system than simply having everyone classifying each others ships

also my computer specs are (processor)Intel core i5-3330 3.00 Ghz, (RAM) 8 gb, (system) 64-bit

I'm not entirely sure what that means in terms of running ksp though

have you guys considered classifying ships based upon the part count or perhaps the total cost of a ship, this would create a more fair and logical system than simply having everyone classifying each others ships

also my computer specs are (processor)Intel core i5-3330 3.00 Ghz, (RAM) 8 gb, (system) 64-bit

I'm not entirely sure what that means in terms of running ksp though

That's a good idea actually.

Also you should be fine, I have a slightly better set-up than you it seems. :P (I have exactly twice as much RAM than you)

Edited by choninja21
I'm a big idiot

Yeah, can we change the colony building rule? It says we can only build them on Laythe

i agree with that idea. Also we should up the limit on all buildings.

i did the math and there is no way we can create enough stuff with that amount of points

Edited by xgu28
spelling

We need to add more verity too. There's only four "buildings" listed

yah i agree with that. Also i was thinking what if we all had our own unique buildings that only your corp could build. The idea of having a unique OP building on laythe that gives boosts that will make laythe worth fighting over seems to be a good idea though

yah i agree with that. Also i was thinking what if we all had our own unique buildings that only your corp could build. The idea of having a unique OP building on laythe that gives boosts that will make laythe worth fighting over seems to be a good idea though

That sounds great. The other buildings should be different but have the same function. (Classified similarly to ships)

That sounds great. The other buildings should be different but have the same function. (Classified similarly to ships)

what do you guys think about starting this thing a little after .25 comes out?

Communicating in game, how should we handle that?

what do you guys think about starting this thing a little after .25 comes out?

Communicating in game, how should we handle that?

I think starting it after .25 comes out would be the best option.

As far communication goes, I was thinking Skype or something like that

Edited by choninja21
sigh

Using skype should work just fine, also waiting till after .25 sounds like a good idea.

Also you guys talked about more buildings and new ship classification system.

On the new buildings, I would like to keep it simple, but I could understand the want for variety. What did you all have in mind?

Also there is a max on buildings and we will start out with several buildings.

Secondly the ship classification system. There is two ways we can go about this.

A) Try and hook it up with pricing and do testing to get the numbers right.

B) set a system up where it is like .1 BP Per 1000 ksp dollars, and do testing to get the numbers right. Then for classification we just define by size.

Those are the 2 systems I can see.

ALSO What if we changed every BP to (for example) 1000 ksp dollars and just kept track of it that way?

NOTE: This is the ship, not the ship +the thing that gets it to space.

Finally the to do list:

1) iron out the idea of ship building. (costs and or more ship types)

2) iron out the idea of buildings. (add more buildings and changing numbers/ratios)

3) Work out a solution of capturing/taking over ships. (what if the command pod is impossible to get to? Multiple pods? Not enough room in the pods? (No offence, but I vote to throw the system out, but that is my opinion)

4) Try and get more people

5) get in contact and skype each other and stuff.

6) Figure out recording schedule

7) Decide on starting stuff. (Locations, and BP/ ships and buildings.)

8) Add more stuff if it is good and works well.

9) add more to the to-do list, if you can think of anything I missed.

I will put this on the main page shortly.

Edited by StrahmDude

Using skype should work just fine, also waiting till after .25 sounds like a good idea.

Also you guys talked about more buildings and new ship classification system.

On the new buildings, I would like to keep it simple, but I could understand the want for variety. What did you all have in mind?

Also there is a max on buildings and we will start out with several buildings.

Secondly the ship classification system. There is two ways we can go about this.

A) Try and hook it up with pricing and do testing to get the numbers right.

B) set a system up where it is like .1 BP Per 1000 ksp dollars, and do testing to get the numbers right. Then for classification we just define by size.

Those are the 2 systems I can see.

ALSO What if we changed every BP to (for example) 1000 ksp dollars and just kept track of it that way?

NOTE: This is the ship, not the ship +the thing that gets it to space.

Finally the to do list:

1) iron out the idea of ship building. (costs and or more ship types)

2) iron out the idea of buildings. (add more buildings and changing numbers/ratios)

3) Work out a solution of capturing/taking over ships. (what if the command pod is impossible to get to? Multiple pods? Not enough room in the pods? (No offence, but I vote to throw the system out, but that is my opinion)

4) Try and get more people

5) get in contact and skype each other and stuff.

6) Figure out recording schedule

7) Decide on starting stuff. (Locations, and BP/ ships and buildings.)

8) Add more stuff if it is good and works well.

9) add more to the to-do list, if you can think of anything I missed.

I will put this on the main page shortly.

I agree that we should keep it simple, especially the economy aspect. I think the classes of ships are fine enough as they are though we should base the pricing i think solely off the pricing already in the game(struts would be free), i don't have any idea what the price range would be though.

My ideas for buildings: Kolony(consisting of two hitch-hiker cans as minimum, more cans would result in more population)these would be used to man your ships, Mines(to get you the resources required to build the ships, only can be built on rocky surfaces), Science centers(i don't know what this would give you), Factory(gives you fair amount of money but can be placed anywhere) and the uber building, the Kity (larger scale Kolony,this can only be built on laythe, it gives you huge population buff, moderate amount of money an costs quite a lot to build). It would be an expensive building that you would not want to get destroyed because you can only build it once.

Let me know your thoughts about above ideas.:sticktongue:

this is not to say these should be the only buildings available, these are only the ones i have thought of.

Edited by xgu28

I agree that we should keep it simple, especially the economy aspect. I think the classes of ships are fine enough as they are though we should base the pricing i think solely off the pricing already in the game(struts would be free), i don't have any idea what the price range would be though.

My ideas for buildings: Kolony(consisting of two hitch-hiker cans as minimum, more cans would result in more population)these would be used to man your ships, Mines(to get you the resources required to build the ships, only can be built on rocky surfaces), Science centers(i don't know what this would give you), Factory(gives you fair amount of money but can be places anywhere) and the uber building, the Kity (larger scale Kolony,this can only be built on laythe, it gives you huge population buff, moderate amount of money an costs quite a lot to build). It would be an expensive building that you would not want to get destroyed because you can only build it once.

Let me know your thoughts about above ideas.:sticktongue:

First I am going to start off with that I found a flaw in the pricing system. The lighter armor stuff macy used in his ship is a lot lot LOT more expensive than the heavier armor, so to save money, I would have to build it out of better materials and make it weigh so much it couldn't move. Maybe we should do a exception for carriers where as long as they aren't using the heavy, cheap, 80 impact tolerance armor a lot, they could divide their final price by 3 or 4. before applying missiles or ship you luch already in it.

Finally your idea of buildings. That would make it so we have to keep track of 3 types of currency: people, BP, and science, and then we would have to come up with a generation rate as well as some sort of exchange system for turning science into things. I like the thought, but it would be a pain to keep track of. I could theoretically set up a auto calculating google doc, but it would be complicated and hard to balance. I would rather stick to the universal BP with buildings that produce it, however having mines, factories, science centers,colonies, and cities wouldn't be a bad set up. Mines produce a bit more than factories, but are more choosy with terrain. However the difference then between factories, colonies and science buildings would be tuff. Maybe some sort of bonus for having a colony and a factory near each other would give you a bonus .5 or something. Then maybe there would be some sort of diminishing returns with science centers, so it is much more rewarding to build it on many different planets. We would then need to set up a limit on all of those buildings.

First I am going to start off with that I found a flaw in the pricing system. The lighter armor stuff Macy used in his ship is a lot lot LOT more expensive than the heavier armor, so to save money, I would have to build it out of better materials and make it weigh so much it couldn't move. Maybe we should do a exception for carriers where as long as they aren't using the heavy, cheap, 80 impact tolerance armor a lot, they could divide their final price by 3 or 4. before applying missiles or ship you launch already in it.

Finally your idea of buildings. That would make it so we have to keep track of 3 types of currency: people, BP, and science, and then we would have to come up with a generation rate as well as some sort of exchange system for turning science into things. I like the thought, but it would be a pain to keep track of. I could theoretically set up a auto calculating Google doc, but it would be complicated and hard to balance. I would rather stick to the universal BP with buildings that produce it, however having mines, factories, science centers,colonies, and cities wouldn't be a bad set up. Mines produce a bit more than factories, but are more choosy with terrain. However the difference then between factories, colonies and science buildings would be tough. Maybe some sort of bonus for having a colony and a factory near each other would give you a bonus .5 or something. Then maybe there would be some sort of diminishing returns with science centers, so it is much more rewarding to build it on many different planets. We would then need to set up a limit on all of those buildings.

i acknowledge all of those flaws that you pointed out and i agree that we should only have one point system(my only thought with the currency was that it would be easy to translate into ship building cost), as for the balancing and importance of buildings: for every factory/mine you have you must also have a certain ration of colonies(1:1,1:.5, idk what do you think?). As for the science centers, the amount of science(and BP) should be based on an exponential decay curve(each new center means exponentially less BP), how that curve should look, i have no idea. I like the idea of a super laythe building, the city might work(it would be like 200 times that of a regular colony) or perhaps a different type of building, any suggestions?(in my opinion this should be the only building with a limit on how many times it can be built).

Would this system be too complicated?:huh: let me know what you think.

As for the pricing for the armor, do you mean the structural panels, because i looked and the pricing is fine for those.

i acknowledge all of those flaws that you pointed out and i agree that we should only have one point system(my only thought with the currency was that it would be easy to translate into ship building cost), as for the balancing and importance of buildings: for every factory/mine you have you must also have a certain ration of colonies(1:1,1:.5, idk what do you think?). As for the science centers, the amount of science(and BP) should be based on an exponential decay curve(each new center means exponentially less BP), how that curve should look, i have no idea. I like the idea of a super laythe building, the city might work(it would be like 200 times that of a regular colony) or perhaps a different type of building, any suggestions?(in my opinion this should be the only building with a limit on how many times it can be built).

As for the pricing for the armor, do you mean the structural panels, because i looked and the pricing is fine for those.

I'll let you guys figure this out :P

No not the structural panels. The carrier would be to heavy to turn or move, making it not worth it. Think of the Spirit of kerbin in macey's videos. It had wing connectors. .05 grams and 560 cost. The structural panels (when adding them up to take up the space) are .6 grams and 180 cost. It would cost less, but it would way soooo much more that not even 20 nuclear engines would be able to move it with no fighters in it! I want to use wing connectors because of their lower weight and it has lower impact tolerance, so I want to nerf it's cost to like 60 per or something, but it would then take forever to calculate the cost, because you would have to count everything, so I was just thinking of giving it a net discount where you are only allowed to use a little of the structural panels to armor something important. Also with that we would be required to decorate it some, and make it look good, so it is more pleasing to look at. just a 1/2 cost. To put it in perspective the spirit of kerban would cost (if we convert 1000ksp dollars to .1 bp per) 26.3 BP. Minimalistic with even no lights, 22.7 BP. I would rather build a battleship or ANYTHING that pay that much for some fighter bus that doesn't even attack. If we gave it a 1/2 discount and I remove all of the extras it would cost: 11.4 BP which is still kinda much for a oversized buss don't you think? Note that is with no lights! We all have to add lights.

I would say 1 colony per factory, and 4 factories per city. Then we just put a limit on colonies and cities, so the city is amazing. I would also say it would ad least produce 1 BP by itself. Maybe make it, so for every 2 factories you can put a mine.

science buildings: Now I am just spitting numbers here, but.

Make it cost like 15 and give:

factory: cost 8 gives 6

mine: cost 20 gives 15

Again I am spitting numbers here.

No not the structural panels. The carrier would be to heavy to turn or move, making it not worth it. Think of the Spirit of kerbin in macey's videos. It had wing connectors. .05 grams and 560 cost. The structural panels (when adding them up to take up the space) are .6 grams and 180 cost. It would cost less, but it would way soooo much more that not even 20 nuclear engines would be able to move it with no fighters in it! I want to use wing connectors because of their lower weight and it has lower impact tolerance, so I want to nerf it's cost to like 60 per or something, but it would then take forever to calculate the cost, because you would have to count everything, so I was just thinking of giving it a net discount where you are only allowed to use a little of the structural panels to armor something important. Also with that we would be required to decorate it some, and make it look good, so it is more pleasing to look at. just a 1/2 cost. To put it in perspective the spirit of kerban would cost (if we convert 1000ksp dollars to .1 bp per) 26.3 BP. Minimalistic with even no lights, 22.7 BP. I would rather build a battleship or ANYTHING that pay that much for some fighter bus that doesn't even attack. If we gave it a 1/2 discount and I remove all of the extras it would cost: 11.4 BP which is still kinda much for a oversized buss don't you think? Note that is with no lights! We all have to add lights.

I would say 1 colony per factory, and 4 factories per city. Then we just put a limit on colonies and cities, so the city is amazing. I would also say it would ad least produce 1 BP by itself. Maybe make it, so for every 2 factories you can put a mine.

science buildings: Now I am just spitting numbers here, but.

Make it cost like 15 and give:

factory: cost 8 gives 6

mine: cost 20 gives 15

Again I am spitting numbers here.

I now understand what you meant about the pricing system, a reduction in price does seem to be in order but is 1/2 the right number, again i have no idea i think we will have to test this to ensure its not over or under powered.

The colony to factory to mine/city seems to be a great idea as do the numbers for the science building(I'm think a combination of mines and factories to make a science building). I would make the ratio for the mine higher but have less yield(like 18 to 14).

**Another building idea(just a suggestion) Farms, these would be fairly cheap(8 possibly) but double(or something nice and even) the effectiveness of a colony

Edited by xgu28

I now understand what you meant about the pricing system, a reduction in price does seem to be in order but is 1/2 the right number, again i have no idea i think we will have to test this to ensure its not over or under powered.

The colony to factory to mine/city seems to be a great idea as do the numbers for the science building(I'm think a combination of mines and factories to make a science building). I would make the ratio for the mine higher but have less yield(like 18 to 15).

**Another building idea(just a suggestion) Farms, these would be fairly cheap(8 possibly) but double(or something nice and even) the effectiveness of a colony

Maybe a farm per colony? Maybe each colony will be worth 1/2 without a farm, so people do have to build up their planets. Just a idea.

Also once everything is release, or even soon, I want to do a entire test game just like the real thing, except we are making changes as we play. Bug testing sort of. Nothing will be carried over exept starting planets maybe, and when doing that we can come up with a good starting resources.

Sounds good now i think the next problem is the capturing of kerbals

and ships. I vote throwing out the capturing of ships and you can turn in surviving kerbals for info on what their goal was. People in fighters are useless, but people in a supercarrier are invaluable for example. Some sort of tier system.

p.s. When doing the idea of using kerbal dollars to prie ships, I think the missiles should be included in the price. This is just a idea, we should talk more about it shortly.

Edited by StrahmDude

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.