How to motivate Kerbals

flyboy67109

looking at the terrified faces of most of the kerbals when I launch, they're aren't doing it for the enjoyment. According to the loading screen, there is a need to motivate them, however.

I'm guessing that they're all pretty motivated to go to space, but once they catch sight of the contraption you built to launch them with ... they get their doubts.

I use recruitment ads similar to those used by the US Military. "Be strong. JSP Strong!"

When they actually realize what they're supposed to do, I use lots of recreational activities at the KSC and some serious tax breaks.

Edited by The Jedi Master

Actually, if you followed my primer on the species (shameless plug), you'd know that Kerbals don't sign up for the job of astronaut unless they're quite insane. Most of them are actually coming in for other jobs, and the motivation comes from their "This Could Be You!" posters of scientists, engineers, and janitors at the KSC. The ones that get stuffed into spacesuits are the ones who were deemed inadequate for any of those positions. Why do you think most Kerbals scream their heads off the moment the rocket lifts off? There's some vague promise that if you run enough missions you'll get taken off of active duty and be promoted to janitorial staff, but no Kerbal has ever survived the minimum number of missions required (which is "at least one more, as always").

Actually, if you followed my primer on the species (shameless plug), you'd know that Kerbals don't sign up for the job of astronaut unless they're quite insane. Most of them are actually coming in for other jobs, and the motivation comes from their "This Could Be You!" posters of scientists, engineers, and janitors at the KSC. The ones that get stuffed into spacesuits are the ones who were deemed inadequate for any of those positions. Why do you think most Kerbals scream their heads off the moment the rocket lifts off? There's some vague promise that if you run enough missions you'll get taken off of active duty and be promoted to janitorial staff, but no Kerbal has ever survived the minimum number of missions required (which is "at least one more, as always").

Aww come on. Normal, sane, random people pay good money to get locked into roller-coasters wagons, and they scream their head off when it launches too. And when it's finally over they go round, line up and pay once more for yet another ride.

Astronauts are the lucky ones getting paid for riding.

Aaa, so your space program is like australia.

Where you dump all the prisoners (you are colonial england in this case)

Kerbals, for a period of their life, get death metal music blasted at them 24/7, increasing in volume each day. On the seventh day, a recruiter shows up and calmly reminds them, "There is no sound in space".

How does that work? It seems as if it would motivate Kerbals to not go into space, on account of the fact that death metal is awesome.

Aww come on. Normal, sane, random people pay good money to get locked into roller-coasters wagons, and they scream their head off when it launches too. And when it's finally over they go round, line up and pay once more for yet another ride.

Astronauts are the lucky ones getting paid for riding.

The difference with Kerbals is, the survival rate for getting on the "exploding roller coaster ride" is decidedly sub-50% in most players' space programs. Kerbals may be a bit on the slow side, but I doubt their pattern recognition is that poor.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.