Blocked by part?

For some reason, my probes solar panels won't work. It claims that it's blocked by a random part of the ship, and now I'm missing out on lots of science because I'm doing a flyby of Duna. Any fix/save file editing? ;.;

Edited by Qwotty

Glad it worked out for you. There is certainly no "claim" about it being blocked. Looks like your craft was in the way. It often helps to have solar panels on at least two opposite sides of the ship. That way they will receive sunlight at nearly any angle (except right on the edges). Some people will also slap on the small single panels to take care of the "just in case" edge scenario or for when they forget to extend the main panels.

It's usually a good idea to put a few OX-STAT Photovoltaic Panels on your rocket/probe, in 4 way symetry around the core. That way there is always atleast 1 facing the sun, so you always have a small trickle of power

It's usually a good idea to put a few OX-STAT Photovoltaic Panels on your rocket/probe, in 4 way symetry around the core. That way there is always atleast 1 facing the sun, so you always have a small trickle of power

I forgot to do that! :(

I usually do that because I forget to deploy my panels. :blush:

Glad it worked out for you. There is certainly no "claim" about it being blocked. Looks like your craft was in the way. It often helps to have solar panels on at least two opposite sides of the ship. That way they will receive sunlight at nearly any angle (except right on the edges). Some people will also slap on the small single panels to take care of the "just in case" edge scenario or for when they forget to extend the main panels.

One of my gigantors fell off during launch, sadly.

Putting an RTG on the probe is also always an option...

Haven't unlocked those, sadly. :(

Another useful trick is emergency battery. Add one battery with disabled electric charge. If your probe dies, enable the charge and use it to save the probe.

Some people consider it a cheat but real probes have all kinds of emergency systems as well, including low-level low bandwidth communication systems designed exactly for emergency situations so I don't have a problem imagining that Kerbals have something similar.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.